[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is Ommadawn The Greatest Album Of All Time?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 12 2007, 12:43

Quote (onion @ June 12 2007, 09:25)
It´s strange..I have never liked MO´s  earlier work....it has always been so dark and moody to me...I could almost feel a depression coming on, starting them...
I first started to like Tubular Bells in MO´s remake 2003..the sound was so crisp and clear and now I like it much..the original Tb is still just to dark for me....I feel sad when I listening to Hergest Ridge and incantations and thats why I never do it....I really don´t think I ever going to love and appreciate those 2 albums.
........While I don´t like hergest ridge and incantations because they are to dark, (think it´s good quality music but too dark)

Mike

I'm sure if you gave Incantations and Hergest Ridge a few more listens they'll maybe start to grow on you. I know it took me a while to really get into Tubular Bells (1973), the 2003 remake just doesn't move me the same way:/ , yep I'll sometimes listen to it, but for me it just isn't the same. I guess each to his/her own on this one, but what I would say  is  "If it ain't broke then don't fix  it".  I guess my musical taste ranges from gentle  through to some Heavy Metal and also Goth.    :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
oldfieldfan06 Offline

Posted: June 29 2007, 11:16

i feel ommadawn is a typical display of MO in the early stages of his carreer- not so much influenced  by computers, he tends to move me mainly with the second part of ommadawn. the first one transfers me to middle ages a bit...
on horseback? well, the only problem  to discuss.. i think a different genre..  in general, i would give it 90 percent  :D
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: July 21 2007, 11:25

Greatest album of all time is a big word...right now at the eight listening it has to be a ...nö.
Side 2 of the vinyl is still a mystery to me.
At the beginning it sounds a bit scary, then some Irish pipe is trying to blow my ears off, then sad sounding fluit with a short powerfull ending and then some sort of "dancy" melody. But what for me is most difficult to really adore about this is the very naive, happy ending song. I know there seems to be some of the Oldfield family singing there and it's beautiful and all that...but for my musical ear it's just overkillingly lively and a bit too simple...just a bit.

So still Tubular Bells + some other albums from Mike and Jean Michel Jarre's Equinoxe is more interesting than Ommadawn for me, sorry. :cool:

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 31 2007, 00:51

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ June 10 2007, 07:29)
I've always said "Oh ma dawn" as opposed to "Ah ma dawn" - a long "O" instead of a short "O".

Quote (Ugo @ June 10 2007, 18:04)
OOOOOOOOOOh - mah - dawn... with a long, very open O. :D

Quote (olracUK @ June 10 2007, 19:45)
short "O" as in Orange.

Quote (Alan D @ June 11 2007, 01:05)
I presume the way it's pronounced in the song itself is the definitive guide? You know? - the 'Ommadawn egg kyowl' stuff?

:laugh:  I'm still confused. On the album, I hear "Ah ma dawn", but apparently some listeners hear "Oh ma dawn". So, is it supposed to sound like 'octagon' or 'mow my lawn'? I would find an argument for the latter unconvincing since "Ommadawn" is supposedly based on 'amadan' - a word I would certainly pronounce like 'Padawan' rather than 'dope a fawn'. But then, that would deflate the clever play on words, "Ohmygawd", that I've seen elsewhere and like quite a lot. Of course, maybe I am the 'amadan' for not being able to clearly identify vowels even when they are sung to me! In any case, it all makes me want to prostrate myself in gratitude for the fact that Amarok is 'Amarok' and not 'Omarok'.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2007, 04:05

Ommadawn is not only the greatest album of all time, it also has the greatest opening line to a song ever - "I like beer, and I like cheese".

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2007, 12:30

Quote (Man In The Rain @ June 19 2002, 13:07)
OK, music taste is a subjective thing. People like different things, and yet one would agree that someone who listened to Bach would have better music taste than someone who listened to Slipknot. I hope. Anyway, despite music taste being mostly subjective, there are still often people wanting to find the greatest albums of all time, hence the proliferation of polls on the internet, in magazines, and hosted on radio around the world. Normally, the Beatles always are awarded the best albums of all time, with either Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, or Revolver. Famously in the past, Radiohead and also the Stone Roses have topped similar charts. However Mike is often noticeable due to his absence – rarely Tubular Bells appears, and even when it does, it is in the lower section of the chart. Nothing else seems popular enough to register with voters – including Ommadawn. Now, Ommadawn seems to be, overall, the favourite amongst fans. Its seen as Mike’s greatest achievement, his masterpiece (or rather, his most definitive masterpiece). In my opinion, it is not only Mike’s greatest achievement, but the greatest album ever recorded. It is a beautiful, unique and very moving record. With albums such as those made by the Beatles, they are in song format – songs are fairly restrictive and predictable. Verses, chorus, maybe a solo. I know the Beatles and other artists, notably Beach Boys, sought to expand the boundaries of the pop song, and nothing can compare to Gershwin. But I feel that the best of Mike’s work – Ommadawn – is so much more. It doesn’t lift your spirits and then drop you after five minutes, it’s a proper experience. The music is beautifully detailed and yet the melodies are so strong and timeless, a tune may have been developing for six minutes and then one notices a repetition in the background, which comes to the fore and leads the piece in a new, unpredictable direction. Ommadawn is just so incredibly uplifting, and yet conveys a vast range of emotion, ranging from happiness to seemingly despair and a sense of, as Mike put less-subtly put it, rebirth. In my mind it makes the Beatles sound merely like pretty little pop songs, attractive but disposable, incomparable in beauty and worth. Nothing that I have heard before or since compares, apart from obviously classical music and some other works by Mike himself. It was also highly innovative at the time - and still is 27 years later. So, that leads me to ask…is Ommadawn the greatest album of all time? Have you ever heard a record that you could honestly say you think is better than Ommadawn, and if so, and what basis do you form your opinion? I’m very curious, as Ommadawn seems to be such an amazing high-watermark to me in popular music.

Oliver

TBII , even surpassing I

;)

ommadawn is okayish...good, very good. impressive...but not from top to bottom.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2007, 18:39

Well, it's not the greatest album of all time for everyone, (no such thing exists, it can't possibly) but for me? I think I have to say it is. I wander off and try all sorts of new things & I like them, but I keep wandering back and being absolutely convinced of it whole beauty. I feel the same about Tubular Bells ( the original ) and Amarok, but Ommadawn is the one I cannnot be parted from. Ever!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 08 2007, 18:56

ommadawn is the reason for why i made this
http://www.freewebs.com/theultimatebell/ommadawn2007edition.htm
:D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 04:08

Quote (bee @ Dec. 08 2007, 18:39)
Ommadawn is the one I cannnot be parted from. Ever!

*High Fives Bee* I'd have added an extra exclamation mark, though.

Tubularman, that playlist looks wonderful! Unfortunately, 'rar' files and I are not compatible. I think I tried that format many months ago, for something or other, but I couldn't figure it out.

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 08:34

It is easy! Just download winrar, install it, and then you are ready to download the Ommadawn album. When the download is finish, just right click the file and choose extract here ;)
this video show how to extract it. It is very easy.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVB2W5i6eo

1. download winrar here

2. Then open the file, and install.  
press ok and agree.

3. Now go to the download link for Ommadawn and you will soon get the winrar file. Once this is finish you do what the guy do on the video. Very easy!

Just right click the Ommadawn winrar file and choose extract here. :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 16:57

I now have the tracks on my iTunes playlist and I'm looking forward to having my own private Ommadawn party tonight. Thanks so much for doing this, Kay, and for the step by step instructions.  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 18:19

:D  GREAT

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 19:29

Tubularman, I'm going to have to have a go at downloading that, it looks simply superb! Thankyou so much. :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 19:57

Quote (bee @ Dec. 10 2007, 01:29)
Tubularman, I'm going to have to have a go at downloading that, it looks simply superb! Thankyou so much. :)

It is all my pleasure.
For Fans from an fan :)
Ommadawn is forever my fav! I had to do this.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2007, 04:38

Initially, I feared that I'd experience an Omma-dose, listening to one version after the other on Kay's Omma-album, but each of them have different attractions. After giddily enjoying all of these performances (a succession of revisions through the years) multiple times, I'm really stoked for an Ommadawn2008.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2008, 02:30

Is "Wembley '83" the rockingest Ommadawn ever or what?? And "Katowice '99" is gorgeous and nicely captures the mystical quality of the original. I can't get enough of them.

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2008, 02:56

I think it's in the top 5 for sure. Right next to Hergest Ridge. I remember in 1975, when I was 14, I walked into a record store-that's what I did mostly as a kid was spend every penny I had on records records records-and saw Ommadawn. I bought it immediately and headed home to play it. I remember my older brother's girlfreind banging on my bedroom door...."who is that? who is that?"....she had to have it. But what was "pleasantly creepy" was that when I was a lot younger than that, around 10 or 11, I had this dream about an album cover. I remembered the dream when I woke up and thought "hmm that was a weird dream". The cover was predominantly blue and had a picture of a young guy with long dark hair and a thin beard. Then at age 14, the exact image in the dream was this album cover. I never beleived in the supernatural but this was just too strange. For that reason it is special to me. But more for the music. It is a masterpiece and years later when CD's came into existance, and it was offered digitally, it was never altered the way HR was. That made me happy too.....
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2008, 01:49

Christ, thats a lot of Ommadawn. I really enjoyed it, thanks. My fav. was track 2 on cd 3, the 1999 part one. The slickest version I ever heard. There were some Emu keyboards in there, you would expect that in 1999. I love it. Gonna burn that part to play in the car.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2008, 03:33

I don't know what "Emu keyboards" are, Scatterplot, but I agree - it's a wonderful performance, even as only a condensed version.

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2008, 01:00

Emu was a popular synthesizer line at that time. Particularly the Proteus and Proteus2000. I like that recording because it's higher-tech than the others, but with the same feeling. Wish I could have been there. To my knowledge MO never played in the US. Especially not in Texas. I looked for concert opportunities for decades. None.....I guess either A: he prefers to stay in Europe or B: the number of people who like his music here is too low to make touring here economically feasible. I'm more into British art rock so I've only met a handful of people in 25 years who actually owned one or more of his albums. Or I could be wrong, maybe there was a show right under my thumb and I didn't know about it.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
152 replies since June 19 2002, 13:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net