Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: IRC Channels, Discussion of new and existing< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
olracUK Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 24 2006, 11:21

I've used mIRC happily for a few years now, without any ill effects other than lack of sleep! I also have x-chat but prefer mIRC.

Yes it is quiet, but keep dropping by and eventually some-one will turn up. As a lot of us occasional users have used the dalnet channel I personally think it best to stick there.

Possibly one reason why irc is getting quieter is the growing use of MSN and ICQ. Although smart looking and easy to use, they don't encourage people to "drop-in", they have to be invited to multi-person chats unlike irc.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2006, 13:08

Quote (Morti @ Nov. 24 2006, 14:12)
anything that allows data transfer over the Internet could be "riskware" in the same way.

I think that may not be an accurate description of the situation. All I can do is offer the information I've been able to gather myself, and then it's up to the individual whether it's a risk he or she wants to take.

As far as I understand it (which isn't far), mIRC is considered a risky piece of software on two grounds.

1. Some trojans actively use mIRC to communicate with their criminal authors through an IRC network. In fact they actively install some form of IRC client on the compromised machine in order to do so. I think this is the primary reason why some antispyware programs pick up mIRC, and call it 'riskware'. If the user hasn't deliberately installed mIRC himself, then he needs to be alerted that it's there because clearly his system has been compromised even though mIRC itself is not malware. Personally, I'd simply prefer to know that there are no IRC clients on my system - so if I find one there, I know it's a baddie. But that's a personal decision based on the fact that online chatting isn't very significant for me.

2. I was told about other mIRC problems by someone who runs an internet security advisory service. She used mIRC for many years as an administrator and operator on a large chat network, but has now abandoned it because people were distributing more and more malevolent code and she says she couldn't keep up properly with writing scripts to foil them.

Now, maybe I'm just picking up the collective paranoia from talking to too many internet security gurus, but at the end of the process we all decide what risks we're each willing to take on the internet, and this was a sticking point for me.
Profile PM 
Morti Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2006, 18:08

Okay, well I'm currently sitting in both channels (the old one and the new one) and we'll see who turns up. I'd suggest moving to the new one still for reasons of it being a smaller, more comfortable network where we have easy and direct admin content and there's much less dodgy stuff going on but if IRC types would prefer to hang around on DALnet then fair enough.

I rarely defend mIRC, to be honest, it is an awful program, but I still think that really it's as damaging as you let it be. X-Chat is nice, the Mozilla chat client is pretty neat... so there are other options (personally I use Irssi).

Should we have a poll to decide where to meet on IRC and once decided could it be mentioned on the front page of tubular.net with network/channel details and perhaps an installation of CGI:IRC on the site to go with it?

--------------
The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2006, 20:29

Quote (Morti @ Nov. 24 2006, 23:08)
Okay, well I'm currently sitting in both channels (the old one and the new one) and we'll see who turns up.

and where were you? Hmphh..gone to sleep I guess!  :D  :zzz:

--------------
Profile PM 
Morti Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2006, 20:55

Nope, eating and watching videos. ;)

I'm around plenty.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2006, 07:54

Hello all,

I have been watching the board and have noticed that some people like to play games and make other suggestions to pass the time. I have noticed elsewhere flash-based internet relay chat clients. Would people be interested in using such a feature?

If the mods require a demo I can give them a link to a site.

For users wondering what it's like, its like running MSN messenger through a web client like Internet Explorer, but instead of adding people you enter a room where people meet. "AKA chat rooms".

I realise that this may take up significant resources, but having seen it work very well elsewhere it might well be an idea.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2006, 13:23

what about a weekly chat or so
indeed, sounds ok  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Morti Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2006, 06:10

I wouldn't use it.

We have two IRC channels, if you want to chat it's very simple to get on them. If you're going to do anything like this, install CGI:IRC and point it to either of the channels.

I recommend the newer one, #mikeoldfield on irc.darkmyst.org but some people still seem to cling to the old one. I'm happily sitting in both, if you come in to either and say hi I'll spot you if I'm around.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 08 2006, 07:18

Here's an earlier thread on the same subject:

http://tubular.net/forums....;hl=irc

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 09 2006, 10:06

The vertigo continues....I have merged the two recent IRC topics and moved everything to "About these forums."  It was a toss up with "Meet and Greet" and after investigating, here is where the other related topics live (yes, there are even others). The search feature isn't perfect but it helps locate similar topics.

BTW....caught up with Morti on IRC last week (nice chatting with you!!;) .  I'll try to get back there over the weekend between activities!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: May 27 2008, 20:00

It's been a long time and 2 PC changes, so I lost touch. Is any one still out there in irc land? And on what server/channel?

Or has everyone gone over to that new-fangled IM like yahoo messenger and MSN? I see murdo/Bluetape on MSN and a few others occasionally, but it's kinda quiet.

I remember Inkanta used ICQ but then went off to Second Life, but I still keep flying into walls there.

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 29 2008, 21:55

I pop into IRC every once and awhile and find it totally deserted. I usually check #mike_oldfield and sometimes #tubular.net. I am often simultaneously on Skype (inkanta2), MSN (Inkanta), and in SL. I don't have ICQ loaded on this computer, coming to think of it. Re: Flying into walls in SL--half the fun, hahaha! There are a couple of great new prog rock places--Subterranea and The Tree (Porcupine Tree, IIR). You can often find Morrighan Heron at the Subbie. Korrigan pretty much hangs out in her house or on Renaissance Island. But anyway...back to IRC....8 PM GMT used to be the hour that folks would get together. Maybe we should try that again.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 29 2008, 22:38

I've pretty much abandoned all IM programs except for AIM now which works wonderfully well for me. MSN just got overstuffed with people I don't even know anymore. Even after a big list prune there were still lots of nicks on there. Just thought I'd start over and add people's names who have AIM and who I talk to only from MSN.

I'm on IRC sometimes for the Dwelling of Duels' listening parties. Haven't been to a Mike Oldfield IRC in ages.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2008, 17:02

its a bit of a shame...I always kinda liked IRC..

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2008, 20:34

kiwwy! You're still alive?  :p

--------------
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2008, 21:08

Quote (olracUK @ Sep. 17 2008, 21:34)
kiwwy! You're still alive?  :p

Yees, I might have been far away for a while, but slowly been creeping back lately...

Still a shame about IRC though.

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
35 replies since Nov. 23 2006, 19:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net