Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is "mandolin" said twice???, It's faint, but there...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
HearItAll Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 10 2003, 21:04

I finally got to hear TB 2003 and to my amazement, when listening with headphones as I do ALL of Mike's work, I can hear John Cleese say "mandolin" a second time.  Listen and count 13 beats from when the mandolin starts playing, and you can hear it faintly.  What and why?   Any clues?  A contest??  Dumb luck???  A mistake??????????????????????????  -- Naaaaahhhhhhhhh

Ommadawn is my all-time favorite! :)
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 10 2003, 21:09

Yes this has been noticed before. Have you also heard the sniff on Ghost Bells? ;)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
HearItAll Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 21:38

Oh wow!  I just went to that track and heard it.  That makes me think of the TB itself, when I and others heard what sounded like inhaling when he was picking.  It's the same section that matches the last part of "Latin."
Profile PM 
Fallen Angel Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 08:24

yes it is said twice for the comic humour of john cleese speaking again in his silly voice.

--------------
Heaven was Open and I fell out
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 20:18

And I was the one who noticed those two things (second mandolin and sniff) at first ;)  :p

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 21:39

Well then let us all give honor to Blue Dolphin for being the greatest mandolin-detecting, sniff-finding MO fan on Tubular.net!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 21:51

I'd be extremely surprised if anyone hadn't noticed the second mandolin the very first time they listened to TB2003. If they hadn't then they couldn't have been listening very closely!

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 22:09

Whoa, don't go sky-diving... just joking here. I'll buy a beer for you guys! :)

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 22:19

lol!!!

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 12 2003, 08:10

;)

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: June 30 2003, 10:14

I don't think that "mandolin" is "said" twice.  It sounds exactly the same as the first time it is spoken, as if it were layered onto the track again, or the vocal sample was triggered one more time.  A mistake?  I don't know, but I don't think it was actually spoken a second time for comic relief. :)
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 30 2003, 10:15

Yeah, that's possible too.

Remember the pre-echo on Incantations? ;)

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 30 2003, 17:42

Yes, it sounds exactly the same. That's what used to happen to tapes when what was recorded on it leaked through to the next layer. Of course, TB2003 was recorded digitally, so that can't be the case. So perhaps it's a joke to remind us of the old days, but I don't really believe it is. But it's hard to imagine it's a mistake either; he must have noticed it... I guess it'll remain a mystery unless someone asks the man himself about it.
Profile PM 
Allan_N Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2003, 09:29

It's not a mistake, it's just said twice. Nothing wrong 'bout that. I think it's funny. Can't you see him standing there on the stage, in the spotlight, his trousers are too short, a bit uncomfortable, nervous, beads of sweat glittering on his forehead...reading the list of instruments from a piece of paper... ? Like "mandolin! ...[no? yes! that's right, here's the] mandolin!"

Even if it were recorded on tape there wouldn't be an error like that, believe me.
Profile PM WEB 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 06 2003, 14:25

It's not said twice, it's just printed onto the recording twice.  Call it a "mistake" or don't, but that's what it is.  A "double-printing" I mean.   :cool:

It's just too low in the mix to be intentional.  Of course, since I wasn't there, do I really know?
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 06 2003, 15:03

Considering that Mike cut and pasted the whole part from a load of different takes, I really can't see how it would get in there by mistake - if he'd happened to make some kind of slip in editing, he'd have noticed. It would be visible on screen even if he couldn't hear it (and really, I'd be very surprised if he couldn't). I just can't see it being something that's easily overlooked. I can't say I found it funny either, I guess it's just not my kind of humour.
Profile PM 
Allan_N Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2003, 05:03

I know it isn't said twice, but it's very obvious it was put there on purpose.

On Amarok there's a synth part (sounds like a synth accordion or something) that I couldn't hear before I got a pair of really good headphones. Do you think that was a mistake too?
Profile PM WEB 
Punkadiddle Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2003, 10:25

About the sniff in TB when he is picking, he also sniffs at the part where he plays the Excorsist theme out of key and picks a riff over the top of it.  He plays this riff 3 times.  If you listen closely at the end of the third riff he sniffs.
Profile PM 
17 replies since June 10 2003, 21:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net