[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is Ommadawn The Greatest Album Of All Time?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Anonymizeruk Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 27 2004, 16:55

Hi folks.

Hmmm. I think I would have to say that, in my opinion, Ommadawn is Mike's best work.

I'm a HUGE Tubular Bells fan, but I have always found that the one album I enjoy listening to the most is Ommadawn.

I especialy notice it when I havent listened to it for a while. I'll perhaps go 3 or 4 months without playing it, then when I decide to sit for 40 minuites and listen, I always find myself thinking 'Yeah, I really like that one. Should listen to it more often'

The same can be said for many other bits of music, Oldfield or not, but in my case, I remember thinking this about Ommadawn more than anything else.

Ommadawn on DVD-A? Well, when that happens, it will be a no-contest :-)
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 27 2004, 19:09

I haven't replied to this thread, but now I feel like it lol. It is a very wonderful album, but it doesn't top TSODE for emotion and feeling for me. And the 'laid-back chaos' mix to it really bugs me. I wish everything was more upfront that quiet as it is.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
MAN IN CRISES Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2004, 10:48

Hello there!
I think Ommadawn is one of the best.
But Crises is also good... very good!
And Tubular bells III is the best  :)
And after all... TB III and Ommadawn have the same atmospere, I think because they are dark, in a word these 2 albums is calling for help and the gitars is crying ( I love that sound! )  :cool:
Ommadawn is for me a story and the album have everything!
Ommadawn has a beginning and its happy and sad, and the horseback song endt title happy ending is perfect and makes you glad!
Ommadawn is a manic album.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2004, 17:24

Ommadawn was the first MO album I heard, it was just so different, so powerful, and it led me into a life long love of his work.

But i have to rate it as my [/B]2nd[B] fav album after TSODE.
Why? Because it wasn't a departure,a new direction. It was the perfect peak of those first 3 albums. Tsode is a new direction, new ideas, the start of the multi-media mike.

plus.."on horseback"? any of the les penning singles would have fitted, but that? Ruined it.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2004, 18:13

Actually, the one thing that I loved about ye olde Michael and miss in his TSODE era is his sense of humour... or, how Lord George Starostin would put it, "self-deflation". :/

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
MAN IN CRISES Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2004, 19:46

Horseback is something little spesial for it self. My home near the town and trouble and cars noises +++
I feel the songs MO play. Like Ommadawn = It cryes and its sad but!  ...It have a little bit optimsm!

If I have been to long for one place (trouble)
its good to be on the horce back or take a beer ha ha  :laugh:

Horseback song its a very happy ending song, therefor its fits after the two parts of ommadawn. The two parts tells about manny feelings and trouble and angre. But the end laughs about it!

Brilliant!!!!    
:cool:
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2004, 20:10

I don't think On Horseback ruined Ommadawn. I thought it finished it off quite nicely. It was a nice happy ending but still with the Ommadawn voices and minor-chord edginess in it. It is a great little song.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
MAN IN CRISES Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2004, 20:44

So true man!!!
It have that little christmas sound?
Or some I would say: Its good to hear something happier (after two powerfull parts)
;)
Profile PM 
Anonymizeruk Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2004, 08:50

Heh.

I like On Horseback too. Its a nice, easy-going ending to a quite serious peice of music.

And don't you think the chorous is catchy?  :D
Profile PM 
MAN IN CRISES Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2004, 19:29

Yeah its fantastic! I love the Horseback song. Its perfect on rain days and when you sad. It lighting up your  :(  and turn it to  :)

One way or another its the best endtitle happy song!
The voices from children makes you glad!!!!

I love it and i singing (Horseback) in the rain!!!
   But im not the man in the rain....

Im the man i crises  ;)
Profile PM 
lordlucan Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2004, 03:51

My favourite album of all time ever is "Zeit" by Tangerine Dream.   first heard it when I was 15, and it was the first thing of theirs I ever heard...yeah, I was weird as a kid, being able to love an album like that without being on drugs...

Mike Oldfield's "Amarok" is a very VERY close second.

My God, I've just now realised...1990 was musically the most important year of my life!  Discovered "Zeit", heard "Tubular Bells" for the first time, bought "Amarok" on the day it came out (quite by accident, too, I just happened to be in a record shop at the time...)
Profile PM 
Curunir Offline

Posted: April 17 2004, 08:42

Yes, Ommadawn is quite amazing, I must admit.
I don't think I can name is the best album I have ever listened to though. I can say that "Lateralus" by Tool is another record which has had a great influence on me.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: May 17 2004, 06:17

Quote (Guest @ July 28 2002, 22:50)
It's one of his best,undoubtedly.The wealth of themes in Part 1 verges on brilliance,and the generally friendly folky ambience makes it an uplifting listen. However,I've always felt underwhelmed by the rather uninspired and repetetive first 5 minutes of part 2.If this section had been sharper(and rather more concise)then Ommadawn would have been his best work.

I pretty much agree with this point about the first minutes of part 2 (it gives me a headache in much the same way as the middle section of part 2 of Hergest Ridge does!;).

But the rest of the album is first class.  I think the problem lies with Mike's image.  He hasn't been a hip name to drop for years now, and the rock media, even the likes of Mojo, can be staggeringly snobbish.  Now if Mojo were to do a big feature on Mike and remind all the 30-50 somethings out there just how fabulous some of Mike's work was/is, people would remember how much they liked him and maybe his albums would start appearing in those greatest lists and charts.

Ommadawn is my favourite Oldfield record.  Part 1 is staggering.  I must have played it a dozen times in the past week (I just bought Boxed on CD).  It would certainly be in my top 10 albums of all time.

Having said that, I still tend to skip that first part of side 2.....

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: May 27 2004, 11:21

I must me the only one here to love the beginning of side two. It's dark and rich and dense and powerful, and speaks of mischevious things, still it leads to mirth. One of my favourite Oldfield moments, really.

However, I'm not that keen on the beginning of side one, I always thought its use of the thematic material is very inferior to the last half (from 12:00), and to my ears it has always sounded sluggish and dragging, the overdubs slightly out of time with one another. And the production a little flat and somewhat one-dimensional, compared to what comes after.

On Horseback? I think it is splendid way of ending the album, though it always makes me think of Ringo Starr (as a singer, not a drummer). Like putting Yellow Submarine after Tomorrow Never Knows on Revolver.

Ommadawn his best? I think Incantations is much better, as a composition and as an album. Ommadawn is number two in my book, closely followed by Hergest Ridge, Tubular Bells and Amarok.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: May 27 2004, 11:27

Quote (Satyagraha @ May 27 2004, 11:21)
However, I'm not that keen on the beginning of side one, I always thought its use of the thematic material is very inferior to the last half (from 12:00), and to my ears it has always sounded sluggish and dragging,

Heresy!!  Where's me blunderbus?

;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: May 27 2004, 11:43

Before you shoot me, consider this: I knew that last half of Ommadawn Part 1 well before the rest of the album, because I bought The "Complete" Mike Oldfield with it's Ommadawn excerpt at its release and Ommadawn a year or so later. That's why I was, and still am, so disappointed of the beginning. It just can't match the second half in terms of musicianship and compository skills.
Had the rest of the album been of equal quality the end of side one, it would be Oldfield's best.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: May 27 2004, 13:30

Looks like a reason for Ommadawn 2005 :D

Trouble is, Clodagh Simmons would be replaced by a so-called 'virtual vocalist' and Jabula would be replaced by a drum machine etc.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 28 2004, 04:53

Yeah, and the guitar at the end of part one with a virtual toy sax of course! Come on Mike, what are you waiting for?
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: May 28 2004, 04:58

Quote (Satyagraha @ May 27 2004, 11:43)
Had the rest of the album been of equal quality the end of side one, it would be Oldfield's best.

But it is.

And it is.

:)

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 07:31

I can't say if it's the best album ever. :O
But I think it's the most wonderful Mike's album. The pinnacle of his production, one of the most involving piece of music I've ever heard. TBII is near, but doesn't have this "ancestral" and folk "ambience". I'll never be tired of listening to Ommadawn.  :)

Of course all IMHO. ;)

bye
Andrea
Profile PM 
152 replies since June 19 2002, 13:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net