Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is this worth getting?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Rod Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 28 2000, 20:53

Is it? I've been thinking about it for a while. Thanx.
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: June 29 2000, 04:10

Hi Rod !

wink Hey, are you trying to beat the World Record of Post in a Day ??? I only read Rod's Post today ! wink

What do you mean 'Is this worth getting' ?
Of course it is (IMO):

1) First, there's some 'rare' or very good live tracks - like Platinum - But, as you seem to have a particular interrest in MP3 and home-made-cover (seeing SR Project...), you may already had download some of them...
2) Consider buying the LP : of course, the sound is not so good, but, in the French LP and I believe it's the same thing in English and Spanish, there a lot of Pictures and sleeve notes about each album.
3) This sleeve is great ! Great picture. I've put my LP under glass, in a frame, hanged on a wall ! But I also did it with Crises, FMO (that's why it's so long for me to scan the inner sleeve...)

All right, I must a little bit addicted...
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Rod Offline

Posted: June 29 2000, 04:37

Thanks for your feedback GMOVJ! smile

Yes my question was if it is worth getting it or if it's just another compilations of all the songs I already have on the regular albums. Your response answered my question though, thanks!

Oh and it's always nicer to own the original stuff not the mp3. I do have the mp3 for Platinum live but I'd rather have it on CD. About the SR project compilation it was just an idea since Mr. Oldfield doesn't seem to want to make his fans happy hehehe so it's an alternative. But I would always rather have the original stuff! I'd only encourage the recording of custom CD's and mp3's when we have no other choice as in ungettable rarities or in this case the SR thing which won't even run on Mac's and where a music CD will not be available.

Thanx again for your reply! 8)

Your (also addicted) friend,
-Rod

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 06-29-2000).]
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 12 2004, 05:51

This is my first post being a computer newbie..
But in reply to the Topic .
This double CD is deff worth the Cash..
1st of all its got a good few hard to get
tracks on the instrumental section..
and best of all its worth spending the Cash
to get the Live Section..
In my Opinion the Mount Teide  Live finale
is my Favourite M Oldfield Track of all Time !!
its just brilliant. well i like the original but this beats it hands down ,    hope u get and enjoy :)
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 04:53

It is also worth getting because the German version of "The Complete Mike Oldfield" also contains the very rare "Pictures In The Dark" single.  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 05:49

Yes,it is...A great compilation...I love the live part...

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2007, 13:34

Outside of The Killing Fields, I think I now have all of MO's studio albums. So I thought I was done until I read the notes for this compilation and saw there are about ten pieces I don't have, plus live material. I'm waiting for it to arrive within the week.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2007, 16:50

I'm happy to have this compilation. The highlight, for me, is the live "Platinum". On the studio album, I sometimes skip parts 1 and 3, but here it's all great. I thought Montreux's live version of "North Star" was stunning, but I find this one more thrilling in its roughness.

Other new favorites of mine are "Jungle Gardenia", "William Tell Overture", and "Blue Peter". *leaves "Jungle Gardenia" on 'repeat'*

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2008, 07:17

This was one of the first CDs I bought - picked it up soon after buying Discovery (which WAS the first CD I bought).

It has been a treasured part of my collection since then, from the awesome cover photo, through the tracks that were not available on other CDs at the time, to the live pieces (they were a challenge for me, but I like them the more I listen to them).
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 05 2008, 08:30

I recommend this one too. First MO album I bought was TB2 and bought this a couple of weeks later to see what the rest of this stuff was like. The only bad thing about it was that everything between Discovery/ TKF and TB2 came as a bit of a shock because I just didn't know about it (this was before I was on the Internet, so all I knew about was the stuff I saw in shops).

Plenty of stuff you might have heard before, but the rarities make it worthwhile. Consider that even if you have all the studio albums you probably won't have:
William Tell Overture, Cuckoo Song, Jungle Gardenia, Guilty, Blue Peter, Walberg (The Peak), the single version of Etude, Mistake, Crime of Passion, the 12" version of Shadow On The Wall and the fantastic live tracks.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2008, 11:36

And the LP version features Pictures in the Dark  :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2008, 06:55

Hi,in response to Tati,i got The Complete in 85 when it came out.My copy doesn't have Pictures In The Dark.Is this perculiar to English as i've not seen this track on any other copies i've seen.I bought PITD on single though.Cool song but Legends is great fun to play along to!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2011, 18:08

It would be nice to think that I have a distinctive and unique voice and presence here, but I have the award to prove otherwise and no one can take it away from me!  Believe it or not, today marks the first anniversary of my joining and first ever post here.  I've realised I've got this far without yet commenting on several albums and merely stating that Complete was my first purchase.  And it has always been worth it.

If I take anything from this section's questions and answers about the different pressings, it's that everyone must be desperate to learn what the South African cassette release was like.  Well, it's one that doesn't have In Dulci Jubilo/Portsmouth; the extra (and in tune) bells on TB,part one suggest the Boxed mix, as does HR; and the album guide is printed inside both inlay cards.  And if I didn't start properly buying Mike until 1992 it's in part due to how satisfied I was with this compilation.

The Instrumental Section was an always pleasant, often inspired easing-in.  To France was the honey that had drawn me in, but the Vocal Section provided evidence of a very diverse artist with Five Miles Out and Shadow on the Wall.  Oh, the power of the first two tracks on the Complex Section - the hiss that signals the start of the TB excerpt still marks my favourite of all versions.  And Platinum on the Live Section...  although I never figured out those drums until I saw the Montreux DVD.

Is it just a happy accident that all this makes for the best of the compilations?  Here's to them! :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2011, 03:30

I like this compilation a lot. I got i for christmas 1985 (I think). It had the "album guide" (didn't own all the albums yet), the live side and lots of non-album tracks.

My only complaint is the album cover, which I find unremarkable. Looks like a compilation of easy-listening music. Don't get me wrong, I love nature photography but if it's going to be used as record sleeves it has to have something extra.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2011, 13:06

This is the first Oldfield CD(s) I bought. It's a very good compilation to discover his work and some rarities. But now, this compilation is out-of-date. In fact, the tracks on it sound not very bright (it's like a blanket was placed over the speakers). The same tracks sounds better on newer releases like The Platinum Collection. So, "Is this worth getting?" : Yes, but only for the great tracks in the Live section, unavailable on any other releases.
Profile PM 
14 replies since June 28 2000, 20:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net