Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: John Cleese's recording session< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 11 2002, 08:11

Mike has sent this message to The Official Mike Oldfield Information service:

Hi There 
Just to let you know that we have recorded John Cleese in Santa Barbara, USA. 
The session was very funny and the finished edited soundfiles were sent via FTP transfer to England. We were in telephone contact during the session and the finished track sounds wonderful. 
I have finished Part 1 of T Bells in rough for the moment and have started work on Part 2. 
The full session including all the chit chat will be available to listen to as streaming audio sometime around the release.
Profile PM 
NabLa
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 11 2002, 13:43

r00lez! can´t wait for the launch time...
James
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 11 2002, 14:31

Wow good old industrious Mike Eh...Well done Mr Cleese also.
theweightless Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 11 2002, 17:36

he's a fast man..finished part one already  :cool:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2002, 18:34

Am I totaly mistaken or will there be a sequel to the MVR-game Tr3s Lunas included on the Tubular Bells rerecording. I remember i heard something about Tubular World not long ago. Am I way out of line here or will there be a sequel?

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2002, 19:30

Quote (theweightless @ Sep. 11 2002, 19:36)
he's a fast man..finished part one already  :cool:

just a Rough version,not the finished product! ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sephirot Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2002, 02:20

He said he gonna concert when he finishes the rerecording of TB. Well he better be!

[QUOTE]...believe me i wasn't even there!

--------------
Lost in Static 18...
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2002, 03:25

YAY!!! :)  ok well the Cleese bit is done.  Would be nice to hear the entire session with John... maybe something to think about including as part of a second CD with the original TB demo... hint hint Mike!?!?!  

Now, round about what part of 2003 will this be released?  My guess would be May 25th since that, if I'm not mistaken, was the original release date.  Just a hunch though :cool:  

Don't remember anything bout Tubular World... sorry.  Hey but it's an idea :)  

Oh yes and the question I always ask... but never seem to get a "solid answer"(this is aimed at Dark Star) is......
Will this re-recording be released in the USA??????????  

Attention Mike Oldfield... America is still wondering when you will include us again!!!  Tell your record company to "up it" and release something here!!!  Thanks... your American friends :)  

Christopher
Profile PM 
Ludor Tudor Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2002, 04:18

Yohoo!
This is one of the moments in my life I'm really waiting for! Finaly there will be a version of Tubular bells that's younger then me... The original one is 7 years older, and one of the best albums (my oppinion...) - so this - I belive - will be one of the best albums ever!
I'm just so happy that part one allready is finnished in rough! :laugh:

--------------
Kjell at oldfield.no
Why don't you have a try to win at the competition?
Profile PM WEB 
chris@mikeoldfield.org
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 12 2002, 12:28

Christopher,

We don't release Mike's album's, so speak with Warner's on your behalf to get their news.

In this case, they are telling us that Tres Lunas is to be released in the States, but they can't give us any confirmed date, so don't shoot the messenger!

We spend many many hours running the Official Information Service and Dark Star unpaid and as a hobby in our spare time, and whatever your personal thoughts about us, we are doing a lot to provide free official Mike Oldfield news via the web, the newswire, and the information line as well as producing a respected fanzine with lots of exclusive content.

The whole thing is a whole lot more work than anyone could ever imagine, and feedback like yours makes us question whether it is really worth it.

The service will be continuing short term, but long term, the prospects for our continuing the service are far from certain.

Chris
melomaniac
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 12 2002, 13:52

Releasing Mike´s new recordings in Usa? I don´t know but if you think I´m finding very hard to buy Thou art in Heaven new cd-single here in Spain ( the only country where it has been released, I think), what can you expect from Usa?
And I also believe that Mike can do very little about this question. If the record company, whatever it be, doesn´t see the possibility of selling a lot of records, they hardly will release Mike´s new music. Unfortunately, this is not Mike´s best moment in relation to sales. By the way, can anybody tell me something about tres Lunas sales and charts in Uk?
Here, in Spain it has sold over 100.000 copies at the moment, a good figure for this market today (only a few horrible singers from a Tv program sell a high amount of cds these days here), not so good in comparison to others Mike,s records sales figures in the recent past.
Regards and Good luck for fans in the Usa
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2002, 17:40

100'000 in Spain is pretty good going. Unfortunately it sold bugger all here in the UK. I'm not sure it even got in the top 100? Q magazine ( the biggest UK music mag) finally got round to giving it a review and pretty much brushed it aside saying the album sounded 'mostly vague'.
It would be interesting to know at the end of the day exactly how many people registered to play MVR.

Back to the original topic: I wonder whether finishing part 1 in 'rough' means roughly mixed or roughly recorded. Probably both. He certainly works fast.
Profile PM 
Iain Duncan Smith
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 12 2002, 19:19

Hey Mike
Give those Dark Star Boya a pay Rise..... LoL
christopher
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 13 2002, 21:59

Chris (DS)

I didn't mean for you all to take that so personally... although looking at how it was written in anger with Warner and their stupid promises... I did make a bit of a jab at you lot... and I'm sorry!  

I appreciate everything you all do... but I tend to get frustrated cause you all pass along info from the record company that ends up being shot down in the end... for whatever reason people get screwed!  Not your alls fault I know... but it is very frustrating... his record company and their empty promises... past and present!  

And Mike still hasn't told me to what to do about that bleeding registration number.  I still can't play his game... so much for updates I suppose.  

I would think that since John Cleese is the MC and is very well known in the states... not to mention that everyone knows the "Theme to the Exorcist"... it might do well a second time out.  

Anyhoo... like others I too get a bit frustrated with Mike and his record company... don't mean to take it out on the messenger!  

Christopher
chris@mikeoldfield.org
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 14 2002, 03:27

Christopher,

If you are having problems with MVR, we'll happily forward mail to Colin Dooley (Oldfield Interactive's Technical Support) for you - just mail us at mvr@mikeoldfield.org

Thanks for taking the time to clear up the comments from the previous post, too - it's appreciated!

Best regards

Chris
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2002, 07:26

(though this would be more fitting into the troubleshooting forum)
Christopher, in case you were the Anonymous with the registration through a firewall problem, the new 1.1e update promised to be able to register through a proxy server, so it might be worth a try...
Andreas
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2002, 11:08

Ah! So they recorded Cleese in the USA eh? Perhaps that will be an incentive to release the new TB in the USA as well!!

I know that when he was doing TB2 out here in LA, that the finished product was released in the states. hopefully since he at least recorded Johnny's voice here that he will release it here too.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2002, 16:59

It's strange that Mike wasn't personaly there for the recording of such an important part. I really, really, really sincerely hope Cleese's version is subtle like Viv Stanshal's and not like Alan Rickman's bombastic rendition on TBII.

ps Does anybody know what 'FTP transfer' means. Is that just a highspeed internet line.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 14 2002, 18:48

FTP is the file transfer protocol...does what it says on the tin, really (that is, it's used for transferring files across the internet). They'll have put the audio files on a computer acting as an FTP server, and Mike will then have downloaded them from there with an FTP client (although it could have been the other way round, with them uploading to Mike's server from a client...).

It's not so uncommon for sessions to be done down a wire like that, even for crucial parts like lead vocals (and voiceovers, of course). One example that springs to mind would be Patrick Stewart's parts for Rick Wakeman's 'Return to the Centre of the Earth' which I believe were done via ISDN.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2002, 19:24

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 14 2002, 20:48)
One example that springs to mind would be Patrick Stewart's parts for Rick Wakeman's 'Return to the Centre of the Earth' which I believe were done via ISDN.

As far as I know,Rick Wakeman did travel to the US to record Patrick Stewart´s narration for Return to the Centre of the Earth(I saw some pix from the sessions).
Maybe the finished product was sent that way.

I´m also a Wakeman fan

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
39 replies since Sep. 11 2002, 08:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net