Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: IRC Channels, Discussion of new and existing< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bevy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 31 2003, 16:08

lo all

has this foum got an irc ch# ??

If so what is it??
if not should we set 1 up?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 02 2003, 14:40

Try #mike_oldfield on dalnet.

There was a brief experiment with having a chat room on the website here, but it was never very popular - most people preferred to go over to dalnet and use the channel there.

I think there may be some on other networks - there are certainly some spanish language channels elsewhere.
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 18:50

no,,, one for here,,an irc???
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 06 2003, 13:49

No - like I said, the chatroom on tubular.net was never popular, and it was extremely rare to ever find anyone in there.
I think most people much prefer to use stand-alone IRC software rather than a web-applet anyway (and then, is there any point setting up a tubular.net channel when most of the forum users who want to chat go into one of the already established channels?). I'd personally prefer to encourage people to use the channels which are already existing, as then we may end up with one or two popular channels rather than us creating yet another one which is mostly empty.

One I forgot to mention is the german-language channel #oldfield.de also on dalnet.
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: June 06 2003, 13:54

k  :D
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2006, 18:37

The irc channel is still around folks, but a bit forgotten these days. For a while we had quite a collection of folks chatting most nights, but it has gotten quieter recently.

I guess these days MSN messenger and the other messenger services are the popular choice to chat live to each other. So, who keeps in touch with who?

I'm a bit of a tart when it comes to talking, I love to chat. I've spoken to people on 4 continents from so many different backgrounds, and got to know the people behind our strange nicknames. Posting here is fun, and allows in-depth discussion of Mike, but talking live allows our community some extra "width".

Is there any interest in setting up regular chats? And on what format?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2006, 18:56

Theres a chatroom thing on the runrig forum and people arrange what night to go in when it will be busiest but its never any body in it other nights.

Think alot of ppl prefer msn espesh now that you can have more than 2 people in an msn conv.

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
Morti Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2006, 12:43

So there's basically no IRC channel these days? That sucks. I use IRC all the time with other groups of people, be nice to have a Mike Oldfield channel that's populated.

--------------
The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2006, 13:04

Quote (olracUK @ Sep. 06 2006, 18:37)
Is there any interest in setting up regular chats? And on what format?

This sounds like a really good plan!!!!!!!  :cool:

how?
Maybe just add a whole bunch to msn and do a joint conversation...
That's right, as conversation while smoking a... nah, kidding... but together, I mean :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2006, 15:52

I never used mIRC much, and haven't used it at all for a long time - so I recently uninstalled it when it was explained to me that it's become an increasingly significant security risk during the last year or two.

The crunch came for me when two of my anti-malware scanners (AVG and a-squared) started to identify it as 'riskware' - not a threat in itself, but so commonly used as a vehicle for malignant infections as to warrant an alert. So I got rid of it.

I'm not a frequent online chatterer, but personally I wouldn't now use mIRC, no matter what. There are some incredibly nasty pieces of malware out there, and it's getting nastier all the time.
Profile PM 
Morti Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2006, 19:41

Quote (Alan D @ Nov. 23 2006, 15:52)
I never used mIRC much, and haven't used it at all for a long time - so I recently uninstalled it when it was explained to me that it's become an increasingly significant security risk during the last year or two.

The crunch came for me when two of my anti-malware scanners (AVG and a-squared) started to identify it as 'riskware' - not a threat in itself, but so commonly used as a vehicle for malignant infections as to warrant an alert. So I got rid of it.

I'm not a frequent online chatterer, but personally I wouldn't now use mIRC, no matter what. There are some incredibly nasty pieces of malware out there, and it's getting nastier all the time.

There are IRC clients besides mIRC, X-Chat is good though not so easy to use.

mIRC is only a risk if you go to channels where there are risks. If you join a trustworthy IRC network and sit in channels where you know people aren't out to get you, you're fine. Less of a risk than Internet Explorer by miles and you have to have that.

Here's my suggestion. Get mIRC or any other IRC client, use it to get to irc.darkmyst.org (I think DarkMyst is on the list of networks available when you install it) and join #mikeoldfield

What do we think? Can we get people back on IRC but on a nicer server and a new channel?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Morti Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2006, 19:52

I joined the Mike Oldfield channel on DALnet and there was nobody there, I guess people have given up on this idea somewhat.

Anyway, I figured it'd be good to have a new one. I've just created #mikeoldfield on DarkMyst (irc.darkmyst.org) which anyone's welcome to join. Please do, as well, channel's a bit boring with just me sitting in it. ;)

The nice thing about DarkMyst is that it's a small network and I know some of the people who run it pretty well. It's safe, secure and trustworthy and because it's small the odds of the name you want being available to use are good.

I'll also stick some useful IRC bots in there if there's enough interest. Please join and discuss Mike Oldfield stuff (and whatever else) with me and whoever else fancies coming along. I'm not going to bother scheduling chats and things, just join when you can and sit in there.

Hope to see you all there.

Incidentally, in terms of IRC clients, I recommend either mIRC or X-Chat. X-Chat would be my preference and a free Windows version can be downloaded from http://silverex.info/download/ (or go to http://www.mirc.com I guess). The server/network again is irc.darkmyst.org (mIRC has it in its list of networks by default if I recall correctly) and once connected type /join #mikeoldfield

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Morti Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2006, 21:13

I decided to find out, see my post in the Meet & Greet section for details.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 23 2006, 22:43

People are still on IRC now and then. This past week, I chatted with a few friends I'd not seen in awhile....somewhere around 2AM GMT. :O  BTW....the IRC/Dalnet channel is /join #mike_oldfield--don't forget the _  :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2006, 03:11

Quote (Morti @ Nov. 24 2006, 00:41)
mIRC is only a risk if you go to channels where there are risks. If you join a trustworthy IRC network and sit in channels where you know people aren't out to get you, you're fine.

Well, call me paranoid if you like - but what's to stop the people who are out to get me joining the channels that I think (in my innocence) are trustworthy, and getting me there?

If I were a bad guy and wanted to get me, that's what I'd do.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2006, 03:16

I feel I must point out once again that mIRC is considered 'riskware' by some anti-malware programs, and they flag it up as such.

I'm not willing to install it on my machine again.
Profile PM 
Morti Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2006, 09:06

Quote (Alan D @ Nov. 24 2006, 03:11)
Quote (Morti @ Nov. 24 2006, 00:41)
mIRC is only a risk if you go to channels where there are risks. If you join a trustworthy IRC network and sit in channels where you know people aren't out to get you, you're fine.

Well, call me paranoid if you like - but what's to stop the people who are out to get me joining the channels that I think (in my innocence) are trustworthy, and getting me there?

If I were a bad guy and wanted to get me, that's what I'd do.

You would still need to accept DCC transfers or whatever. Like with emails, don't download and run things from people you don't know.

Even so, that's very unlikely to happen on this server, troublemakers get spotted and removed very quickly.

If you're going to continue to be paranoid, give X-Chat a go. I linked to a free Windows version in the other topic.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Morti Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2006, 09:07

Quote (Inkanta @ Nov. 23 2006, 22:43)
People are still on IRC now and then. This past week, I chatted with a few friends I'd not seen in awhile....somewhere around 2AM GMT. :O  BTW....the IRC/Dalnet channel is /join #mike_oldfield--don't forget the _  :)

So you reckon it's worth shifting to the other one I made on the nicer server or shall we just hover around the old DALnet one?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Morti Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2006, 09:12

Quote (Alan D @ Nov. 24 2006, 03:16)
I feel I must point out once again that mIRC is considered 'riskware' by some anti-malware programs, and they flag it up as such.

I'm not willing to install it on my machine again.

It's less of a risk than Internet Explorer and it largely depends what you do with it. Yes, risky things are transmitted through it but you know if you're being sent a file on mIRC because it asks you first and it's up to you to decide if that file is trustworthy or not. This is more likely to happen on DALnet than on DarkMyst, I guess, but you'd be safe anywhere as long as you're not an trigger-happy moron with the "accept transfer" option.

Also, as I've said, X-Chat is considered to be more secure and is unlikely to show up as "riskware" (which is a silly term in itself anyway, anything that allows data transfer over the Internet could be "riskware" in the same way).

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 24 2006, 10:36

IMHO, the more options the merrier. I hope that eventually Second Life will become one of our options. It would be great if Mike had a presence there--the things happening in SL are incredible.

As long as folks know where to find the various MO spots, they'll go where they can, where it's convenient, etc. Years ago, there was a prescribed time that people got together, at 8PM GMT Saturdays. Then, folks started meeting whenever. Tubular.net is also on Dalnet/IRC, under #tubular.net. We used that for a chat session awhile back with Christopher von Deylen. I can't remember how many tuned in, but I think it was around 30. In the future? I don't know what we'll do. It would also depend on the guest.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
35 replies since Nov. 23 2006, 19:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net