Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Isn't Mike Oldfield the God of Music?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 08:48

Master is much more perfect than the idea of god in christianism - He does not have any connection to down-to-earth life, nothing to do with flesh,blood and death of the matter...

Actually he sent his Son to come down as a man and live 33 years and be marred more than any man ever. He knows more about pain and death then any of us will ever know. (God is also the Son at the same time)
We do not know death, for the Perfect Sound forever fills the Cosmic Space... Universe as the whole is our home (Sagan's Cosmos), we can not be limited to the earth only (not physically, of course...)... And is there any way that the bible lets us know about our right to feel the infinity of the Universe?

On the contrary, the Bible is the inspired word from God himself. What are you going by? Just a bunch of man made philosophies which God looks at as foolishness. As far as knowledge and understanding goes, we all might as well be just dumb rotting animal corpses (even less) because that's basically what we are anyway compared to Him. His knowledge far surpasses our comprehension, because he created knowledge.

It's impossible to say someone's 'over' God because God said there is none beside Him. He didn't even bother to say if there was anyone over Him because that's impossible. God is over anything we know. Any idea we ever come up with. Any possible thought we can comprehend and not comprehend. He is absolutley over everything. He created the very laws of physics and logic that you are using to prove me wrong with. He's over them as well. And there's no way we can comprehend it.

He's God. 'Nuff said.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 09:55

Quote (TimHighfield @ Feb. 11 2003, 05:53)
My goodness! Archangel Foster! Long time no see - how've you been? Nice to see you back  :)

Well, thanks Tim! Nice to see you, too! I've been quite fine, the thing is that when I moved and set up my computer in the new flat, the modem didn't work anymore and I never bothered to buy a new one  :p  But now I've had father's old modem for a while.
Mmmh, haven't been listening to an awful lot of Mike lately - not at all, to be precise. Which, as I stated, doesn't mean I don't like his stuff anymore, I just feel I've had so much of it that I don't actually need to listen to it anymore, that I have it 'inside me' so to speak. I mean I know Ommadawn by heart, I can run the whole thing in my head. So what does that tell us?  :p
I also think I'm kinda tired of that nick I've used. So if I'm going to post again I'll probably re-register under my real name (Holger).
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 10:41

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough with my hint. I feel that if some people here aren't becoming offended already, they soon will be, so if everyone can bear that in mind...

Like I said before, if you ask Mike Oldfield if he's god, he'll tell you he isn't...I find the idea of someone being god without knowing it quite amusing actually  :cool:

This all comes down to the age old debate of religions - one religion says it has a god (or gods...) and that its teachings have come from god, another one says the same thing about its own and also adds that the other one is wrong. Which one is right? I'd say that all you can do is go with what feels right, and some day you'll find out whether you took the right path or not...
I think we have to be careful to remain aware of other people's viewpoints here.

It would be unfortunate if people here ended up making rifts between each other because of religious beliefs, on a board that's really here to bring people together.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 12:32

Quote (Archangel Foster @ Feb. 11 2003, 05:34)
Interesting, timshen, I also stopped idolizing Mike a while ago, which is why I wasn't around here much lately. Though I still think he is a remarkably talented musician.

Welcome back Archangel Foster (or who ever you'll become)!!!
I wonder how many more people have idolized Mike and his music? I'm glad now that I just like his music as that from a great talent. It's very releasing. :cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 11 2003, 17:56

I'm not sorry for everything I've said, but I'll stop arguing.

And I'll leave it at that because I could start going on again. I know without a doubt I'm in truth. Because "you will know the truth and the truth will set you free." I'm set free. No other 'truth' does that.

Anyways, here I go again so I'm gonna stop and push "Add Reply," now.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2003, 05:14

Funnily enough, if this was another, non MO forum, this could become a really interesting debate about religion, philosophy etc. Mike is just a great musician: if you practice hard enough, you just might become as skilled a guitarist as him, and there are many others that write music that is just as good as his. He writes good music and bad music, just as everyone else does.

Let's not turn this into a religious debate: alex started this topic as a joke, and that is all it should be. I just looked in the spirituality forums in mikeoldfield.com, so any religious discussion should probably be made there.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
alex Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2003, 08:53

It has NEVER been a joke... In 2000 I was simply too shy to start it in any other section...
I believe it as much as I believed it then...
I promise - I am the one to commit suicide if...

However i do not want to offend anyone...
I am not going to make all of You hate me...

Mike is so Perfect...
He is the Idea of Absolute Perfection anticipated by all great and sublime thinkers... Nietzsche,Plato,Descartes...
Each of Them gave Him another name,however it was the One Idea...
If you only were willing to forget of yourselves and turn to the Immaterial, Beautiful, Impressing World of Music, Night, Moon and Shadows... we could be able to turn the world around us into the most wonderful place...

Listen to Nothing But and open your eyes... (consider the whole lyric,not particular verses...)

Let There Be Light....

Alex

P.S.MusicallyInspired, thank You for participating...
I hope you come back soon ( in a few years perhaps... ;)  )
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2003, 09:24

every musician is "a god" cause u can (if u like the stuff this musician does) insult all the goodies u passed to M.O. to every musician.
so - now we have millions of "gods" and Mike is nothin' special anymore........
;)

later,

dkay

There's a fire between us
So where is your god?
There's a fire between us
I can't get off the carousel........

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
alex Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 07:14

No improvisation now...
If any of you was hoping that I'll never write anything again because I'm just a narrow minded, foolish fanatic who is not worth being at this forum, I promise; he was terribly wrong!  :p
Sure, I am narrow minded to some extent, but any of us is narrow minded considering that there exists Absolute Perfection ( yes, I mean exactly that what you expect!  ;)   ).
And I am also not worth being here, of course, however...if you have enough of me, you'll simply send a request of expelling me from here to the one responsible...

Now; the proof that they are not believers, who created God...
(You can disagree with me, but to disagree with Descartes will be a bit more difficult...  :p  )

Assumption: Believers do not create God.
Proof:
a) Self, for being imperfect, does not exist by itself, but must have the primary cause.
Moreover, the Primary Cause must be Perfect, thus it is God.
b)The existance of God implies from the Idea that we have of Him.
It is a perfect Idea and since the result can not be more perfect than the cause, thus human self can not be the cause of the Idea.
It is not a human, who created the Idea of God, but It was created in his mind by the Perfect Being - by God Himself.
 So, if we have the Idea of God thus there exists God Who created it in us.

However the Being does not have to be called God...
It may be Ubermensch, Perfection simply or Music, Sound, Mike...

Forever Let It Be!

alex
Profile PM 
alex Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 12:01

Music, Master, Mike...
The only Perfect words in this world...

Let There Be Light!

alex
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 13:21

Just one thought, Alex: Do you think Mike is perfect in everything he does, or just in making music? I mean, is he perfect in brushing his teeth, bringing the garbage downstairs, flying helicopters, playing cricket, repairing watches, nursing babies, constructing missiles etc. etc? If not, then he can't be god, because god would have to be perfect in everything. Couldn't it be that it's just like his music is a divine creation, and Mike is the medium through which it is manifested?
Like I said, just a thought.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 13:43

For what it's worth I think this particular topic contains some of the most deeply disturbing crap I've ever read here. Can't someone delete all this? It's just embarassing. Mike Oldfield is not God. If you believe in a god then thats cool, I don't believe in a god but thats also cool, and don't tell me otherwise :cool:
Profile PM 
alex Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2003, 10:55

Holger, I suggest that we should consider only the questions that we are able to answer...

TOBY,the first rule in discussion is to give reasonable arguments to doubt a theory, not to humiliate your opponent...

alex
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2003, 15:15

If the subject here is about Mike Oldfield being some sort of living musical god then I think thats a rediculous enough a notion to warrant some sort of humiliation, and whats more I'm 100% certain he would agree. I don't mean any personal offence to you or anybody else but it is a very, very silly and troubling idea to deify Mike or any person like that. He's a very talanted man but there are lots of talanted people out there, I'm sure you're talanted at something, would you like it if someone deified you? It's a dangerous place to go.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2003, 07:30

I have to agree with Toby here, in that I don't think that Mike wants to be made a god, or idolised in any way.

I could pick out flaws in lots of things he's done, musically and otherwise; that rather rules out him being the embodiment of absolute perfection in my book.
Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 17 2003, 08:17

Alex, you sound like you did a lot of research but the outcome you chose is just rediculous especially with all the evidence against it being mentioned. And whenever someone comes out and says something that blows your theory away, you simply go on and ignore it and quote Socrates again or something to prove your right. You're not doing a good job in pursuading anyone. :)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
alex Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2003, 17:19

I am lost in all the theories and doctrines and proofs..
I suggest that there is no proof. Music, Master, Mike - the only Perfect terms that can not be defined in any other way.
Am I giving up? No... I still believe... But now I know that I can not express my beliefs in words... Words are imperfect - how can they express Absolute Perfection? You can think You won the battle, I know that Perfection won the war...
You are all the greatest ones to discuss with, but I am sorry, I know nothing about technical side of Music, nothing about the things that You can accept, so it will be difficult to meet at another forum...

Thank You...
But I'll try to come back - perhaps Nietzsche will help me (Nietzsche was so impressed with Wagner's music, he would be much more impressed with Mike's...)
So - I won't bother You in nearest future - my extended essay is still to be written, time to begin!

Many thanks to all Brothers in Arms!
alex
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2003, 18:48

Mike Oldfield. You have your first disciple. Amen.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2003, 06:00

I can't see how technical knowledge of music would help really. Even if you could prove that Mike's music was technically perfect, that wouldn't be proving that Mike himself is perfect...

Brothers in Arms? That was Dire Straits... ;)
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2003, 08:55

reading again all the conversation here and on the spirituality forum, i’ve thought that the ‘mistake’ (if u let me call it this way) could be that u have mixed different languages, philosophical and poetical, it seems to me that there wouldn’t have been so many ‘hard reactions’ if u accepted that what u FEEL can’t be transcripted in a philosophical theory, more if quoting your own words ‘u are lost in all the theories, doctrines and proofs’. u may know that philosophical language is restrictive in the sense that if u want to formulate a philosophical theory  u must not only feel (which is important to some extent) but to have the enough knowledge to compare different thoughts and ideas along history…u may also know that one of reasons for what nietzsche can be considered a genius is that he dominate the different philosophical concepts and moreover he was a philologer, so he also dominate different languages and moreover he had the passion of a poet… and he was able to melt this in his work…

imho everything would be different if u admitted u are speaking mostly from passion, and that it’s your PERSONAL point of view, the problem appears when u pretend to have the ONLY TRUTH… then u are aggressive with the thoughts and feelings of others… more regarding that u speak about religion and philosophy…that’s why i think the best language for that is poetry (if u need to use words) there u have the licence to express what u feel through poetical resorts…

and for what u said about your technical knowledge and to take part in the other forums here i would give u a hint… u are not the only one who doesn’t know much about musical technique, i know that there are some conversations in which i can’t speak, but this is not something to run away from here,  if one really loves music it’s very pleasant to read and learn from the others and complete in this way the own knowledge… personally, this is one of the things that have made me stay here…

mate, try to open your mind and enjoy music without the obsession of looking for a master or perfection or a theory about that…
i wish u find your path…

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
70 replies since July 21 2000, 08:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net