[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is Ommadawn The Greatest Album Of All Time?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 12:16

Quote (Jammer @ May 27 2004, 13:30)
Looks like a reason for Ommadawn 2005 :D Trouble is, Clodagh Simmons would be replaced by a so-called 'virtual vocalist' and Jabula would be replaced by a drum machine etc.

Also:
The virtual vocalist would say "Ommadawn, Ommadawn" occasionally throughout the album. In fact, this would be the only thing it said (in keeping with all those recent Oldfield tracks in which the vocalist speaks the title of the track)

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 18:48

Yes.   I don't think an album moves me in such a way as Ommadawn does, with the possible exception of Hergest Ridge.  Ommadawn can make me cry or smile, I can feel sad and then feel happy, when I play it.  I always end up smiling  :D , when it comes to On Horseback.

I've often wondered why Part 1 always makes me feel so ALIVE, perhaps it has something to do with the fact Mike described it as a "Rebirth", but Mike put it more crudely.  if I can I try and sit or lie back, close my eyes let the music flow over me (as long as I'm not driving at the time, of course).

Satyagraha Posted on May 27 2004, 16:21
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I must me the only one here to love the beginning of side two. It's dark and rich and dense and powerful, and speaks of mischevious things, still it leads to mirth. One of my favourite Oldfield moments, really.

I love the beginning of Part 2 too. To me it often feels as if I'm waking up after just entering the world, especially if I've drifted off, and I'm in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.  (I'm wondering if Bradnor Hill and Hergest Ridge are regarded as being  an AONB, to me the area is so beautiful and spectacular. I'll have to take Ommadawn on my CD Walkman, when I next visit Kington, and walk up Bradnor Hill or The Ridge, and try it there).

The Uillean Pipes, make me think of loneliness and isolation, perhaps a pining for something or someone. Then the Bodrhan section, is more upbeat, a respite from the isolation, then On Horseback is the positiveyhappy finale :).

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
rimbaud65 Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 09:29

A couple of years back I bought "Amarok" after not listening that much to Oldfield for a long period of time. It was very intriguing. It sent me back on a nostalgia trip and I began to pick up the old records. I listen to them alot when I was younger.

"Ommadawn" is for me Oldfield's finest work and it's so moving, brilliant, exact. You can listen to it four, five times a day. It's emotion, clarity, pictures, and has an innocence to it that is unsurpassed for me in popular music.

Bob Dylan "Blonde on Blonde" (1966) is an example of a record that is up there in the category of greatest album but it's so far away from Oldfield's that it's impossible to compare. "Rain Dogs" Tom Waits, "After the Guldrush", Neil Young... I mean the greatest record ever???

I would conclude, however, that it's Mike Oldfield's best record, and that's to say quite alot.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 18:57

In short YES, Ommadawn IS the greatest album of all time :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 07:42

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Feb. 11 2006, 18:57)
In short YES, Ommadawn IS the greatest album of all time :)  :D .

Correct answer :cool:
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 16:45

Is Ommadawn The Greatest Album Of All Time?

Well I don't know it has evrything an instrumantal needs.
I'm a die-hard fan of Amarok but honestly, Ommadawn isn't the Greatest album of all time, but the Greatest instrumental album of all time. :)
Mikey made a monster

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 07 2007, 04:06

I believe someone earlier described great music as being "devastating". To me, Ommadawn is devastating. Many years ago, it could have been the soundtrack to my breakdown. As perfect (or very nearly so) and as moving as TSODE is, it doesn't affect me as powerfully as Ommadawn does.

On the subject of "On Horseback", I'm undecided on whether or not it's necessary to the album. But boy, oh boy, am I GLAD it's there.  :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: June 10 2007, 06:41

How did I miss this thread?

IMO, I can't say that it is the best album of all time, there is just such a wide range of music out there, and Ommadawn falls under one of those categories. It's never been my all-time favourite MO Album, although it is right at the top with my personal favourites HG and TBIII. I would be willing to put it forward as a contender for the Greatest Instrumental Album of all time, or the most underrated Album of all time, but not the overall best.

There are many different genres of music, but for me, Ommadawn can't pip them all to the post. It may have a gentle celtic influence fused with a devastating climactic effect with the darker pieces, but despite the diversity of the Album, I can't say that it can be compared to a vocal album. In terms of diversity, The Beatles really hit the mark with Sgt. Pepper and White Album. Meanwhile, other bands such as The Feeling really strike a chord with me (pardon the pun) because their lyrics mean so much to me, something that, for all its excellence, Ommadawn just can't do.

Ommadawn provokes a whole manner of different feelings in me, yet sometimes I just need to feel as if someone can feel my happiness or anger, and sometimes Ommadawn can't fit that purpose. But despite all that, it is definitely one of the Greatest Albums of all time, but I could never say it is THE greatest, but it's pretty darn close.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: June 10 2007, 07:29

While we're on the subject of Ommadawn, how do you pronounce it?  I've always said "Oh ma dawn" as opposed to "Ah ma dawn" - a long "O" instead of a short "O".  I can't remember ever hearing anyone actually say it.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: June 10 2007, 15:42

yes

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 10 2007, 17:52

no
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: June 10 2007, 18:04

O'maybee

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 10 2007, 18:04

OOOOOOOOOOh - mah - dawn... with a long, very open O. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 10 2007, 19:45

short "O" as in Orange.

And in the top 10 ever, but not The number one.

But from the age of 13 to 14 I lived, breathed and played this album. Along with writing really bad poetry about why no-one understood me, and how I was sooo in love with whatever girl, and how I had discovered the meaning of world peace. If only we could just get along together. But what a horrible place the world was to live in.

And now, many years later, I realise that is basically what Mike was doing too - just he could play guitar and express it so much better.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 11 2007, 01:05

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ June 10 2007, 12:29)
I can't remember ever hearing anyone actually say it.

I presume the way it's pronounced in the song itself is the definitive guide? You know? - the 'Ommadawn egg kyowl' stuff?
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: June 11 2007, 02:37

Until I have listened to every album ever made, I can't say. But for now, it is definitely the best album I've heard.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 11 2007, 13:58

Quote (clotty @ June 11 2007, 06:37)
Until I have listened to every album ever made, I can't say. But for now, it is definitely the best album I've heard.

Yep well I would say that Ommadawn is the most underrated album ever made, and is my own personal favourite, don't think I could honestly compile a list of my most favourite albums as there's so many, and some of the positions change  . For a while I went off of David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust  album, but recently it's been in my CD player (along with Hunky Dory) nearly everyday  recently.
:)  :D

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: June 11 2007, 18:45

I think it rhymes with "Om-my-god"

er....... for those of you who don't know this is the polite Scottish expression you make when someone pulls out in front of you while you are driving.

R   :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 12 2007, 01:42

Yes

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: June 12 2007, 05:25

It´s strange..I have never liked MO´s  earlier work....it has always been so dark and moody to me...I could almost feel a depression coming on, starting them...
I first started to like Tubular Bells in MO´s remake 2003..the sound was so crisp and clear and now I like it much..the original Tb is still just to dark for me....I feel sad when I listening to Hergest Ridge and incantations and thats why I never do it....I really don´t think I ever going to love and appreciate those 2 albums.
For a long time I thougth ommadawn was the same....but for some odd reason -after hearing amarok - I started to listen to Ommadawn and it is definitively at my top 3 of MO.
I have read that MO described the ending of part 1 to be anger/rage - but to me it sounds more like despair..anybody else get that feeling?

While I don´t like hergest ridge and incantations because they are to dark, (think it´s good quality music but too dark) - I absolutely hate (spitting on the floor) light & shade as the only one..stupid machine music....and I´m especially disappointed that a genius as MO could make such an album..

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
152 replies since June 19 2002, 13:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net