Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: It's a shame..., that it isn't promoted properly< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 18 2003, 10:09

I'm listening to Voyager right now, for the very first time since a half year or so. I personally think this album sounds great (not his best, but really good compared to TMB).

I just think it's a shame this album wasn't promoted properly. I mean, I don't know anything about Mike's intentions and ideas about the tracks (apart from a handful of little articles in the article section). I have some promotional videos of Mike where he walks around with his guitar. I know this is somewhere in Ibiza but they never made a good videoclip of the material.

And what about the musicians? I can't even see who plays the bagpipe. All strangers to me.

I think the background information is blurry for me.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: May 18 2003, 12:46

In the UK it was promoted very well. Peaked at number 12 in the album chart, which is the last time a non-Tubular Bells album reached the top 30 here.

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 18 2003, 14:46

Ah great! Although I have to say I've actually heard songs of Mike on the Dutch TV (which is very rare nowadays)!

They played them on a commercial for the promotion of a collection of Celtic cd's (called Celtic Myst) where the songs are included. I thought I heard Women of Ireland and I even heard Sentinel.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 19 2003, 16:28

Voyager was actualy the last time I can remember there being a big promo push by WEA for a Mike album. Even TB3 as far as I could see didn't get the same amount of big shop front displays in the likes of Virgin and HMV as Voyager got. I think the story with Voyager is quite likely to be along the lines of WEA suggesting to Mike to cash in the then in vogue celtic music craze sweeping the world, remember River Dance was everwhere and Enya was number one in just about every single country in the world.

All the musicians on Voyager are well known in the UK and Ireland indeed a few of them played on the River Dance album but you're right Blue Dolphin it's not at all clear who does what.

I'd love to know what went through Mike's head when he came up with some of those arrangements on Voyager, in particular I'd love to know what went through his head (if anything) when he did Dark Island. How did it all go so pear shaped? For me this album represents pretty much the start of the road we're on today with Mike. (although I am tempted to say TB2) There's some nice tunes but there's a lot of immediately forgettable mediocrity.
Profile PM 
3 replies since May 18 2003, 10:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net