[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Kate Bush< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Covenant Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 28 2014, 05:57

Well...
A part of me has died a little today.
As you probably all know, Kate Bush (the female Oldfield for me! ) has announced gig dates. First time since 1979 that she's played concerts.

Now, to be brutally honest, she's lost her singing voice in the interveening years, but this string is doubtless a one-off.

But all the shows are at the London Apollo. Nowhere else.
Which was the first disappointment.

And today the tickets went on general sale. And my other half was given a place in the "you will get tickets" queue... and THEN they tell you that they are £150 each. (This is NOT a tout - this is standard pricing! )

It was with DEEP disappointment that I had to tell her not to get them. What with travel and accomodation, nearly £1000 for one gig? Sorry Kate - I can't afford that, I personally don't know anyone who could....

So VERY very disappointed that she has allowed this out and out fleecing of (basically) a captive audience.

(sigh)   :/
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2014, 07:04

In the 90's I used to get so jealous of the UK whilst reading Kerrang, Melody Maker etc and seeing advertisements for a proliferation of artists I considered rock gods, playing at seemingly humble venues within a hop, skip and a jump of each other.

Often if someone you like comes to Australia and you live in Adelaide, you have to travel a thousand kilometres or more to the East Coast cities to see them. I have done this many times, but I have also felt your pain many many many many times over.

More often your favorite acts just doesn't even bother to come to Australia because it's too damn far away.

Still grateful to Mike for that *one* visit and while he was still great.  :D
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2014, 08:09

It's great Kate feels she is able to play live shows after so long, but because of it being so long, fan dissapointment was always going to occur!! she is playing a big number of gigs in a row, but the Appolo only holds about 3500 so many people were going to miss out, but you never know, if she has a great time doing these shows, she may do more. It will be interesting to see who will be in her band, I wonder if she'll ask David Gilmour?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2014, 08:52

I did try to get tickets this morning,without any success. I've known a few people who managed to get on the pre-sale because they've been signed to her mailing list(not a special one for the gigs btw),which is fair enough.

Even if she played bigger venues and/or other dates around the UK/Europe/World I personally think it would be ending like this (e.g. Monty Python at the O2 residency).

Prices are so OTT,even to UK standards (in Brazil concert tickets are normally a rip off due to 50% discount to students/over 60s/teachers(city/state/federal schools).Nowadays concerts are the major source of money for artists...even festivals I've been calling a day because 90 quid for a ticket is too much!!!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2014, 16:43

Yes, I sat for 8 mins of panic this morning trying to get tickets….   £155…ouch….. though I would have paid it,
and £455 for meal and ticket……

How much money is Kate going to make on this tour…
22 nights x 2000 seats x £49-£155 tickets…..

I hope that she adds more, as Im desperate to sees the show…
Though trying to get through on the phone and a collapsed web
shop was a joke……...
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2014, 06:39

I'm sure she's not exactly broke considering her past success and her wealthy background, but I hope she makes some money from the concerts.
I think her last record was very brave and interesting and propably didn't make her as money as it could have if it had been the radio friendly record a lot of people propably expected.
I really doubt that her last record even covered its own recording costs if you would start doing some accounts, so I don't blame Kate for not doing it all for charity.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 30 2014, 05:28

I wish I could have considered buying tickets (I even had a code to buy 2 days before it was open to the general public) but the cost and timing were bad for me. I'm consoling myself that there will likely be a concert film of some kind.

More or less exactly the same thing happened when Mike did the Then and Now Tour and I still regret (a) not seeing Mike live, (b) that there was never any concert DVD/video released.
Profile PM 
6 replies since Mar. 28 2014, 05:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net