Hendrik Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 29 2003, 18:02

sorry ...."Back"-cover...
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 29 2003, 19:58

Hey, now I know how the back of TB2003 looks like. Wonderful picture with the water!!! Lovely!!! thnx Hendrik!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 29 2003, 20:40

Even though it's low quality, I went 'WOW!' I too love the water there.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 29 2003, 20:59

Copy protection. Don't get me started on copy protection! Man, it gets annoying sometimes when I put a CD on to listen to when I'm doing work and it won't play. I agree with Korgscrew that all it will do is annoy everyone and won't stop copiers. I'm sure some people can only play CDs through the computer, so what are they supposed to do? Probably it will increase copies, just so people can actually listen to the thing. Speaking of why people don't pay for CDs, prehaps its something to do with the fact that Apple Computer's new music service is selling songs for $1.61 each, while we pay $30 or more for an album.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: April 29 2003, 21:17

What a beautiful picture with that water... lover it!!! :)  

Now about the copy-protection - the fact that it is slapped on there so big and bold detracts from the beauty of the water image!  I have one of the first German copy-protected CD's "The Chase" by the Rednex and yes you can play it on the computer, but you have to have a DVD-ROM and play with sliding it in and out a few times.  When I got it to play I copied it immediately so I could have a back up.  These copy-protect devices are only a challenge to those of us that find them absolutely annoying in every way!  Mark my words hackers and MP3 lovers will find a way around this soon enough and I can't wait!  

The only albums that deserve not to be pirated are albums such as Tubular Bells which have substance and imagintive motives.  On the the other hand please please pirate as much Britney Spears and NSync - they have NO! talent!!! ;)  

BTW... has anyone noticed that on all pictures of TB2003 there is no appearance of Mike Oldfield written anywhere.  Is this destined to be another Millennium Bell - oops we forgot the artist name?  Just because some of the world knows that a CD is written by a certain artist doesn't mean that everyone does and therefor it might be a good idea to put it on the cover and not just the sides.  

Something that also has occured to me... just because a CD is copy-protected in one country does not mean that it will be copy-protected in every country.  So, hopefully here in America - where Mike has decided to grace us with his presents for the first time since 1997 - we will not have this unfortunate addition to an otherwise brilliant product! :)  

Christopher
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 30 2003, 00:19

I'm in Canada and I haven't even heard of copy-protected audio CDs before. So hopefully, I won't have to hear it about the Canadian release of TB30 :).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: April 30 2003, 06:25

Where did they get the back cover picture from anyway? Maybe it's from the DJ version which is already being sold via e-bay (at a crazy price of over 100 Quid!;).  I must say I do like the 'cleaned up' picture for TB2003.

For me, i'm treating this as a NEW album and will still listen to TB1973 as it is and certainly do not see TB2003 as replacing it.

Mike still has magic in him - the TL2 album shows that (don't really like TL the CD that was officially released).

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: April 30 2003, 07:53

the back cover looks really great... the colour and shape of the wave is amazing, there’s strength there (i do hope that is a sign for the music inside) but its prominence is half shared with those big letters…COPY PROTECTED… i’m worried that after spending what could be a considerable amount of money in the polished tb + the complete tb box + later, the tube world (cause yes… i’m going to buy them all…)  i’ll have to get a non-legal way to be able to enjoy what i’ve paid for… i use my computer to listen to music and my dvd player is also in my machine's bowels … i’m not very keen on the idea that i should have to use my discman to listen to it in a worse quality or to go to some friends’ with the disc under my arm to be able to watch the dvd bonus tracks… cause the protection would also affect that, wouldn't it? hope it will work fine in my equipment...

to be honest i’m looking forward to tb2003 being released and the runway gets clear for ‘the tube world’ taking off… that is really his “new” work… which btw may have NEW MUSIC or am i wrong…
a bunch of doubts and hopes...

well, now the countdown’s starting… 27…

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 30 2003, 08:19

I wouldn't panic (yet) It's very possible it's just these promo's that will be copy protected and not the officially released album (I hope)
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 30 2003, 16:06

Yes, where's that old message on the back saying "can't be played on old tin boxes" ??

Welcome to the 21st century. Now it's "COPY PROTECTED"

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Justin
Unregistered

Posted: May 02 2003, 21:57

Whoa! This feature features a major office building in my hometown of Denver! Was Mike there recently?

Well, jumping back to what we think of his new single, all I can say is...so what? It's decent footage of a flying tubular bell, cheesy narratives of rejuvenation (desert-green grass-oceans), cheap mirroring effects, and repetive track swinging between two musical themes. Sure, it's still better than most tracks out there on radio, but that's not the point. It's to my mind the wrong approach to marketing this album. You can keep the footage, just don't think that VH1 will take it and promise to play it every hour. In the States, the smarter thing to do is to call up your friends on PBS, prepare a fancy film of one of your concerts, and hope they show it non-stop during Pledge Drives. It has worked for almost every major new-age musician in the states, and corny operatic singers like Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban. The video would be used as fancy background for this televised concert, since that's what it is: background. The TB 2 concert was shown in this way, and was indeed one of his more successful LPs stateside. Sure, you're not going to acquire new teenage fans this way, but don't think that teenagers improve their musical taste by listening to the radio. It's usually a more subterranean affair and chance. Hell, almost all Oldfield fans in the States have come to know his music through friends or chance, without ever seeing  a video of his, and hit singles like Moonlight Shadow are never played on any radio station. Even those old enough to have witnessed the release of Tubular Bells in states in the mid seventies tell me that it was received more as a college rock album than something presented side by side with the Carpenters and the Osmonds.  

In conclusion, this video is pointless, unless you want to use for a concert background display for Mike's fancy concert filmed at the Royal Albert Hall, drawing millions of curious baby-boomer viewers and convincing them to make a friendly donation to their local Public Broadcasting System station.
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: May 05 2003, 20:47

I've been away recently but no-one seems to have noted that on the back of that cover, it quite clearly states "Bonus DVD" that has the same features as the DVD that comes with the Tubular Bells box set - so people won't need to fork out for the complete set to get it.

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 06 2003, 08:08

Hey great! Good of you you noticed that!

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 06 2003, 11:50

I mentioned it in the discussion about pre-ordering, but I guess I forgot to add it here...

It's available in two editions - the one with DVD is a 'limited edition' that costs about 5 Euros extra.
Profile PM 
73 replies since April 25 2003, 14:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net