Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I've finally got it..., And I rather like it!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ebony Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 05 2008, 08:09

It took me a while, but I eventually bought it (thanks, ebay!;).

And, wow, I really wish I'd got it sooner. It's so rock & roll!  Ok, so it's cheesy 80's hair rock, but it's still awesome.

I'm afraid I can't say anything more constructive as of now - I've got to listen to it a bit more first.  Not that that's going to be much of a problem...

Just thought I'd share.
:D
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 08:23

Quote (Ebony @ June 05 2008, 13:09)
I eventually bought it

Congratulations! This news is quite of the splendid!

There's nothing - nothing - like getting some new music that you like, is there? Sets the whole day up right.
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 16:38

Oh, most definitely.  Can't beat it.  And you can't beat that first listen, when everything is new and you just sit there thinking, "whoa..."

What made it all the more better was the fact it lived up to my anticipation.  It would have been a bit of a letdown if I'd bounced back from the postbox all exciteable and put it on, only to find I couldn't stand it...
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 18:02

I have to say my first listen to Guitars was far from positive. That "cheesiness" factor, plus the lack of depth to many of the tracks left me cold. And I so wanted to love it on first sight. As Alan says, sets your day up when you hear great new music, but puts a cloud on it when you're so disappointed.

However, a few years and re-visiting the album I finally "got it".

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: June 06 2008, 20:07

I must admit, some parts do make me cringe inwardly just a little bit.  I think it's something to do with the drum sounds, and I have no clue about the technicalities of such things, but I'm sure I've seen their virtues exalted </sarcasm> somewhere else on this board.

As of so far, there isn't a track I'll skip, though I'm still not familiar with it, and I've taken to playing it on random which seems wrong for an MO album; usually the tracks are in some semblance of order and the whole atmosphere is ruined by hitting the shuffle button.

And, although I like it, I think it's going to be a hard one for me to "get", meaning the album as a whole.  Probably because every track is a definite track; they don't fade in and out of each other, they aren't a part of something that could easily be a continuous piece of music (a la TBII or TSODE).  But I guess you can say the same about things like QE2, or Discovery, or Voyager.  It's highly likely I'm just trying to read too much into things, and find hidden meanings where there isn't any. That happens quite a lot...
:)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 02:32

That's great, Ebony. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. So when are we having a 'Guitars' party?? Since there's a sort of 'scorched' theme, we could have a bonfire or maybe a weenie roast. Imagine it - we'd get to swat at floating "Embers", tell a-"Muse"-ing stories 'round the fire, and retrieve fallen marshmallows "From the Ashes".

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 02:53

I really like this album too, and, what with TBIII on one side and MB on the other, an amazingly creative 18 months or so for Mike.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 07:34

Quote (trcanberra @ June 07 2008, 07:53)
I really like this album too, and, what with TBIII on one side and MB on the other, an amazingly creative 18 months or so for Mike.

He was really busy for a spell there was`nt he?It kind of took me back to when I first got into Mike during the late 70`s/early 80`s.You know he was`nt hanging about releasing stuff.He sounded like he was enjoying himself making the music.And he was turning up on the tv quite a bit doing little live sets etc.So ok there`s maybe nothing especially groundbreaking or complex about those albums.But there was still much to admire and enjoy on all three of them for me.Even though I don`t like them all equally I must admit.So probablly a lot of that went along way into me liking guitars from the offset,and just accepting it for what it was.Dodgy synth guitar moments and all really.Maybe if it had been the first Mike album for three/four years or something I may have felt differently about it.That said I think Muse,Cochise,Summit Day,Out Of Sight,Four Winds,Out Of Mind are all top notch stuff.Some of the rest of the album is maybe a little bit "filler" at times to me but there`s probably something there for everybody.Can`t say I really dislike or skip any of it though even listening back now.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 07:43

Apart from "Summit Day", which I think is great, this isn't one of my favourite Mike albums. Fortunately "The Millennium Bell" ended the year on a positive note for me in this regard. Sadly, apart from "Moonwatch", TB3 did not resonate with me either.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2008, 15:48

Quote (Ebony @ June 05 2008, 16:38)
...you can't beat that first listen, when everything is new and you just sit there thinking, "whoa..."

Yes. I've been fondly reminiscing about those good old days. Nevermind that most of them were only about a year ago!

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
InsideOfYou Offline

Posted: July 26 2010, 04:58

Strange as it may sound to some here, I 'got' it straight away. A very enjoyable late period CD (I have it on tape too!;) from Mike, showcasing his (modern) guitar capabilities.

What did you guys want, an album overdubbed with trip-hop nonsenses like Jeff Beck's "Who Else" ?!?  ;)
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: July 28 2010, 22:42

Quote (InsideOfYou @ July 26 2010, 17:58)
Strange as it may sound to some here, I 'got' it straight away. A very enjoyable late period CD (I have it on tape too!;) from Mike, showcasing his (modern) guitar capabilities.

What did you guys want, an album overdubbed with trip-hop nonsenses like Jeff Beck's "Who Else" ?!?  ;)

Guitars is high on my list for me, being a guitarist.
I like the fact it was produced using mainly guitar sounds.
:)
Profile PM 
11 replies since June 05 2008, 08:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net