Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is there any multi-instrumentist here?, Or try to :)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Anaon Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 08 2006, 12:46

Hello,

I have searched for this topic, quite sure someone already posted one like that but I didn't find it.

So I'm wondering if there are some multi-instrumentists here and what do you play and how do you work?

Thanks a lot, it can be quite interesting I think ;)

AnaoN.

--------------
> My music: http://www.spleenarcana.com
> My blog: http://www.awenwoods.com
Profile PM WEB 
Anaon Offline

Posted: June 09 2006, 08:08

No one? :)

So I introduce you what I try to do... I play the guitar mainly, for 13 years now, electric and acoustic, and it's my favourite instrument if I can say that.

So some years later, I started the drum just because I love this instrument and a friend of mind sold his drum kits for really nothing at all. A great opportunity so I begun this instrument. I was in a band at that time.

So as I write songs, I naturally came to record them, on tape firstly. It was a chance to play the drum because I think that even with a bad sound, it sounds better than a drum machine, more human. My sister tried the bass guitar and stopped quickly so I took her bass guitar and played it on my songs.

Keyboards came later, I bought a small Yamaha and now I play mostly with a masterkeyboard and vsti... Well mainly to play pads and atmospheres because I'm not able at all to play solos... Or slow ones ;)

So I mainly manage to play my songs because they are not technical at all. Rather atmospheric and rock sometimes but not a technical stuff ;) I don't have the skills for that :)

And apart from that, I play the bodhran (huge Ireland lover) and percussion...

Anyway, is there anyone else in this case? Playing what he finds?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Mr_Brownstone Offline

Posted: June 09 2006, 15:38

My main instrument is the keyboard (been playing since I was about 3)

I can also play guitar (electric, acoustic and bass), been playing that for about 3 years, but can play pretty well (or at least i like to think ;) )

I can also play drums (pretty well again)

so like you i can record songs all by myself, im actually starting a complete re-recording of Pink Floyd's "The Wall"
Profile PM 
Anaon Offline

Posted: June 10 2006, 04:45

Quote (Mr_Brownstone @ June 09 2006, 16:38)
My main instrument is the keyboard (been playing since I was about 3)

I can also play guitar (electric, acoustic and bass), been playing that for about 3 years, but can play pretty well (or at least i like to think ;) )

I can also play drums (pretty well again)

so like you i can record songs all by myself, im actually starting a complete re-recording of Pink Floyd's "The Wall"

Hello :)

It's great :) and do you have all the gear necessary and the place to record?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: June 10 2006, 06:20

Hello...
I TRY to be one too hahaha...

I'm actually a bassist, but

I just recorded my first solo single (3 songs), playing it all myself. The way I do it, is to just play the drums first (and sing the song in your head to know where you are in the song) and then bass, guitars, keyboards, tambourine, melodica, vibraphone and vocals. The thing I'm not so comfortable with is electric guitar solo's. So I let some great 14 year old do that for me (we did that last night, the recording of the solo). He was very nervous and not self assured in the beginning, but later on he did great.
I don't want to sound bigheaded or nasty or whatever, but I like it actually more than playing with my band, I found out. No compromises and not having to argue... I love it.

Great to hear there are others trying this too. Great friend of mine jonny from this site is also very good on all instruments, and much much better on guitar :) :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Anaon Offline

Posted: June 10 2006, 08:37

Hello,

Happy to "virtually" meet you :)

I understand about the god feeling of playing alone. It can be dangerous sometimes because you you stay in your own world with nothing and no one to argue as you said but in general, it's great to really realise our ideas in that way.

I think we all have at least one prefered instrument, maybe the one that I learnt first, I don't know. Mine is definitely the guitar.

Piltdownboy > I guess so but do you have a home studio or something like that?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Anaon Offline

Posted: June 10 2006, 14:40

Oh yes I was wondering as well what both of you play like style of music?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: June 11 2006, 05:11

Quote (Anaon @ June 10 2006, 08:37)
Piltdownboy > I guess so but do you have a home studio or something like that?

Hello...

Yeah, I'm also very interested to learn more about your (the two of you) kind of music, and the way you write and record it, and what it's like. I find this very interesting.

No, I don't have a home studio. In fact I know absolutely nothing about the technical side of it, like recording, microphones or mixing. I don't even know how to copy a cd. There is a guy, who's 20, who lives nearby, and he wants to become this sound engineer at gigs, and recording engineer/producer. So he has all those equipment, like mixing desk etc. And I like to keep it like that, it's not where my interest lies, although I like of course to have a say in the mixing.

The style I play... eh, I wanted it to have a bit Beatle-like feeling. So I started out, (when I was writing my first song to be recorded solo, not by the band) with a Ringo sort of drumbeat. I wanted it to have an upbeat, poppy kind of feeling. Also I wanted my songs to fit at a party, for example. That you could hear it as background music too. Not that people would think: what's this weird stuff.  :cool:  :cool:  Although actually I like weird stuff hahaha... but for myself I wanted poppy tunes. I'll try to learn to put a song on the site some time soon  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Anaon Offline

Posted: June 11 2006, 12:30

Hello,

Thanks for your answer ;) I understand about your "secret weapon" who helps you to record. It can be a really good deal indeed, when you know the good personn of course.
And I can understand that you are not interested in the technical view of recording.

In fact, I'm not neither. Well, yes I am but not in this "mathematic" way, I don't know if you see what I mean... I like to record, to find new sounds, to place microphones, to obtain the better sound that I can have with my gear but... It has to be natural and "easy"... If it's too difficult and if I don't have the skills, it kills "inspiration", it kills the flow of "creativity" (and it's so rare, it's a pity to kill it  :D )

So I mainly compose with my acoustic guitar, so that I am now aware that there is acoustic guitar in nearly all my songs... Sometimes at the piano...

In fact, I begin by programming a click track with all the tempos changes, and then, some first tracks, in order to record the drums. And then I record the other instruments. Most of the times, I have already the idea of which atmosphere I want when I write the song.

Anyway, I still didn't have any songs really perfect, but I'm working on a first album, and I hope it will sounds right ;)

Oh yes, about the style... Difficult to say... I'm always embarassed to say it's progressive because it's not technical at all but my songs last in general 10 minutes, lot of guitars, vintage keyboards (mellotron, hammond, minimoog etc), acoustic guitars, some female voice here and there and my voice... And it's mainly melancholic. I don't know if you see what it can be... :)

PS : Sorry for the language...

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: June 12 2006, 12:45

Don't be sorry for the language... It's cool that there are so many different kinds of people here, and it's not about how your grammar is, mine is far from perfect too.

But I wondered...
Were you (both of you of course) also in a band at one time or another??
Because I am now, and I don't know why I tell it here, but it's been bothering me for a while recently. It's that I'm thinking more and more about wanting to quit the band. There's not a common sense of direction, I think. And it's something fundamental. It's just the complete difference between the drummer and me. We're really poles apart, and think/act different on all levels. I never seem to enjoy his style of playing, and he has opposite ideas to what our songs should be like. Not that anyone is right and the other wrong, just different views. Still... apart from that, when we're just chatting about something else than music, we get along quite alright.
But still it is difficult, as I'd be missing the guitarist and singer, I think, and maybe miss out some of the interesting things they could come up with...
Hmmm... sorry to bother you with it, but I'm wondering if you guys were ever in bands, and how it was like.

Also, misterBrownstone: I saw Roger waters 2 days ago, so I'm complete fan of the Wall. I'd love to hear your re-recording (if it's finished)!!  :D  Bye!

--------------
Profile PM 
cynicalgitplayer Offline

Posted: June 12 2006, 13:44

Hi
I'm a multi instrumentalist.
Electric, Acoustic and primarily Nylon guitars, Bass guitar, drum programming, keyboards and occasionally vocals.
Best way to explain how its done, is to go to my site
www.musicproductions.me.uk and visit the jukebox download page or the faq and the recording gear pages , it explains my humble no frills approach to laying down multi tracks and overdubbing / song construction etc.
I'm not one for bragging, I'll let the music speak for me..
All opinions welcome.
I can't be in a band as I cant read music, so if the singer said 'right lads, Hold The Line in g ok.'..i'd be bolloxed as I dont know where g is.......not good.
I do it by ear, one track  at a time on my 16 track and just noodle about until i have a nice chord thing going on with the guitar or synth then lay down a melody that fits and is in tune and then build everything around it and hope its in tune and it's interesting enough...sometimes it works, most of the time it sucks so i just burn the good ones to cd and ditch the rest he he....
To be honest, i get really fed up with people downloading my stuff then arguing about wether I can read or write music...i.e how can i do it and not know what im doing.....clearly they dont understand the power of a mulit tracker and a smidgeon of playing ability...after all Chris Spedding who  dii most of the guitar work on War of the Worlds cant read or write a flippin note, never has, yet is revered as one of the best players in the country, and still did the recent war of thr worlds gig entirely from memory and not a chart in sight, so Im pretty chuffed when folks question my ability against my productions...sort of a compliment...so thats why i love mulit tracking and playing lots of instruments...I can stand back and say it's all me....like it or not, you can only blame me for what you hear...long live multi instrumentalists.....

--------------
la musica me es pero mis ninos son mi vida
Profile PM 

Posted: June 12 2006, 15:56

Yes, I believe it's a good thing that you can't read notes. I can hardly do that either.

I'll visit your site now, as I got quite curious... :D

--------------
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: June 12 2006, 17:57

Great to hear there are others trying this too. Great friend of mine jonny from this site is also very good on all instruments, and much much better on guitar  

wow stefan thank you!

Yes Im also a multi instrumentalist and a bit of a dab hand in my little cheapy "studio" too. Ive been known to get lost in music stores and learn all sorts of wierd instruments, even though i usually dont learn them correctly i manage to make some type of sound come out.

Like you Anaon I play mostly with guitar, ive played for 8 years (Im 17) and all through that time ive learnt all sorts of instruments too.

If you want to add me to messinger or something i could try to send you some tracks or even give you tips if you can give me some along the way!

J

P.S. Stefan (piltdownboy) is awesome on his solo cd!

:D

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: June 12 2006, 18:03

I also cannot read music very well. i akes me about 25 minutes to work out a stave!!

J

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Profile PM WEB 
Mr_Brownstone Offline

Posted: June 13 2006, 20:01

i cant read music, i learn it all by ear, just picking out the key and working it out from there. Took me about 1 and a half days to learn TSODE on guitar/keyboard

It's great  and do you have all the gear necessary and the place to record?

I'm doing a rough version of my recordings by using a basic piece of audio recording/editing software called Audacity, and i place a standard PC Microphone next to the speaker. Sounds natural, but not great!!

Currently as i have no money, i need to play drums and bass on my keyboards but it sounds just as good.

Nice to see some other mulit-instrumentalists, were you inspired by Mike, or did it just happen naturally?
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: June 13 2006, 20:42

Quote (Mr_Brownstone @ June 14 2006, 01:01)
Nice to see some other mulit-instrumentalists, were you inspired by Mike, or did it just happen naturally?

Well both, Mikes music to me was natural, it was normal for me when i was born to be humming Sunjammer or five miles out, because my Dad listened to it everyday in the car and i Loved it, so its always been normal for me to expect a musician to play lots of diffrent instruments, I had always thought "thats what they get payed to do" but you know, now im older i know that there are lots ofmusicians that can only play very few instruments, such as guitar and drums etc.

yes too am pleased to see there are multi instrumentalists here also! :D

j

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Profile PM WEB 
Anaon Offline

Posted: June 14 2006, 07:56

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ June 12 2006, 13:45)
Don't be sorry for the language... It's cool that there are so many different kinds of people here, and it's not about how your grammar is, mine is far from perfect too.

But I wondered...
Were you (both of you of course) also in a band at one time or another??
Because I am now, and I don't know why I tell it here, but it's been bothering me for a while recently. It's that I'm thinking more and more about wanting to quit the band. There's not a common sense of direction, I think. And it's something fundamental. It's just the complete difference between the drummer and me. We're really poles apart, and think/act different on all levels. I never seem to enjoy his style of playing, and he has opposite ideas to what our songs should be like. Not that anyone is right and the other wrong, just different views. Still... apart from that, when we're just chatting about something else than music, we get along quite alright.
But still it is difficult, as I'd be missing the guitarist and singer, I think, and maybe miss out some of the interesting things they could come up with...
Hmmm... sorry to bother you with it, but I'm wondering if you guys were ever in bands, and how it was like.

Also, misterBrownstone: I saw Roger waters 2 days ago, so I'm complete fan of the Wall. I'd love to hear your re-recording (if it's finished)!!  :D  Bye!

Firstly, to answer to Mr_Brownstone, it came very naturally for me to play those instruments. In fact, I didn't know Mike Oldfield when I have started the guitar, the drums or even the keyboard :)

And now, I have discovered that there is a lot of multi-instrumentist in the music I love, I think about Mike Oldfield of course, Neal Morse, Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon) and many others...

About the band experience... I had different bands. I've played live in different places, some of the gigs were really great to live, but it has never been "easy".
Piltdownboy, like you, I had some problems... Most of the time, it was a big lack of motivatio from the others or just that we didn't have the same view of music... A really current and simple example is when I wanted to go in a complex way, they wanted to go for the easiest way...
Some stuffs like that...

So I'm happy alone but I would love to share my music with other musicians, I just have to find the ones who will undestand my stuffs... And most of all, I want to play live again!! ;)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
mindphaser Offline

Posted: July 03 2006, 10:40

If "multi-instrumentalist" means "lonely musician who writes music and records it all by himself on a multitrack" then this description applies to me as well (although I also play in a band)...  :) At least my style of recording is definitely inspired by the early MO records, and sometimes my music too (when it gets melancholic).
I got in touch with MO's music quite early, at the age of 10, but even at that early age I noticed that it must be something special because all instruments were played by a single guy. At that time I had already played the piano for about two years and was fascinated with technical stuff as well, so I started to experiment with my father's old reel-to-reel tape recorder which offered a kind of "sound on sound" facility. Soon enough I got bored by the sound of my piano because it only had one pre-set sound  ;)  and I begged my parents to buy me an electronic organ (they didn't). But about 10 years later I got my first analogue synth (a Korg MS10), followed by others whenever I could pick them up cheaply. That was in the early 90s when everybody was playing M1, T1, DX7II etc. I still have a serious aversion against digital synthesisers...
In the meantime a friend of mine taught me some basics on the guitar and I learned to play a bit of bass guitar as well, so I started to record my own tunes on a Fostex 8-track reel-to-reel recorder. Nothing special in the beginning but I learned a lot about recording techniques. By now I'm recording on a modest digital setup but apart from some editing, effects and rhythms which I'm doing on the computer, I still play everything by hand and the mixes are done on an analogue console. I couldn't work in another way, I still need the "real thing" - buttons, sliders, knobs and all....  :)

--------------
www.facebook.com/thesiliconscientist
soundcloud.com/the-silicon-scientist‎
Profile PM 

Posted: July 03 2006, 11:05

Quote (Mr_Brownstone @ June 13 2006, 20:01)

With me it kind of happened out of a small argument. I am still in a band (and we're getting along a bit better than few weeks ago I tend to think), but at one point I thought: Why should I waste my time waiting for them to finally get some urge to record, if I can do it myself.

Also I always thought about it being cool to play it all myself, but I thought it wasn't possible and had to wait for many years, then suddenly I found out it was possible after all...
Next week I'll record the last 5 tracks, and after all the mixing and mastering is done, then I've got my first album :P
Tubularman is already working on the artwork for that.

Mindphaser: very nice story. where can I hear some of your music??????

--------------
Profile PM 
mindphaser Offline

Posted: July 03 2006, 12:25

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ July 03 2006, 17:05)
Mindphaser: very nice story. where can I hear some of your music??????

Thanks :) I have three songs on my myspace.com page at the moment (click "homepage") and there'll be a 10 track LP album later this summer (not exactly a mass production as it's limited to 400 units... ;) ).

--------------
www.facebook.com/thesiliconscientist
soundcloud.com/the-silicon-scientist‎
Profile PM 
21 replies since June 08 2006, 12:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net