Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: iTunes special release of Music of the Spheres< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
arron11196 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 17:08

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Mar. 25 2008, 10:48)
Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 23 2008, 03:24)
Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 23 2008, 00:26)
@ Blue Dolphin: it's VBR, but all the files are more or less 160 kbps AAC.

That's interesting...the ones I bought from the UK store are all 128kbps CBR.

oh my! That's even less quality than I've thought. Why do you pay for that if I may ask?

I think I'm going to wait when it's released in iTunes Plus package (256 kbps AAC). I'm not going to pay for 128/160 kbps for classical music. I can instantly hear the difference compared to a cd. 256 kbps AAC gets closer to uncompressed music in my humble opinion.

I totally agree, I personally too can hear the difference a lot in classical works between 256 and anything below it... given the dynamic range it needs to just "breathe", it seriously loses out, and seems a little flat without the extra kbps.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 11:14

I received a "My Alerts" notice from iTunes today informing that they have added the live version to their Canadian listings.  I would like to think that it's due to the mail they've gotten from North American fans, but it's more likely that they had always intended to offer it for sale here-but are just so incompetently slow.  I did not check the other regional iTunes stores, but I would hope that the same listing is being offered to my American comrades down south.

I feel A LITTLE bit placated, but I'm certainly not spending $20 to get the entire set because I, of course, already bought the actual CD.  I'll only spend the $14 for the live tracks-every downloaded version of the live album I've heard has glitches in it.
Profile PM 
Fred Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 12:14

Hi folks, I'm new here, so go easy on me.  :)

I'm a long-time MO fan, though first time poster on this forum.  I remember when a friend breathlessly burst into my college dorm room and "you have to listen to this."  I did, and there was no going back.  And I have to say, being a 30-year MO fan in the U.S. hasn't been easy.

With regard to iTunes and MotS...there's been a lot posted here that's just erroneous.  Several posters are – justifiably – upset about the way that MotS has been picked up in iTunes.  The fault lies in two places: in the EU, the iTunes folks have to abide by the various EU economic regulations, which (still! ) differ across countries and drive the variable pricing that's often seen in the various iTunes stores.  Also, as regards the studio version vrs. the studio + live version, that's entirely up to the label.  iTunes will happily sell whichever version is delivered to them by the label.

Which takes us to the U.S.  In the U.S., plain and simply, it seems the label has simply dropped the ball.  

Try searching for "Mike Oldfield" on Decca's web site, or on Mercury's web. (Decca and Mercury are variously listed as MotS U.S. label.  That confusion is not a Good Thing.)  MO doesn't exist for his own label.  Distinct from the excellent promotion given MotS in the U.K., there is no promotion of this album in the U.S.

Finally, some news about the U.S. iTunes versions of MotS.  Yes, versions.  iTunes now carries both the studio and the studio + live version.

I've just written an iTunes review of MotS for the studio version.  I'm interested in your thoughts on it, either here or iTunes.

Thanks for listening!

--------------
[A]t some point it always occurs to [artists]... that they can do this one thing for the rest of their lives, they can be successful to the outside world but not... to themselves.  That's the moment an artist decides who he or she is. If they keep on risking failure, they're still artists. ~ S.Jobs
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 15:17

Quote (Fred @ April 14 2008, 12:14)
I have to say, being a 30-year MO fan in the U.S. hasn't been easy.

Well, a challenge can be good, right? It's supposed to build character and all. Think of the bright side:

a) the joy of having an obscure interest - being surrounded by people who think the only thing MO's done is "the Exorcist tune" means that you are The Bringer of Enlightenment. And...

b) the thrill of the hunt - take Aussie feverpitch96's case, "It is a sad indictment of the (lack of) coverage most of Mike's career has gotten in this part of the world that it took me another TWELVE YEARS to track down the tune in question!"

It's great to see a thoughtful and informative review for MOTS on iTunes, Fred, and you made me look up "sui generis". Well done.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Fred Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 23:36

It's great to see a thoughtful and informative review for MOTS on iTunes

Thanks for the kind words.  The idea is for the review to get enough positive votes that it is placed at the top of all MOTS reviews.  I'd like for curious-but-clueless classical music listeners ("Mike who?")  to see a positive review of MOTS when they click through.

I'd encourage everyone who's fond of MOTS to write their own review for iTunes or Amazon, or to vote for an existing positive review.  This helps keep MOTS – and MO – in the eye of the music buying public.  My megalomaniacal end-game is to make MOTS successful enough to prevent MO from retiring.  :-) Will you join me as co-conspirators?

you made me look up "sui generis"

Heh. Sorry 'bout that.  Mark Twain: "the difference between the right word and the almost-right word is the difference between the lightning and the lightning-bug."
Profile PM 
84 replies since Mar. 12 2008, 07:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net