Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Kompendium:featuring Steve Hackett< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bell Boy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 08:30

Check out the guitar solo at the end of this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8trx9UZjzQE

Also here is the EPK....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk0bpu5luPo

Obviously a MO fan ...
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2012, 15:39

This weekend I got my air mail :) with the Cd and Dvd. This concept album is full of music (68 minutes), dozens of well known studio musicians, a lot of vocals, irish instruments, rock guitars, classical moods, and so on. Every track is a song, mostly sung(?) by Steve Balsamo surrounded with many instrumental stuff. Many, many ideas in every track, sometimes maybe too much. Its nice to have also a 5.1 version. Yes this stuff is something, what other oldfield fans could really love. It doesnt sounds like a imitation of Mikes style, but musicians like Troy Donockley, Steve Hackett or Nick Barrett have their own musical style, maybe in parts influenced by mike.  Please, have a listen to it!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2012, 20:15

Nice! I've been a Hackett fan since the 70's. I was unaware of this recording so went to Steve's site which had an article about this.
    "In a recent Prog Magazine feature Reed explained his aim was to emulate the epic work of Mike Oldfield, Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush."
    Interesting reading. I've been watching a lot of Hackett on youtube lately and having never owned a nylon guitar, decided to restring a Yamaha one at the school I work at. The strings old and grotesque with one busted. Definately different than restringing a steel string acoustic, strat, Les Paul, etc....but I got all the knots tied nicely at the bridge and it was nice to know I can now do that.
I just might buy one. Thanks for sharing this new Hackett output.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2012, 14:52

The beautiful song Lilly - see the video above, is the only contribution(?) from Steve Hackett here. But there are some other good guitarists in other parts.

One of Hacketts last albums 'beyond the shrouded horizon' has some tracks with Oldfield-like guitar works: Loch Lomond remembered me to taurus II, wanderlust has beautiful acoustic guitar, phoenix flown with such a beautiful electric guitar nearby oldfield in two minutes, and hackett has adapted his own four winds instrumental.

Kompendium is something special, because conceptual albums are so rare these days. So much different musicians from progressive rock, folk, classical and musical scene in one project is a lucky circumstance, which doesnt happens very often.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2012, 08:17

Hackett to me, has always been MO's closest rival..........

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2012, 15:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALNa7348lYA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOvH6VNpib8

More of this Epic...
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2012, 19:35

Oddly enough I was directed to this amazing album from another direction. Nick Beggs (ex-pop band kajagoogoo) has produced some brilliant music, a lot of Chapman Stick.

I recommend you check him out, even if he is what is known as a "cottage industry" musician. - Working and producing his own stuff.

Here's his page , complete with Rick Wakeman and many other tours

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
6 replies since Sep. 26 2012, 08:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net