Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is there anything else in Vivaldi Concerto in C..., ... apart from guitars and percussion?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
omgmo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 30 2020, 17:16

I like your discussion. I was thinking how I prefer those old analogue (?) electronic instruments to the ones that followed and prevailed after the mid-'80s... No comparison :(
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: July 31 2020, 13:24

Quote (Craig Evans @ July 30 2020, 13:50)
Its hard to make out clearly but the EMS Universal Sequencer with the ARP 2600 also appears among Mike's jumble of instruments in the photos of his studio from the Five Miles Out period.

Any chance you could point me at one of these pictures? Tried googling but "Five Miles Out instruments" doesn't get me anywhere!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2020, 11:18

Hi, Priabonia if you click on the full-size of the image on this page below you can see EMS Universal Sequencer hanging above the Fairlight C.M.I.

http://www.mike-oldfield.es/verfoto.asp?id=229

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2020, 04:56

Blimey, thanks Craig, you've got good eyesight, I had to blow it up and tweak the exposure to maximum to see that. Given that the EMS dates from the early 70's it is indeed likely that Mike had it during the Incantations period (and indeed possibly Ommadawn, for what sounds like a sequenced arpeggio at the end of Part One?). I had assumed he borrowed David Bedford's Roland (as shown in the "Song of the White Horse" documentary...I wonder why it wasn't shown in the "Boxed" instruments photo?

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2020, 10:33

The EMS Universal Sequencer had indeed been available since the early 70's.  When it was first unleashed on the world of music in 1970, it was by itself however in 1972 a variation of the EMS Universal Sequencer was made that was also available with a variation of the EMS VCS3 and in a briefcase to boot!  This classic package became the EMS Synthi AKS which was famously used by Pink Floyd on The Dark Side Of The Moon and other Floyd classics.

Interestingly, whilst the combination of of the EMS Universal Sequencer and ARP 2600 was used for a sequenced arpeggio in the "Lost Version" of the Ommadawn Part I finale, according to Korgscrew this arpeggio was actually played on a double speed guitar on the actual 1975 release of Ommadawn.

As well as the sequencer, a few other key instruments from Mike's classic 70's days are missing from the 1976 "Boxed" photo.  These are the Hammond, Farfisa, Lowrey and Gemini Organs, the 1957 TV finish Gibson Les Paul Junior electric guitar and the natural finish Gibson L6-S Deluxe electric guitar from First Excursion.  I think Mike just couldn't find room for all his instruments to fit in one photo.

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
24 replies since Jan. 13 2003, 08:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net