Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: is this the last bell?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
NorthStarOne Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 19 2002, 19:11

Am I right in saying that this latest version of TB will be released on Mikes 50th Birthday? and if this is the last version of TB will it be called Bell End? :D
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2002, 22:04

As far as I'm concerned he can call all of his next albums Tubular Bells 4, 5, .....as long as it contains new compositions.
And about makeovers, let's just hope that it will only be this once.

(The Aniversary Bell    :)  )

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2002, 08:17

Quote (NorthStarOne @ Dec. 19 2002, 19:11)
if this is the last version of TB will it be called Bell End? :D

end... i don't like very much this word... better a beginning... a fresh beginning hopefully
anyway... only time will tell
:)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
EquinoX Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2002, 12:26

'We all know that endings are just beginnings :)'
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2002, 21:49

This would be a very good time to give the Bells one final fabulous ring, and then leave them alone. Endings are just beginnings, so lets hope that as the Bells end, a new, awesome phase in Mike's music will begin.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 27 2002, 23:12

Bell End...heh, now that would be an interesting one (it would fit in with my suggestion of recording a sequel to Hergest Ridge named after that other famous hill in the vicinity, Lord Hereford's Knob) ;)

Whether Mike will leave Tubular Bells alone (or perhaps it would be more accurate to wonder whether Tubular Bells will leave Mike alone) remains to be seen...
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 18:04

before i tought it's great to have bell albums coming occasionally but...just few days ago i looked warner years records that were listed on mike's website...it just did not look very good, 50% of those (when TB2003 released) are something-bells. last 11 years maybe..just maybe too much bell related records or better said too much bell related record titles.

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: April 20 2003, 21:33

I'd be up for more bell albums. there's just something about them (besides the Bells as well) that makes them great. i've been a fan of all the TUbular Bells (from the original all the way to TB3) and i'm hoping this "new" Tubular Bells 2003 will be just as great.

if there aren't any more afterwards....that's fine i suppose. i'll be dissappointed, and quite honestly he'd have to make one hell of an album that would surpase TB3 (IMO), but if he's willing to make the music, i'm willing to listen.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Fingers Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 07:53

If TB2003 sells well, I reckon there'll be a TB2008... 2013..... etc etc... If MO can still play, why not rework the piece with whatever styles are in fashion at that point in time? It's artistically valid, and it makes money. Why not indeed.

Lets not forget that this is how MO makes his living. If someone will buy the product, I'm sure he'll keep on making it.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 12:32

Where, how and why is it artistically valid? Mike Oldfield makes his living as a professional artist not as a company director for Tubular Bells inc, though sometimes I do wonder.
Profile PM 
Fingers Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 18:43

Variations on a theme.... admitedly the norm is to work on another artists theme but... Lets face it, TB has almost become a brand and if you're reading this forum, chances are you'll buy whatever he releases regardless. Be honest.. if he released another reworking in 5 years time - would you take the stance and say "no more"?  I wouldn't. I'd want to hear it, and I'd want to own it.

MO won't regurgitate it - he hasn't yet - unless he can do something new and exciting with it. If he can, then why the hell not!
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 22 2003, 21:41

would you take the stance and say "no more"?  I wouldn't. I'd want to hear it, and I'd want to own it.

Same here. I'm just too hooked to Mike's music, I guess lol. Even if it sucks I still want to buy it. Then after I buy it I start liking it anyway....I bought Voyager without a hope (except for 'She Moves Through The Fair' I really liked that by Mike. And then I started liking 'Voyager' and 'Women of Ireland' and now I'm becoming increasingly interested in 'Mont St. Michel';) now I like and listen to it more.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 23 2003, 08:46

YES I would take a stance and say no more. I was fairly tempted to do so when TB3 came out, untill I heard some of it was passable, then I went out and bought it, It was certainaly the first Mike release in the last 15 years I haven't rushed out and bought on the day of it's release. I'll nodoubt buy this version but I'm not excited by it in the slightest now.

Mike won't regurgitate it??????????????????????????????????????????????? Whats your definition of artistic regurgitation? Mine is released next month under the title Tubular Bells 2003.
Profile PM 
Fingers Offline

Posted: April 23 2003, 09:57

Then don't buy it. Personally, I'm looking forward to it. I put money on the fact that it's not that similar to the original. I don't believe that the "sample2" mp3 is a dance remix, I think it's from the new recording. In which case, it's going to be VERY different.

I do understand your point though. For the first time in 10 years I've not bought the latest Jarre album. The last couple had disappointed me, and nothing about the last one excited me.

I'd rather hear something new - and something challenging. Tres Lunas was always going to be disappointing when the website said "...a style referred to as "chill out"...." Lets face it - it's pretty melodies over bog standard bass/rhythm/synth parts. Why play a sax sound on a guitar wen you can play it on a sax? etc etc.. Tres Lunas without MVR would have been an incredible disappointment.

With that in mind - TB2003 can only be a step upwards as far as I'm concerned! Do you think MO has another clever piece left in him, or is he done now?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 23 2003, 12:46

The point of all this however, is that it's not meant to be very different, its meant to be a rerecording, not a rehash. TB2 was Mike's attempt at making it sound 'happy', 'uplifting' 'dynamic', whatever you want to call it. Thats how he justified doing it and thats what that album was meant to be. This album, so he tells us, is supposed to be TB in tune and in time, thats his artistic justification for doing it, to put it plainly he wants as musically perfect a version as he can achieve. As soon as he starts seriously mucking about with the atmosphere of the piece he's onto very thin ice artistically because remember that was his artistic reason for the composing of TB2, he wanted a version with a different atmosphere, so he's been there already. Of course making the new recording in time and in tune will inevitably change the character and to a certain degree the atmosphere of the music but it shouldn't change it that much. If Mike has changed the actual instumentation and therefore the character of the sounds then he will drastically change the mood of the piece, which it looks unfortuately like he may well have gone ahead and done. But we'll all have to wait and see, It's a balancing act for him between taking it down the TB2 road and ending up where he was with that album (again) and genuinely keeping the atmosphere of the original whilst having it in time and in tune. 

If Mike got his head in check and realised what he's good at and what he's not he may well deliver, once again, a great instrumental album. The thing is I really do wonder sometimes is just how out of touch he is with his own ability to make and take the right artistic decisions. As far as I'm concerned this new TB could well be make or brake time for him. If it's all naff synth patches and horribly sequenced then It will definately be another nail in his artistic coffin  

ps That dance remix is what it is. It's not the album version. (it can't be)
Profile PM 

Posted: April 23 2003, 18:10

Mike said all the instruments on the new recording would be hand-played. All that synth in the 'dance' sample doesn't sound hand-played to me....it's the single mix.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 23 2003, 18:58

It's the bass on the sample. That's what's worrying everyone, it most certainly doesn't sound hand-based. The question is, if Mike has tinkered with such an integral part of Tubular Bells as the bass, what else could he have changed for the worse?

Myself, I shall wait before passing judgement. But I can certainly see and to a large extent agree with what Toby is saying.

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: April 23 2003, 22:15

It's the bass on the sample. That's what's worrying everyone,

I am aware of that. I was commenting on Fingers' statement that he believes the sample2 mp3 file is from the actual album.

it most certainly doesn't sound hand-based.

Well, I think it does. I could play that. However, I DO think it's looped.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 23 2003, 22:41

Let's not forget why this remake is made in the first place, for MIKE's satisfaction. HE wanted a polished version, we never asked for one.
But now it's here and as with many albums it's up to us if we buy one or not. I know I will, just to keep my collection complete. And perhaps I'll learn to appreciate it.I can't tell without having heard the whole thing. So I'll end by saying that I'm not eager right now, but I'm most certainly curious.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Fingers Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 09:18

I can't help but like the idea of a dance version of Introduction... If i remember rightly there's an extra beat in every 4th bar, so that ought to drop a few clubbers :)

We shall see in just over a month. I have to say, I'm excited  anticipating this release more than any since TB2.

With regards to "that bass" - MO has used the Roland VG-88 for years - there's a chance he's using the new V-Bass on this album (http://www.roland.co.uk/gr10/prodcatdetail.asp?ID=V-BASS)

Just because technology means you could do something, doesn't necessarily mean you should... I hope TB2003 doesn't sound like Mikes guitar performing with a karaoke backing!
Profile PM 
21 replies since Dec. 19 2002, 19:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net