Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: John Cleese's recording session< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 14 2002, 22:38

Yes, I remembered wrong - it was recorded in America and brought over on DAT. Looks like I'll have to find another example ;)
Profile PM 
paul@mikeoldfield.org
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 16 2002, 04:04

Issues and problems with MVR can always be submitted via the technical support form at www.mikeoldfield.org

Paul
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 16 2002, 16:40

Its cool everyone I know what you mean.
Profile PM 
Mandolin
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 17 2002, 03:23

I hope that the speed at which mike has completed the rough draft of part 1 doesn't mean that the instruments are all computer approximations. I am a traditionalist and I feel that much of mikes music has suffered as a result of him embracing new technology (sax on tres lunas). Mr Cleese's MCing would be a real let down if it goes "Computer...Computer...etc"
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2002, 10:38

Mike has said in several interviews that he is going to play all the music by hand. He only mixes the pieces together with the computer. Afterall, the music was written 25 years ago, and just play wolud naturally dont take long time. Like Mike once said

"This time I do not have to write the music"

Which of course will speed things up a lot.

So dont worry Mandolin  ;)

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
The Music Police
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 17 2002, 19:33

I share Mandolins opinion even though I regard computers as useful for certain music genres.I was a little dissapointed in Tubular bells 2.Don't get me wrong it's filled with nice music on the whole.Although it is too regular ie timing over quantzized and too many samples(mr horn...any takers).

I hold my hand up if Im wrong here but didn't Mike give the impression that album was to be totally and made entirely from older and traditional instruments and hand made.It turned into something completely different from what I atleast was expecting.

The Music Police.Keeping the street's safe from criminal sound.

:D
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 18 2002, 11:31

well hes not using Mr Horn this time...so there ya go. maybe he'll actually stick to his previous plan.

btw i love TB2...better than the others. but liked some of the de-trevored tracks that were released more than the ones on the actual album. i loved the early version of Clear Light better than the album version.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2002, 15:00

Agreed completely. The pre-Trevorised tracks sound way more alive and interesting than what was finaly released.
In the few years leading up to TB2 Mike talked of recording parts 3 and 4 of TB using the same acoustic and electro-acoustic instruments as the first. (I still think this is an amzing idea and certainly artisticaly interesting. It may yet remain the one great recording he never did.) Not doing a rehash like what happened. Thats one of the reasons I was so disapointed with TB2, I was expecting something different. I also agree completely about it being over quantizized, it sounds like its had all the life and spontinaity squeezed out of it, as well as at times sounding like a Walt Disney production. What's interesting  about listening to TB2 now is how dated it sounds already, those synth sounds place it well and truely in the early 90's. Where as the original still sounds utterly timeless. This is where I worry about the rerecording, I think its hard to view it as anything other than a 30th aniversary novelty. I'm not a fan of the idea I must admit. But we'll see.

By the way we still have no word on who, if anybody, Mike is working with. Is Tom Newman on board, does anybody know.
Profile PM 
James
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 18 2002, 19:39

Im all for the latest incarnation of the next 30th birthday version ofTubular bells.I do hope Mike doesn't say one thing then do another this time like what happened with Tubular bells 2.I agree with Toby some good points there.
Melomaniac
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 25 2002, 13:50

I also agree with Toby. After more than 20 years following Mike´s career and listening and reading all the interviews possible, the only thing I´m sure is that you shouldn´t trust what he says because he normally does the contrary or forgets about what he intended. There are a lot of examples of this: concerts and tours which didn´t exist later, going to live to his house garden as a protest against computerised music and later making some of his more computerised albums ( except Amarok)...I wouldn´t like to be boring, but I must insist on the idea that making another TB (in spite of being 30 anniversary) is what we say in spanish " lanzar piedras sobre tu propio tejado" somethig like " throwing stones against your own roof". Loss of credibility as a musician, the man who always makes the same record and this kind of stuff.
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2002, 18:48

Melomaniac, have you tried http://tubular.net/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=LostPass;CODE=00 ??
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 26 2002, 08:41

i also would have liked it if he had made Tubular Bells parts 3 and 4 instead of a new Part 1 and 2. it would have been more like a sequel...and would have made TB3, in effect, a better kind of sequel because it has new music also.....hmm.....maybe he took his ideas for parts 3 and 4 and used some of them for TB3?

i did say that i liked some of the de-trevored tracks better than the originals....this is very true except for Weightless and Sentinel. i like the curent TB2 versios better. i know its not that popular, but i also grew to like Tattoo over time. sounds powerful to me. my liking of TB2 could be related to the fact that it was the first MO album i ever held in my hands and really listened to. i had others taped off but that is one that i really listened to.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Slightly Sampled
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 07 2002, 11:00

I must admit that I like TB2 better than TB1 ( don't shoot! ).  I think TB sounds sloppy, to be honest.  I feel there are too many bum notes and poor tunings.  Maybe the new one wil be cleaner.  
What I did'nt like about TB2 was the Alan Rickman outro to "part 1".  I know it is an electronic album, but pointing out each sampled instrument was a bad move.  And Sampled BELLS?  For shame!  The sampled Saxes on Tres Lunas are literally laughable.  It sounds like a video game!....oh wait...

I also liked TB3 a LOT, but it doesn't deserve the TB name as it doesn't follow the same patterns.  Man In The Rain is a stunning piece of pop!
Tonight with Trevor Mcdonald
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 07 2002, 11:38

No shooting and everyones opinion counts.Something tells me Mike s first Tubulat Bells cant be improved.Its the little foibles that make it the unique masterpice it is.I mean how can Mike manufacture that same fearful,vulnerable honesty he held when he wrote and when he recorded it.The original holds tremendous emotional depth and sincerity.ok despite the cave man bit Perhaps LOL chuckle.So I say take the little wobbly bits and embrace them and be glad they are there. :laugh:
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2002, 18:48

Trevor, I couldn't have put it better myself.
Profile PM 
Even Later Tonight with Trevor M
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 07 2002, 20:12

Why Thankyou Toby!

and Goodnight from me until next week when I will be reporting on low quality super market fish fodder and the very latest on posh spice's new pet monkey .

Goodnight and(cue the tonight theme music  ( la la la dee de dum did de de de de       woooosh) :/
anita
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 11 2002, 08:12

john cleese is crap and im not bothered about him i just want big mike to get off his bum and do some concerts hes the greatest.
G
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 12 2002, 16:35

Can't hardly wait for a next album.
Just wanna hear those tipical Oldfield noises.
Mike, You're the best.

G.
Max
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 25 2002, 11:30

I really hope Mike puts more effort to this one than the last two albums, cause they're just compilations of ideas and melodies, with very little instrumentation (compared to his 70's albums). The only point of making a re-recording would be to outdo the first one, which I really hope he does otherwise the perfectionist he was back then has vanished. Return to the centre of the earth was very positive in that way, hopefully this will be too...
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2002, 13:09

Tonight With Trevor Mcdonald - I agree with you wholeheartedly  :)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
39 replies since Sep. 11 2002, 08:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net