[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Interview on BBC London< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 03 2004, 01:32

From Mike's message board at mikeoldfield.com:

Join me on Tuesday 6th April at about 2.15 pm as Avatars on BBC London Radio.
I will have my Laptop with me and will post my ip on the bulletin board as soon as I hook up.
Let's talk to LONDON!

BBC London can be heard on 94.9MHz (FM) in the London area. It's also possible to listen over the internet, via their web page (click 'launch media player' and then 'BBC London 94.9fm - listen online now'. You will need RealPlayer to be able to listen).

Please note that the UK is currently 1 hour ahead of GMT, so Mike will be on at 13:15 GMT, meaning 15:15 CEST (most of mainland Europe).
Profile PM 
Skeletor Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 05 2004, 13:24

hey,

i think that im going to miss mike on BBC Radio London,
is it possible that anyone could record it and post it online.

thanks

Skeletor
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 05 2004, 17:29

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 03 2004, 01:32)
Please note that the UK is currently 1 hour ahead of GMT, so Mike will be on at 13:15 GMT, meaning 15:15 CEST (most of mainland Europe).

How is that? (Sorry, OT, but I'm wondering!)
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: April 05 2004, 17:52

Holger -

broadcast is 2.15pm = 14.15 BST (British Summer Time)

14.15 BST = 13.15 GMT

14.15 BST = 15.15 CEST (central euro summer time I think?)

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 05 2004, 18:52

I see  :D
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 06 2004, 09:59

It's odd in these interviews, Mike always goes on about waiting to hear someone do something really experimental with modern music. The fact of the matter is is that there are tons of poeple, some of whom are quite mainstream, doing very arty exprimental stuff. I could point him towrds tons of bands and artists, he should pay attention to what other poeple are doing.

I do love these interviews though, you just sit there thinking 'what are other listerners making of all this talk of Gravitars' and such like. Good to hear he's working on a new album, though I don't know if I like the sound of that comment about using the latest music software. Are we ever going to hear the sound of the old Mike again?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 06 2004, 10:31

Latest music softwares can help Mike,much like some stuff in the past,like Fairlight.But it's important to be smart to use those in a compent way.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Posted: April 06 2004, 10:31

Mike mentioned Garage Band. It would be cool if would release or give away some loops, from TSODE for example...
Profile PM 

Posted: April 06 2004, 10:46

For fellow friends who had lost the chance to hear it,here's a link from Dave Parry's page:
Mike Oldfield's Interview about Maestro @ BBC London 94.9 FM

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: April 06 2004, 12:18

I believe Mike is also talking to Clare English on the Arts Show on BBC Radio Scotland 92-95fm from 1805 today. (Saw it on the BBC Radio London website) Not sure if it will be an edited version of the earlier show. Hope this is useful. :O

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 06 2004, 12:37

Yup it's at http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/radioscotland/

Could be pre-recorded but I think its a different show from the radio London one.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 06 2004, 13:43

Did anybody hear it? It was quite short and he didn't say anything that wasn't said in the radio London interview.
Profile PM 

Posted: April 06 2004, 13:55

Nope nope...but then there's a chance to listen again soon(on the website).

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 06 2004, 16:53

Funny, I missed it although I'd have had the time and everything. Shows how much I really care about what he does these days I guess... I don't know what he said exactly (downloading it now), but I agree he absolutely should use the latest software, although like someone said it has to be used in a sensible way of course. Mike once had this ability, sadly he's lost a lot of it recently...
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 06 2004, 17:11

The part where he talks about directly plugging in to your brain is so funny, I think he scared the shit out of the host with that, just listen to her prolonged false laugh!  :D
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: April 07 2004, 10:31

Reading the message, I thought Mike was going to play the game in radio and somehow guide the other avatars around the world (or something like that) =)

Anyway, I downloaded the interviews and they were nice to listen to. Can't remember hearing him laugh so much before and he sounded very happy and enthusiastic. I hope the new album turns out well... is it his last one for Warner?

/ Johan
Profile PM 
dreamweaver Offline

Posted: April 07 2004, 12:45

I really enjoyed both interviews and agree Mike sounded so relaxed and comfortable.  I've posted before though about that BBC London interviewer... sheeesh moving swiftly on... Radio Scotland was a great interview, to paraphrase "oh...and what substances where going through your body to come up with the concept of Maestro?" a moment of radio class.

I must admit to hoping the online game we logged into yesterday afternoon was going to be a 'live' demonstration, Mike did appear briefly as ToshibaMike later in the afternoon and gave us a cryptic clue as to where to meet him...not sure if he was live at the Beeb then... but all in all a good afternoon's work....

--------------
I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
Some letter of that After-Life to spell:
And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
And answer'd "I Myself am Heaven and Hell:"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 07 2004, 13:33

I think that Mike planned on giving some kind of live demonstration, but it would have been very difficult to make good radio with it, and with the time constraints they had, I can quite see why they didn't let him go ahead with it. There would have been a very real danger of it being totally incomprehensible for the listeners, as playing the game is really a very visual thing - all that having the game there would provide would be a talking point (and some background sound/music). The talking point wasn't necessary and background noises would have been annoying, so I think the shows' producers made the right decision.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 07 2004, 17:03

He should try and get on TV with it. I'm not sure what sort of TV show but I'm sure 'good ol' Richard and Judy would have him on demontrating it. Get a documentery made.
Profile PM 

Posted: April 07 2004, 18:33

TV would be a nice medium to show off how Maestro works,much like that promo from Tr3s Lunas and the final part of Heaven and Earth.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
21 replies since April 03 2004, 01:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net