Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Jean Michelle Jarre ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tarquincat Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 17 2014, 06:04

I just wondered as Jean Michelle Jarre is probably the only comparable artist in terms of having sustained mainstream chart success as an instrumentalist, what people think of his music ?

Has Mike Oldfield ever expressed a public opinion ?
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 23 2014, 10:03

Putting this as tactfully as possible… whilst being interviewed about instrumental music he was dismissive of Jarre and Vangelis in the same sentence.

That's not to say that it continued to be his opinion though, we all know people's opinions can change over time.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 23 2014, 19:51

I always heard about Mike putting down Jarre, but I never read specifically what he said. But I never cared about it, really. I've been a fan of Jarre since I was 15, I think, a couple good years before I discovered Oldfield. Equinoxe was already one of my favourite pieces of music (and still is) way before Tubular Bells first hit my ears. I like them both, for different reasons and in different ways. Also, I think their careers got severely less interesting as time raged on (even though I think Jarre's rerecording of Oxygène was way more tasteful and interesting than Oldfield's own Tubular Bells 2003, but hey, that's just me).

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2014, 00:39

I love all that stuff up to Concerts in China.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2015, 20:29

Mike's comments could be indicative of someone who has heard every album Jarre and Vangelis have made.  They could equally be of someone who (as many do with TB) heard one of the big ones once, didn't like it, and saw nothing in any other snatches that they heard or saw to change opinions.

The impression I get is that he resented the Venn diagram that others drew when referring to the music they produced.  He would undoubtedly have made a distinction between his initial preference for acoustic and electric instrumentation and his sentiment about music that you could feel and that was played with meaning, compared to what they were able to achieve with early electronica.  By the time he was adopting the finest keyboards for his own ends, and the lines were blurring, he would likely still not approve of the layperson making the comparison.

What the likelihood is that Mike might have downloaded a bit of J-MJ recently is, I can't say.  I like to think that he might enjoy some of it, but I will refrain from laying you the odds! :p

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
4 replies since Nov. 17 2014, 06:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net