Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: It's Not Really That Good..., I don't listen to it much< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 12 2010, 06:37

Quote (Incantations @ Sep. 12 2010, 04:55)

Agree to Disagree?

About what, Incantations?

Actually, your name reminded me of a joke I saw somewhere... an album of Mike's called Anorak. But I can't remember where I saw it!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2010, 14:08

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 12 2010, 06:54)
It's secondhand Prokofiev/Sibelius on downers.

Ha-ha-ha-ha... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:... that is simultaneously the best and the worst definition of MotS I've heard lately. I'd rather say hyper-formalized and hyper-regimented John Williams or Hans Zimmer. And, because of Jenkins, there's also a strong smell of Adiemus in it. I've often said in this board that MotS sounds to me like an exercise in how to do an excellent Hollywood soundtrack without actually doing a Hollywood sountrack. :D

P.S. I guess that Incantations actually likes MotS? ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2010, 21:02

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 12 2010, 14:08)
MotS sounds to me like an exercise in how to do an excellent Hollywood soundtrack without actually doing a Hollywood sountrack. :D

Yes, it does, doesn't it... You've just put me off it even more!

Oddly, I don't much like the similarly-themed classical suite, Holst's The Planets either - with the exception of the famous and magnificent Jupiter piece.
Profile PM 
wendybunny Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2010, 21:17

I've never heard Spheres before.

I can't help thinking it sounds a little too disjointed, specially towards the start. He pulls it together later on, but the start really does feel a little bit too all over the place. Maybe it's just me.
Profile PM WEB 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2010, 06:12

I still find it sounds like a bunch of film soundtracks glued together.

But when I am in the mood - it hits the spot.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2010, 07:11

Quote (trcanberra @ Sep. 13 2010, 06:12)
I still find it sounds like a bunch of film soundtracks glued together.

But when I am in the mood - it hits the spot.

For me it's The Lake District Soundtrack.

Each track sets the mood and atmospere around a lake, fell and dale.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2010, 16:26

I'm very much in the "don't get it" camp. I can never remember any of the melodies and I have no urge to play it.

However, I don't mind it when its on - I actually love classical music and lots of crossover stuff including some of Karl Jenkins other works but to me this feels like classical music by numbers.

It reminds me of tv/ film library music - the stuff producers use when they can't actually afford to hire a composer to write specific music for their film.

It's not offensive by any means but neither does it excite or create any passion within me.

I'm amazed tho by all the glowing reviews it gets on Amazon!

Would it have been any better if Mike had recorded it conventionally using guitars and synths?

maybe - there is probably a demo of it somewhere I am guessing which may have given us an inkling - unless its all soft orchestral synths - urgh!
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 13 2010, 17:49

Quote (Cudsie @ Sep. 13 2010, 21:26)
I'm very much in the "don't get it" camp. I can never remember any of the melodies and I have no urge to play it.

One of the youtube videos I've seen for MOTS is Harmonia Mundi with a walk through woodlands. I was going on a walk with the family at the weekend through some woods and was mentally listening to Harmonia Mundi at times. Fits really well for me. That one has *really* stuck in my head as one I can remember!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 13 2010, 18:10

Quote (Matt @ Sep. 13 2010, 17:49)
Quote (Cudsie @ Sep. 13 2010, 21:26)

One of the youtube videos I've seen for MOTS is Harmonia Mundi with a walk through woodlands. I was going on a walk with the family at the weekend through some woods and was mentally listening to Harmonia Mundi at times. Fits really well for me. That one has *really* stuck in my head as one I can remember!

I'm part of the club of those who don't like MOTS, but, yes, I always found it to be a "woody album" if this makes any sense. Feeling more in a small old dark library with books in Latin than a forest actually. Adiemus albums, if I remember well, are sunnier, lighter.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2010, 19:53

Quote (milamber @ Sep. 11 2010, 00:24)
Just for you Drealm :D
A Newer Begining
Enjoy.

It was actually funny and it fits well, good job!. But I would never replace A New Beginning, because I like it!
Profile PM 
BubbaMc Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2010, 11:10

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 12 2010, 04:10)
Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 11 2010, 07:41)
I haven't heard "Spheres", though - I assumed it was just one of those endless and tiresome remixes. Describe it please. I also love "Song for Survival".

No, it's not a remix. It's a primitive version of a couple of themes from MotS, done by Mike on his own (using sampled orchestral sounds and sampled choral vocals) before Karl Jenkins got involved. You can listen to it here. It sounds very like Tr3s Lunas, at least to me. :)

Thanks for the track.

Do you have a WAV version by any chance? Or know where I could purchase it?

Cheers.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2010, 21:03

There's a free program called "Super" available from eRight software. With it you'll be able to change to wav yourself. The program also allows you to change video files.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2010, 17:17

@ BubbaMc: the song just doesn't exist in WAV format, as it was a digital-only, mp3-only release. It's available on iTunes, 7digital, Amazon and all other online shops selling digital downloads.

@ Nightspore: there are lots of simple software applets to convert mp3s into WAVs, but the results don't change from a qualitative point of view. An mp3 converted into a WAV always sounds like an mp3, it's just bigger. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2010, 21:04

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 29 2010, 17:17)
@ Nightspore: there are lots of simple software applets to convert mp3s into WAVs, but the results don't change from a qualitative point of view. An mp3 converted into a WAV always sounds like an mp3, it's just bigger. :D

True, Ugo, but I find Super a very useful program as many of my media players won't play a lot of the newer style files (such as the "lossless" ones - which is actually impossible, according to physics). It's just a matter of dropping the unplayable files into Super and a playable mp3 or whatever is spat out.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 30 2010, 09:04

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 29 2010, 21:04)
True, Ugo, but I find Super a very useful program as many of my media players won't play a lot of the newer style files (such as the "lossless" ones - which is actually impossible, according to physics). It's just a matter of dropping the unplayable files into Super and a playable mp3 or whatever is spat out.

What media players do you use? I have Winamp and it plays MP3, Ogg, FLAC and whatever else without trouble. I think he only trouble I have is FLV files, which I play with a different software (VLC player or something, which I also use for MKV's).

Also, did I misunderstand you, or you said that lossless compression is impossible, according to physics? Well, I may be a bit inaccurate, but computer science takes a slight prevalence over physics when it comes to computers, you know. :) Lossless compression is absolutely possible and necessary -- everytime you use Zip to squish a 700Mb CD image into a 200+Mb file, that's lossless compression in action, and I don't see why physics would forbid that from happening to audio files.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2010, 10:42

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 30 2010, 09:04)
What media players do you use? I have Winamp and it plays MP3, Ogg, FLAC and whatever else without trouble. I think he only trouble I have is FLV files, which I play with a different software (VLC player or something, which I also use for MKV's).

Also, did I misunderstand you, or you said that lossless compression is impossible, according to physics? Well, I may be a bit inaccurate, but computer science takes a slight prevalence over physics when it comes to computers, you know. :) Lossless compression is absolutely possible and necessary -- everytime you use Zip to squish a 700Mb CD image into a 200+Mb file, that's lossless compression in action, and I don't see why physics would forbid that from happening to audio files.

Yes, I've used Super to change FLV files into Winamp-playable ones. Of course, it all depends on the versions of these programs that one uses, but I become tired of constant "updates" (Firefox developers, if you're reading this, take note!;).

In a computer science sense, where a media file can be considered as one long number, then, yes, it does make sense to use the word "lossless". We're simply talking about two digital registers, and a number can be moved from one to the other. But of course there's the implicit sense of the word, which marketers of course play on, that gives the impression that there's no loss with regard to the original analogue music. That is far more problematic. To discuss it properly it would be necessary to talk about the physical status of the continuous, which would also be to talk about the physical status of the infinite, which many (including myself) have devoted entire doctoral dissertations to.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2010, 13:15

Kinda bored with MOTS myself......sorry to say. Yessir. Gimme Some Lovin'.......there was a tune.......Squeeze My Lemon, even better. Just my 2 pesos worth.....
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2010, 12:34

Put MotS on tonight and I just found that....it's not really that good! Funny how perception change over time.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2010, 20:10

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 08 2010, 12:34)
Put MotS on tonight and I just found that....it's not really that good! Funny how perception change over time.

It's usually the other way with Mr O's work: for example, I didn't like "Music from the Balcony" when I first heard it.
Profile PM 
DelfĂ­n Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2010, 20:29

Yeah, that happens to me; a list of albums I didn't specially like when I heard them 1st time:

-QE2, Hergest Ridge, Crises, Ommadawn, Incantations, Tubular Bells.

List of albums I didn't like AT ALL at first listen:

-Earth Moving, Heaven's Open, The Killing Fields, Voyager, Millennium Bell.

List of albums that seriously SHOCKED me and made me decide not to listen to them anymore:

-Amarok

(that only lasted a day :) ).

I think that really tells something about failure at first listen!!!

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
48 replies since July 26 2010, 05:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net