Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Kevin Ayers and the whole world 7-30-70, feat. Robert Wyatt and Mike Oldfield< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 01 2008, 14:30

I "procured a file", I do these things, whatever....but I got this interesting, almost an hour MP3. I'd read many years ago that MO in pre-TB times was involved in the above band. Jesus it was bad. It was moderately well recorded for a live album of that time. But it seemed like the only musician who was not drunk, or at least was "concentrating", was the guitar player....IE one young 16yo MO. Even to be allowed to play in a bad band like that would be an honor for a 16yo. How did he get that gig at so young? It had a lot of Iron Butterfly Vox cheezy organ in it. It even sounded like them, but mixed with Frank Zappa/Mothers. Strange.....pretty worthless really. Apparently it was live in Holland 1970. Any history on this recording?? I think it's a.....curiosity at least.
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 02 2008, 14:34

Sounds like the recording from July 30th, 1970 in Drijbergen, Holland (VPRO, Picnic) to me which was broadcasted on radio and tv.

There is a bootleg featuring 7 tracks with the contribution of Mike:

Colours Of The Day

1. The Oyster And The Flying Fish
2. Lady Rachel
3. We Did It Again
4. Hat Song
5. Clarence In Wonderland
6. Colores Para Dolores
7. Why Are We Sleeping (incl. Jig/Pretty Little Girl)

Mike was as at least as drunk as all the other members and if it wasn´t for Kevin and his band, Mike would never ever had the chance of improvising and developing his style and music.

So let´s say thanks to Kevin.

:-))

Edited by manintherain on April 02 2008, 14:35
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 01:14

Thanks Kevin.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 07:09

I recently got a copy of the Whole World gig in Hyde Park.It's really odd as the band sound really untogether (nissed as a pewt me thinks and then some).Fast forward a year or so and witness the Radio One In Concert cd and they are a lot better (augmented by orchestra arranged bt David Bedfors).Together,tight and with a lot less of the 'experimental' blips and farts.I read that Mike flipped out and left and only rejoined on condition that he redid all the arrangements.Apparently the rest of the band where unhappy about this as Mike was so young and he gave them parts to play.Fair enough but if the In Concert gig is an indication of this then i think it's clear vindication of Mike's decision.Just listen to Why Are We Sleeping from both cds for proof.Although Kevin must be thanked for taking on Mike at such a young age.And it did Mike no harm working alondside Bedford.As for how he landed the gig so young....because he was so damn good.Considering the day he auditioned was his first serious go at playing bass and that he'd dragged a Sound City amp head,4x12 speaker cabinet and a big,old style guitar case across London and throught the tube form his manager's office to the reheasal space and still got it together enough to pass the audition is impressive though.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 12:44

I followed a link on a thread and saw a video of this band. It was kind of a cute song. It kind of felt like Herman's Hermits gone punk. MO was playing bass, hair a lot longer than some '73 photos. Fun stuff.......history. As a general rule I don't give a f^&% about history unless it is about music or aviation/space flight. The journey is forward.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
4 replies since April 01 2008, 14:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net