Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Interview on BBC World Service's 'The Ticket'< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 18:56

The BBC World Service show The Ticket featured Mike on Saturday. You can listen again online (the interview is shortly after the beginning of the show).

Muchas gracias, David of mikeoldfieldblog.com
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 19:25

great
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 20:01

Many thanks David & Korgscrew  ....I loved this interview where Mike actually talks about music and his outlook on it....

BLAST !!!! ...how can this man talk of retiring when he lives and breathes music even playing guitar with his fingers WHEN HE'S ASLEEP !!! ....When Mike said this it gives me hope he may not retire. I'm a bit happier now !

I was feeling  depressed earlier thinking the quotes ( or rather statements I thought were quotes ) shown in the TV AD for MOTS were from forthcoming  5 star glowing reviews when instead Classic FM Magazine & The Times both gave an average 3 star review for MOTS ! The Mail On Sunday didn't even review it ! How much did Universal pay them for those words on the TV AD I wonder ?

:(  :)
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 20:09

:/ I'm really sad to not understand all the things that he said ; i don't know why but i think what he has said at 8: 47 is very important ! Is there anyone to write what he said at this moment of the interview ? ( it's easier to understand for me like this ) . I think it's about the end of his carrier , i hope i'm wrong .  :/
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 20:39

I don't believe he mentioned retiring in this interview though he has in others ....he did think Rock Music has no where more to go whereas Classical Music has so many more textures and possibilities for the future !  

...though isn't Heavy Metal a form of Rock Music ? ...Obviously then ? ( sadly ) he had his tongue firmly in his cheek when suggesting on the Sky News interview he may do a Heavy Metal album next ?
:(
Profile PM 
Man From The Moon Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 08:06

Don't worry!Mike can't end his great carrier, becouse he still has a contract with a record label!:) He has to record three albums for them - we have "L&S", "MOTS", and... One more to go!:))) According to the contract, at least one more album must be born!:)))
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 08:27

If he really wants to retire then maybe he'll become pissed off with the contract and make AmarokII with some morse codes for Universal executives. :O  :p
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2008, 07:49

Darn! I can't listen it anymore! Did someone record it?  :/

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Taynie Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2008, 12:58

Is he ekas like going to retire.

He wants us to yearn that's all.

--------------
once these things get going it's jolly hard to stop them again
Profile PM 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2008, 17:50

i also do not believe that he will retire.  mike said he would retire after voyager and never so let's no believe this until he offically annoces it.  with the success of music of the spheres i believe in a few year mike will return.
Profile PM 
Gladstoner Offline

Posted: May 19 2008, 21:04

I don't think Mike will retire just yet.

You don't easily retire from your passions.

--------------
You don't find great music. It finds you.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 07:23

Mike retire?Hey he said around the time of Hergest Ridge that he didn't really see himself doing more!
 He'll still play (i can't see myself stopping playing and i'm sure all of us who play anything will agree)so while he can hear and has hands then he'll play.And while he's got a contract he's kind of obliged to make at least another.
 On the other hand though if he did retire look at what we have already and what an album to bow out on.MOTS is certainly in my top 5.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 17:54

Quote (HuanCry @ Mar. 24 2008, 02:39)
...though isn't Heavy Metal a form of Rock Music ? ...Obviously then ? ( sadly ) he had his tongue firmly in his cheek when suggesting on the Sky News interview he may do a Heavy Metal album next ?

Obviously HM is rock - how can it not be? :D And Mike already did HM (Shadow on the Wall, No Dream, Altered State, Outcast), so it wouldn't be totally new for him... would it? :p

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 18:29

Quote (Ugo @ May 20 2008, 19:54)
Quote (HuanCry @ Mar. 24 2008, 02:39)

Obviously HM is rock - how can it not be? :D And Mike already did HM (Shadow on the Wall, No Dream, Altered State, Outcast), so it wouldn't be totally new for him... would it? :p

But a 100% HM album nope.I'd love to hear Mike's fantastic electric guitars screaming out loud once again \o/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
13 replies since Mar. 23 2008, 18:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net