Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is it copy protected?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AwayWeGo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 26 2015, 03:20

Is Amarok copy-protected?

If so, was there a remaster which was not copy-protected?

I find the copy protection to be extremely annoying because all it does is:
1). Make it so I cannot correctly back up music I have purchased with my own money
2). Make me afraid to put the disc into my CD player for fear of ruining it
3). Degrade the quality of music if I can rip it into my library by confusing the reading mechanism of the computer

So, I would like to know before I purchase this.

In fact, if anyone could provide me a list of the Oldfield albums that were copy-protected, that would be fantastic! (:

Isn't it ironic that Mike originally copy-protected his discs to make sure he made all the money for every disc he sold, yet many of us steer completely clear of these discs to avoid said copy protection?

Also, I want to add, I am scared of the remaster of this album that is probably on its way sometime in the future. If any album by Mike should NOT be dynamically messed with, it's this one. The loud bits being SO loud is what makes this album great.

I'm afraid that if this album is in fact so far copy-protected, I'll have to wait to get the remaster, which might be as poor as the Five Miles Out remaster.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2015, 18:46

Short answer - no.
Technical answer - from other members, I'm afraid.

TB2003 was the only one to fall properly into the grand old days of copy protection.  The 2000 re-masters just about pre-date all the fuss that Napster personified, and by the time Sony had had the good sense to torpedo their own attempts to solve the problem of "illegally" copied discs, Light and Shade had already been released in such a way that one's only criticism could be of the music...  ;)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2015, 19:57

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Aug. 26 2015, 18:46)
Short answer - no.
Technical answer - from other members, I'm afraid.

TB2003 was the only one to fall properly into the grand old days of copy protection.  The 2000 re-masters just about pre-date all the fuss that Napster personified, and by the time Sony had had the good sense to torpedo their own attempts to solve the problem of "illegally" copied discs, Light and Shade had already been released in such a way that one's only criticism could be of the music...  ;)

Thank you (: The reason I ask is because I think there are a couple more releases by Oldfield which were copy-protected. For example, I bought The Millennium Bell and when I tried to copy it to my PC, track one made a sound that basically resembled rocks scraping against metal.
Profile PM 
Spoself Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2022, 07:34

I can’t express in words how much I was delighted with the cryptocurrency exchange site, follow the link https://earn.cex.io/staking and join the professionals to increase your income.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Aug. 26 2015, 03:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net