Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: It's Not Really That Good..., I don't listen to it much< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 09 2010, 08:43

Hergest Ridge and Incantations were albums that grew in me with time; the former was way too pastoral for what I expected from Mike, and the latter was too big and dense. On the other hand, The Sounds of Distant Earth and Tubular Bells II took a nosedive.

Music of the Spheres, though, is still ok in my book. I never held it as a masterpiece, though it was a positive surprise. I like it.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 09 2010, 11:28

To me MotS sounds like a half TB half HR, only very conventionally executed.

The HR remix gave me the opportunity to listen to HR again with fresh ears and I what struck me is how harmonically "straight" HR is. It's the rough edges and interesting instrumentation/production that makes it really good. Karl Jenkins could propably turn it into an OK Adiemus album if you give him free hands (but please don't! haha...). And it would propably sound a lot like MotS.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2010, 19:56

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 09 2010, 17:28)
Karl Jenkins could propably turn it into an OK Adiemus album

Well, not really. I don't think HR (especially its second part) would sound good with pseudo-African vocals. Its vocals are more like pseudo-Sanskrit. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2010, 21:08

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 09 2010, 19:56)
Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 09 2010, 17:28)
Karl Jenkins could propably turn it into an OK Adiemus album

Well, not really. I don't think HR (especially its second part) would sound good with pseudo-African vocals. Its vocals are more like pseudo-Sanskrit. :D

The striking thing about HR - and this emerges most clearly when you listen to the orchestral version - is how much it sounds like something that could have been written by early twentieth century English composers, like Elgar and Vaughan Williams. (I'm not qualified to comment as to whether the piece comes up to their standards, of course). Unfortunately, with a few exceptions I'm not fond of Elgar or Vaughan Williams, which is probably why I'm not overly fond of HR either (although I prefer it to Ommadawn).
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2010, 03:05

I suppose I didn't really make myself clear...

I love MOTS, and thus I nearly polorize Nightspore in every way.

(But I do like MFTB)

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2010, 03:28

Quote (Incantations @ Oct. 10 2010, 03:05)
I suppose I didn't really make myself clear...

I love MOTS, and thus I nearly polorize Nightspore in every way.

(But I do like MFTB)

Ooh, I've never been polorized before, sounds fun - must be a trick you picked up at your Brighton hotel!  :D
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2010, 03:43

I had to look up on wikipedia to actually figure out what Brighton was, and apparently it is a renowned gay-friendly city that has a blooming pop music scene.

http://www.holdfast.sa.gov.au/webdata....tty.jpg

Doesn't seem so bad though. Some nice water they have, me wonders how the fishin is.

You could say I've been chillin' there for a while :cool:

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
jacen Offline

Posted: May 13 2011, 10:57

I'm ashamed to say I often find myself skipping almost all of side 2 of MOTS. Yes yes, I know, there isn't a side 2... you know I mean from Aurora Borealis onwards...

Musica Universalis is a tremendous track to me. I love particularly how Mike chose not to use a dastardly over-complicated composition to transcribe the feeling here, but instead keep the tone conveyed by the rest of the album.

A friend of mine once described MOTS after the first listen as "the 21st Centurie's The Planets." It took him a few listens but I managed to convince him that he'd entirely missed the point, IMHO.

That feeling that Holst doesn't display is one of grandiose scale, the clockwork of the heavens all happening, and the serenity of its reliability. I like MOTS for its ability to communicate that to me.
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2011, 14:05

Funny..I find mots equal to ommadawn. Ommadawn part 1 is superior but ommadawn part 2 is inferior...mots is probably essentially what I like about mike's later career.

Mots, tb2, tsode, tb3, voyager..maybe they are alike?
Profile PM 
48 replies since July 26 2010, 05:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net