Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Knowning the technique influence your listening?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 03 2009, 20:52

Does knowing how to play, read and write influence the way we listen and enjoy (or get annoyed)?

Hard to tell for me. You often hear "I decided to become a musician after listening to this music". I think the other way could happen too, but it's more subtle (especially for contemporary music, well contemporary art actually, I think your only slight chance to perhaps enjoy it is to understand what's happening). That's what is so cool with music, mix of tech and emotion.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 04 2009, 03:31

Hi Olivier, good topic. I think there are two ways of approaching this. Classical music is based on mastery of technique by many in the orchestra. With progressive rock technique is still important but there is more scope for creativity! Deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2009, 07:47

Good question.I think the answer is probably yes.I appreciate some music more when i understand how it's produced,and in the case of say Oldfield,how the peice is structured.However i don't automatically sit down and try to figured out how it's played.I know how to play a fair bit of Oldfield but a lot of it i haven't a clue how he does what he does but that just makes me appreciate it all the more.
 In the case of something like jazz (not really a fan but one of the local jazzers wants me to do some stuff with him)which in many cases is very complex i think an understanding of what's being played is an advantage.I really don't like music created for musicians which to my ears a lot of jazz is.To me music should be about the emotional content first and technical ability second.Real old country blues for example is technically simple stuff but knowing how to play it doesn't detract from it as i can't put that much emotion into it (mainly cos i never have known real hardship like these guys did).I don't really know how non musicians hear music cos i've been playing since i was 9 years old.I daresay it's different but i can't help breaking a peice down to it's nuts and bolts to see how it works.I know some people can't do this and hear say a particular drum pattern amid a busy peice.
Got me thinking now....

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2009, 10:01

Absolutely, in my case it adds even more layers of enjoyment. I can now appreciate a nicely produced tune and grab ideas from it, the clever little tricks that you end up noticing because you've done something similar, the alternate harmonies you make on your head while listening, and many other things that, for me, make the whole experience of listening to music so much the better.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2009, 14:56

Well, more than the fact that I play and compose, sometimes my listening is influenced by the (of course limited) time I spent in recording studios, either on my own or as an arranger for others. Since I first recorded in a studio, and that was six years ago, I really cannot listen to a complex piece of music without at least a small part of my brain thinking about how it was made, what came first and what came later, what effects were used, how the various instruments' sounds were processed (or not processed), etc. This, of course, doesn't detract me at all from the full enjoyment of the piece - in some ways it's augmented by the fact that I know (or I think about) what's behind it.

My actual playing and composing is extremely simple. The reason I love some of my favourite music (two examples for all: Genesis and Mike Oldfield) is the fact that most of it is utterly impossible for me to play, and I'm fully aware of that. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2009, 22:50

Caveman expresses my oppinions well. Yes, I do change my perception of music due to my experiences. It makes the music I like more interesting to dissect in my head. I can see the people like Jon Lord or Brian May doing what they did, when they did it and how. In some ways it makes the music more enjoyable. But it does remove some of the mystery and awe I felt as a kid towards these jokesters when they were once superheroes to me(a lot still are). Fagen+Becker, Ferry+Manzanera+Macay, etc......all quite funny individuals. With skills and an agenda.......
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2009, 03:27

I experience a bit of frustration when playing guitar and trying to apply theory and technique according to traditional sources. For example, some of Mike's playing isnt out of the book! However I end up picking out notation and experiment with things! Knowing how music pieces are constructed is good in that there is a system to follow for a particular effect. Like Jim, it does take away the awe and mystery of why certain pieces are the way they are. I love mixing it up and annoying the neighbours! Theres really no limits if you throw the theory books over the couch and give it a go! Deb
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2009, 04:38

You can't ignore music theory completely though. There are certain concepts/things that need to be adhered to. Without them everyone would sound like a garage band made up of 14 year olds. I've heard them in my life several times. You don't want that experience. It can cause nausea and permanent nerve damage. Sonic concepts in music have a very mathematical approach in human appreciation of same. Stevie Ray Vaughn for example said he never read anything regarding theory, yet he was a blues legend. The reason being, in his head, he "stuck" to the music theory that applies to blues music. Nothing written/read by him, but another acquired skill in music of technical ability that does involve theory(gosh that John Slaboda fella would like this post)!
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2009, 07:03

True Jim, basic theory is a prerequisite to composing and recording music. Whilst listening to various tunes, harmonies, chord changes and knowing how these are created is of interest, capturing and expressing emotion in music is an art. Many talented artists can do this. Whilst I might question Mikes taste in promo shots, he has written many beautiful songs and instrumentals. Credit given where deserved. Deb
Profile PM 
ommaGeddon Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2009, 08:19

I just like what I like and understanding what’s going on from a musical point of view doesn’t ruin things for me.

However, I do sometimes enjoy Allan Holdsworth’s soloing more when I’m not sure what he’s doing or where he’s going. How someone can bring so much technique and lyrical beauty to the table at the same time never ceases to amaze me.

I gave up playing guitar 10 years ago because of rheumatoid arthritis but these days I have a lot of fun with a computer and a MIDI keyboard. I’d say my knowledge of music technology enhances my listening experience of a lot of music. It also helps to remind me of just how good people like the Steely Dan guys were.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2009, 18:23

Hey Ommageddon, its great that Midi systems and home computer studios that we can use without physically picking up an instrument are now affordable and can reproduce good quality sound. Playing guitar causes sore wrists and fingers! My right wrist is in constant pain lol! Deb
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2009, 00:35

After I left that post I listened to some MO. One thing I listened to was my fav, part of Crises, about 12-15 minutes into it, the "wedding" section which was discussed about a year ago. I did notice a couple of clashing out-of-scale notes, yet this is in my top 10 precious pieces of music. Another rule about music, well "beauty" to be more accurate. In order to have beauty, there must be flaws. Someone or something must have flaws or it will be so perfect it is bland, boring. In this case, yeah, throw the theory book three sheets to the wind.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Yann Kovic Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2009, 02:40

*Sorry for my poor english*

Personnally, I came to the music very later (I was 28). I've been inspired by some musical groups, but Mike is the one that decided me to learn guitar.

I've tried some differents styles, from finger picking to the jazz, but I always come back to the Mike Oldfield opus.

Recently, I've started classical guitar learning, because I thougt It was what it seems to be closer to the Mike attitude. And indeed, I felt that it can help me to improve my playing technic.

Today I try to study the complex nails playing of Mike, but I seems to be very difficult. I often come back to the mediator...  :/

"We are all that our ears have heard", I'm sure that is the real answer for the question "How have I come to the music?".

--------------
I like beer, I like cheese, I like the smell of a westerly breeze...

http://www.yannkovic.be/
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2009, 04:04

Welcome Yann! Yes Mike's technique with his nails finger picking is so difficult! He plays so quickly too! There are many of us here inspired by Mike's technique, so you are in good company (guitar players and instrumentalists). Check the MIDI and TABS  site for some handy tips! Deb
Profile PM 
13 replies since Dec. 03 2009, 20:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net