Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is Islands ABBA-like?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 11 2001, 06:16

Hello everyone. As I have ABBA amongst the (other) artists I like, I'd like to ask a question to every other MO fan out there who also likes the music of ABBA [hope I'm not being blasphemous smile]. My question is this: Do you think that some of the songs on Islands are ABBA-like or even ABBA-inspired? To me two songs in particular sound very ABBA-ish, i.e. the two on which Anita Hegerland sings lead, North Point and When The Night's On Fire. It may be because Anita is Norwegian and so, being close to Sweden smile, her vocal harmonizing style has been influenced by the typical one of the Swedish fourpiece. I can hear this all through the songs I mentioned [and also on Innocent from EM, although (IMHO) at a lower quality level smile], but there are two lines where I think that the ABBA-like harmonizing comes to the fore: "Comes alive" in the chorus from North Point and "Trouble and trial" from the second part of WTNOF.

I'd like to know what do you think of all this.

P.S. If no-one of you out there likes ABBA, please don't attack me. Just ignore this post. wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2001, 21:09

My girlfriend is an avid ABBA fan, and I don't mind them, though after prolonged exposure they can become wearying...

Hmmmmmm, it's not a connection that immediately sprand to my mind. I suppose there are some similar harmonizing techniques but the actual structure of the songs themselves is quite un-ABBA like to my mind.

Incidentally, do you own the album QE2? It contains a cover of ABBA's song "Arrival". Superior to the original IMHO.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2001, 18:56

Yes I have QE2 [I have an almost-complete MO discography, including many rarities smile] and I agree with you smile

Regarding the ABBA similarities, I was not talking about the musical construction of the songs (I know that they're classic pop songs à la Oldfield), but simply about the vocals. wink Anyway, I think that, if you listen to Slipping Through My Fingers [your girlfriend may know what I'm talking about wink] and then to WTNOF, you'll find a certain similarity in the way the songs are built, especially in their verse/chorus structure, and in the way the main melodies develop.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2001, 19:01

...Oh, by the way... in 1982 ABBA had just split and Frida did I Know There's Something Going On, written by Russ Ballard. IMHO Mike got quite a good inspiration, from that song, to write Innocent. wink Listen to it and judge for yourself. wink

--------------
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2011, 20:13

For me, the most ABBA-ish things from Mike are the vocals on Pictures In The Dark and Innocent (Anita).
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2011, 02:37

Had to do a double take on this thread started in 2001 - not 2011!

All songs sung by Anita could be Abba- like because of the singing accent being similar to Frida and Agnetha's.  I could imagine an Abba type close up on their mouths singing "Northpoint".

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2011, 07:33

And this is quite Abba-like. Could imagine Frida and Agnetha singing "Time Has Come" ... has an Abba Anthem feel about. And a "Dancing Queen" type sound in there.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO7P6PAGitM

This is a good thread Ugo - it's got me thinking!! :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2011, 18:09

@ wiga: there is a little-known Abba song called "Put On Your White Sombrero" which is structurally similar to "The Time Has Come". But yes, pretty much all of the Abba songs with a big choral ah-ah-ah sung by Agnetha and Frida sound like "The Time Has Come", and vice versa. :) It's not only a matter of accent - Norwegians and Swedes don't sound anything like each other when they talk. Yet they do have a special quality in their singing.

I'll add a more precise example. Listen to "North Point" here at 1:11, "Comes alive"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trfkKin3qfE

... and then listen to the chorus of this. Apart from the similarities in the keyboards and guitars sounds [and apart from the fact that the two songs are in the same key!!], the vocals in the chorus ("Don't go wasting your emotion...") have the exact same sound as the "Comes alive" bit. Maybe the Scandinavians have it in their genes... or in their jeans. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpOctmvZwxc

--------------
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 08 2011, 00:34

I don't feel the similarities. I find that Mike's songs are slower. To me, it's Top Of The Morning that seems to be the same thing as OMD's Enola Gay.

Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2011, 10:31

For me the very ABBA-ish things are the vocal harmonies by Anita :

Follow the light that glows through your bedroom window...
Tonight, tonight, the fading twilight.
There's a hollow deep in the woods
Where you know you're crazy
To go, to go, not even meant to know
There are...

I know you´ll never stay the same
In time most of us lose it
But I´m hoping just the same
you´ll shine and learn how to use it
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2011, 18:28

@ captain cavern: well, yes, I may admit that's Abba-ish too. What I was trying to point out is actually that Anita's way of singing is very close to how Abba used to sound - maybe, as wiga suggested, because of where she comes from - and I chose the Islands album because that's where she did her best, IMHO. But obviously Anita's Abba-isms are all over the place wherever she sings in Mike's music, and of course I love that. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2011, 18:42

The world of singing accents is a strange one.  I'm occasionally struck by just how neutral an artist chooses to be.  I've heard songs in French/Spanish/etc. that are by native speakers, so far as I know, which sound as though they could be by someone from Birminghams, England or Alabama.  The subtleties elude me, naturally, and when it comes to songs sung in English, my spider-sense has been known to tingle before I learn which nationality is involved.  Reversing that, when it turns out they're a proud citizen of Freedonia, I will retroactively inform you that you can tell by the way a word sounds. :D

Growing up, ABBA were the most noticeable example of singing in perfect English and talking as though they were members of Bjorn Again.  So you discover the boys taught the girls phonetically - does that explain the accents they followed?  Beats me.

To confuse the issue further, I give you two singers from the same part of the world whom I would assume don't have to sound alike in the way they sing another language but happen to anyway.  As the credits rolled in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers what turned out to be my favourite of the songs Peter Jackson and Howard Shore used began to play.   "Bjork - nice one", I thought.  Emiliana Torrini it turned out.  "Sounds Italian" thinks I.  True enough, but at some point her Icelandic heritage was pointed out.  Now she doesn't base her career on copying her fellow countrywoman and I had to doublecheck today from my memory ( another artist I don't own! ) but it took very little time to find a word - "place" - that made it sound as though Bjork was standing beside her in the studio.

Incidentally, I may not know the history of all the music in the Rings films but I accuse the current Wikipedia article of a certain amount of bollocks.  Searching for Emiliana's Gollum's Song took me there and it may well be that it was conceived for Bjork to perform.  Now I can't prove this anymore but I will swear to you that the first time I registered Emiliana Torrini's name  was as the credits rolled in the cinema, and whilst I was expecting another name to be credited as the singer.  Honestly - who can you trust these days?    :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
11 replies since Sep. 11 2001, 06:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net