Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: It's Not Really That Good..., I don't listen to it much< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
InsideOfYou Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 26 2010, 05:08

I'm sorry to rock the boat here but I don't listen to this album very often, it doesn't do much for me.
It just strikes me as rather flat and boring :zzz: , lacking the 'voltage' 'eccentricities', 'madness', whatever you want to call it, that is Mike's signature.
I can barely remeber it after I've heard it, and if this was the first Mike Oldfield recording I'd experienced, I'd not have gone any further  :O  

IOY
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 26 2010, 20:57

I would love to make some contradicting fact about MOTS, but *sigh*, we all have opinions.

I would just say, if you really WANT to like it, give it another listen, without a cynical perspective.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: July 26 2010, 21:04

Quote (InsideOfYou @ July 26 2010, 05:08)
I'm sorry to rock the boat

IOY

That's QE2
IOYou-1

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 26 2010, 21:04

The thing that annoys me a bit about MotS is the idea that if you have an orchestra it's suddenly a "classical" album. And I don't think Mr O is at his best when he's writing for masses of instruments all playing at once. His is a more personal, chamber-music-ish touch.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 27 2010, 07:16

It just strikes me as rather flat and boring :zzz: , lacking the 'voltage' 'eccentricities', 'madness', whatever you want to call it, that is Mike's signature.

Hello InsideOfYou.

I felt a similar way when I first heard it two years ago, and I said so on the board. But I must admit since playing it again this spring I've grown into it. It's like I'm finally listening to what Mike is saying and easing off on my expectations of what I want to hear. The way I see it, Mike's lifetime experiences and maturity are reflected in this piece of work more so than this youthful spontaneity. It's weighted more in that area, as I suppose you might expect from a man his age.

Someone once said on here that the Master waits and will come to you when you're ready.  :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 27 2010, 18:57

Its not necessarily true (to me that is) that once music is orchestral, it is classical. Like I create free-form piano improvisations and call it Oldfield Prog as it relates to the way Mike's compositions are formed.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 27 2010, 22:47

Quote (wiga @ July 27 2010, 07:16)
Someone once said on here that the Master waits and will come to you when you're ready.  :)

And then you are master of your own domain, as Seinfeld might say!  :D
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 28 2010, 02:19

I'm sorry to rock the boat here but I don't listen to this album very often, it doesn't do much for me.
I can barely remeber it after I've heard it, and if this was the first Mike Oldfield recording I'd experienced, I'd not have gone any further  :O  

IOY

There's nothing eccentric or "mad" about any of the albums after TBII. So I don't think Music of the Spheres stand out.
Incantations has a similar "serious" approach, and I love that album. So I think Mike has managed greatness without showing his humorous side, and I think the melodies and arrangements on MotS are pretty neat! Not his best in any way, but very good.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 21:27

Quote (InsideOfYou @ July 26 2010, 19:08)
It doesn't do much for me.
I can barely remeber it after I've heard it.

IOY

I totally agree ,I just can't get into it and God knows I've tried.
Its always leaves me with the feeling it's missing something.

On the other hand I really love the single Spheres.
And on just recently listening to the Song for Survival its back to form for mike .
This is much better than A New Beginning IMO and would suit the end of TSODE better.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2010, 07:58

Quote (larstangmark @ July 28 2010, 02:19)
IOY[/quote]
There's nothing eccentric or "mad" about any of the albums after TBII.

What about the Millenium Bell?
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2010, 08:00

Quote (milamber @ Sep. 09 2010, 21:27)
IOY[/quote]
This is much better than A New Beginning IMO and would suit the end of TSODE better.

I'm happy you have no power to do that.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2010, 08:57

Quote (Drealm @ Sep. 10 2010, 22:00)

iTunes & a blank CD-R.
I got the power :laugh:
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2010, 16:47

Quote (milamber @ Sep. 10 2010, 08:57)
Quote (Drealm @ Sep. 10 2010, 22:00)

iTunes & a blank CD-R.
I got the power :laugh:

Did you do it? Could you really remove A New Beginning forever and replace it without ever listening to it again?
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2010, 00:24

Just for you Drealm :D
A Newer Begining
Enjoy.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2010, 01:41

Quote (milamber @ Sep. 09 2010, 21:27)
Quote (InsideOfYou @ July 26 2010, 19:08)
It doesn't do much for me.
I can barely remeber it after I've heard it.

IOY

I totally agree ,I just can't get into it and God knows I've tried.
Its always leaves me with the feeling it's missing something.

On the other hand I really love the single Spheres.
And on just recently listening to the Song for Survival its back to form for mike .

I agree - it sounds constrained. I haven't heard "Spheres", though - I assumed it was just one of those endless and tiresome remixes. Describe it please. I also love "Song for Survival".
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2010, 03:04

Quote (Drealm @ Sep. 10 2010, 07:58)
Quote (larstangmark @ July 28 2010, 02:19)
IOY

There's nothing eccentric or "mad" about any of the albums after TBII.[/quote]
What about the Millenium Bell?

Yes, pretty eccentic and mad I would say  - 'you are a sexy woman', hymns, choirs, Anne Frank, Mastermind, Ibiza ....     :cool:

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2010, 16:10

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 11 2010, 07:41)
I haven't heard "Spheres", though - I assumed it was just one of those endless and tiresome remixes. Describe it please. I also love "Song for Survival".

No, it's not a remix. It's a primitive version of a couple of themes from MotS, done by Mike on his own (using sampled orchestral sounds and sampled choral vocals) before Karl Jenkins got involved. You can listen to it here. It sounds very like Tr3s Lunas, at least to me. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2010, 21:13

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 11 2010, 16:10)
Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 11 2010, 07:41)
I haven't heard "Spheres", though - I assumed it was just one of those endless and tiresome remixes. Describe it please. I also love "Song for Survival".

No, it's not a remix. It's a primitive version of a couple of themes from MotS, done by Mike on his own (using sampled orchestral sounds and sampled choral vocals) before Karl Jenkins got involved. You can listen to it here. It sounds very like Tr3s Lunas, at least to me. :)

Thanks, Ugo. I'll play this as soon as I get my normal iternet connection back. (I'm using a laptop while my phone is switched to naked DSL - free phone calls throughout Australia!;)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2010, 00:54

I've managed to listen to it, after much swapping of USB drives. I agree, Ugo - the middle section is reminiscent of TL - "Daydream", in my opinion. But I don't like the piece. It has the same descending melody I was complaining about on the Ommadawn thread. In fact, I actually find it (and MotS in general) rather annoying - something that no other MO album even Incantations, is.  It's secondhand Prokofiev/Sibelius on downers.
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2010, 04:55

Agree to Disagree?

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
48 replies since July 26 2010, 05:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net