Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is it valid?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
starfish Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 24 2010, 14:52

Quote (Mark @ June 24 2010, 12:43)
Quote (Korgscrew @ June 13 2000, 20:00)
But, what do people out there think...has David Bedford butchered Mike's masterpiece,

I think Mike performed a far greater act of butchery of TB1 on the 'Exposed' tour.

I actually really love the Exposed version.

Look, the original Tubular Bells is the master copy, everything else is just re-interpretation.

Some people like these re-visits, other's don't.

But personally i think it's great that we have these different takes on the classic album. Personally I think OTB and Exposed are more valid than, say TB2003 or the recent remaster, purely because it's a different take, rather than a faithful copy.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 25 2010, 03:52

Have to agree.I like OTB.It will never take the place of the original but in it's place it's fine.And the if you really listen to the orchestra on the Exposed version it's based largely on Bedford's arrangement anyway,particuarly evident on part 2 in the Caveman song.Take out the everything but the orchestra and there it is.And the solos by Mike at the end are worth the admission price on there own.I can't think another guitarist capable of putting so much feeling into the last view notes.They are obviously overdubbed but it's so well done.It's not as if Mike wasn't even present at the rest of  recording sessions.There's an interview on Tubular Net with Mike and Bedford in a pub in Barking during a break in recording where they are talking about it.
To me TB2003 is a bit like one of the millions of films that are being remade at present.All the familiar lines and scenes but with a slightly awkward sheen and polish which doesn't sit right.
To conclude OTB is a perfectly good peice of music and a Deluxe version with OHR (yes i know Mike's not on it)would be a very welcome re-issue!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 25 2010, 13:52

I think the Orchestral Tubular Bells is not only good, but as legitimate as any other work from Mike as it's a real recording showing originality and a life of its own.

I've even preferred it from the original in certain moments or states, because it adds something different, yet very good as well.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
22 replies since June 13 2000, 20:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net