Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: It was a dumbass decision to release this on the net!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bennyboy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 15 2001, 15:04

With all due respect to the problems in Mikey's personal life......

I don't have high hopes for "Music VR". I think it will probably end up like "Myst". An abstract pain in the ass to play. Very pretty looking and pretty sounding, but lacking that certain oomph. Like "Myst" it will soon appear a dated and self-concious effort to do something different.

But it won't achieve the phenomenal best-selling status of "Myst" simply because of the way it's released.

IMHO it was a dumbass decision to release this on the net. The way I would have done it was to release it on PC (both Apple and PCs) CD-ROM and hype it up on account of it being a Mike Oldfield product. Then, if it achieved "Myst" proportion sale figures it could be converted to console format later, with Playstation and N64 versions out there.

But I get the feeling that this isn't being made for commercial acceptance, it's just Mikey Boy's own little pet project. Fair enough too, and considering all the personal problems Mike has revealed lately I can understand the delay. But I thought this project had great potential and someday I would like to see it realised.

But, honestly: does anyone else think this could have been better as a non-net-based project?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 15 2001, 19:21

There is still talk of CDs as well...Music VR maybe will or maybe won't be released on a CD ROM to somehow accompany the music CD.

The idea of releasing on the net is to push things forward, be part of a revolution and all the rest of it...
Apple, for example, released its iMac a few years ago with only USB and Ethernet for connectivity. The computer's popularity saw a wave of USB devices coming onto the market (and all in iMac colours). Although the decision seemed a bit extreme at first (as there USB wasn't hugely popular at the time of release), it ended up pushing the market forward...
People with projects like Mike's are probably hoping to do the same - to be at the cutting edge. Unfortunately, due partly to the state of the telecommunications industry in some countries, even the big players going over to net-only releases may not actually bring forward improvements in the internet (i.e. faster and cheaper broadband lines, etc).
Mike isn't a big player either...rather than pushing everything forward, by forcing people to use the internet to obtain his product, he's more likely just to sell less copies, as people won't have the necessary connections to download it.
That said, at least amongst his fans online, there seem to be huge numbers of people who are quite prepared to download mnumerous megabytes to get a bootleg concert recording, album or video, so perhaps those people will be prepared to download Music VR as well...There will be some people online who won't be prepared to (or won't be able to at all for various reasons), and some people who are't online who won't be able to. Those people will either miss out, or just get a bootleg copy on CDR from someone else (sad but true).
Whether, if released on CD ROM and with the same kind of push given to other top games, it would become a big seller is maybe another matter...I suppose we'll have to wait and see what the final version is like before we can pass judgement on that.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 03 2002, 01:55

How exactly will this be released? I read somewhere that it will be on the Tr3s Lunas CD, and you will need to pay for an access key to unlock the rest of it. This sounds alright to me.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
2 replies since Oct. 15 2001, 15:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net