Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Introduction to the album, Mike's sleeve notes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CJJC Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 06:35

There are moments in all of these pieces where I feel that I reached a musical high spot. In many cases, I reached these high spots by taking a long and sometimes tortuous route! It's a bit like climbing Mount Everest: Reaching the summit is the ultimate goal and achievement, but it takes months of effort to reach the top of the mountain and you have to steel yourself to climbing back down again! In all of the instrumental tracks and the songs presented here, I think I got as close to perfection as I could get in my eyes, even though they may or may not have been critically or commercially successful at the time. Two Sides is essentially a collection of the pieces that best represent how I feel about my music. It is a selection of work that I think is artistically relevant and is of great personal value to me.

(all sleeve notes come from conversations with Mark Powell)

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 07:08

I recall there was much interest in the sleeve notes (especially once we get beyond about Incantation and know less about the creation of the music in context) but not enough for many users to buy the actual compilation so I hope the replication of them here is helpful and not particularly frowned upon. I will understand if they need to be removed.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
adler Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 13:55

Thanks for the transcription of the notes!

It's very interesting!!

I bought all the Deluxe recordings but "Two Sides" seems to me just a compilation of songs.
I see no point in buying it only to read the notes :-)
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 16:06

Know that I got it just for you lot.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
3 replies since Aug. 21 2012, 06:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net