Topic: Interview in Guitarist Magazine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
David Bedford
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 01 2003, 19:10

Thanks for reminding me! :D
hayman
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 01 2003, 21:40

anyone with a picture of the thing should...um...post it, bc that'd be handy...right, keep the info comin', and i'll inform you of my progress progressively.

i WILL NOT FAIL in building a glorfinel.

after all, i like...really want one

my aim screenname is "bagpipeguitars" (heh how cool's that?) so if any of you oldfield hippie nerds want to instant message me on the subject, you're welcome to. thanks again! :p
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 02 2003, 05:26

Oooooh... I hope that wasn't the real David Bedford.

By the way, refering to us as "oldfield hippie nerds" might not be the way to get the people who are mostly likely in the know to get in touch.
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 02 2003, 05:47

I'm not sure how good the Glorifindel would be compared to the effects pedals that are around today. I would have thought Mike might have had a new one made recently if it was so good! I see the there are one or two effects pedals which have both compression and overdrive in one box. Try these

http://www.americanmusical.com/item.asp?UID=&item=TEC+COMPTORTION

http://www.visualsound.net/66page.html
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2003, 08:02

David Bedford is still alive, by the way, and (in 1998, the last time I heard about him) was chairman of the UK Performing Rights Society.

????? Of course I know David Bedford is still alive, Mat. I was referring to the one who build the glorfindel box. :D

He's 65 now I believe. I was reading an interview of him from last year lately.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2003, 08:54

I wanna see the articles!!!!!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2003, 15:10

I will transcribe the Guitarist interview if no-one else does it before me but I've got a lot on at the moment and I'm very slow at typing. I've yet to find the Hi-Fi Choice magazine, none of my local newsagents stock it.
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 02 2003, 20:06

I´m not angry ´cause the Glorifindel/David Bedford discussion here on the topic,but living on a place where nobody knows who Mike is or not having the chance to buy the mags here,I´m curious to read them,as well as other ppl here.

Hope you understand me.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2003, 05:34

I was wondering if Mike used the Glorifindel on his other albums after 'Hergest Ridge'? Mike did say in an interview that he tried out different effects units trying to get a similar sound to the glorifindel, but the Roland GP-8 gave him the nearest sound. I'm not sure if he feels the same about the later Roland gear he's been using since he stopped using the GP-8.
Profile PM 
Glorfindel Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2003, 06:22

Don't ask me!!    :p  :p
Profile PM 
hayman
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 03 2003, 16:52

in light of mat's suggestion, you will now all be called "oldfield guru peoples" instead of hipie nerds.

i think it would be interesting if mike himself actually got to see this conversation, as he could probably set things right.

he does read these every now and then, or so i am told.

of course, now that i post this, 100000 idiots will claim to be mike oldfield and point me in the wrong direction in building my glorfindel.

yes, by the way, any info you gurus have on the "stoned hippie" would be very, very nice.

thanks ya'll  :p
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2003, 05:11

and if you find the man who build it (the stoned hippy) I can imagine he can't (or have great difficulty) remaking a new one, because he was stoned or tripping all the time when he was building the thing...

Hey, that brings me on an idea... ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
marvindj Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2003, 06:25

Thanks to Duncan for the review. Only one correction. The "Irish Ditty" isn't Irish and has always been the Sailors Hornpipe. I think its an English tune and is ancient in origin, see this link if anyone's interested http://www.streetswing.com/histmain/z3hornpe.htm
Of course this isn't one bit important as long as we enjoy the music and hearing about our man Mike. Personally i think the original 1973 recording stands together with the other versions. My real thinking is that some Mike Oldfield is better than none at all.

--------------
I also like beer and i also like cheese !
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2003, 12:48

Has anybody here in the UK actualy seen the interview in the Hi Fi Choice magazine? I finaly tracked down November's issue and there is, as far as I can see, no mention of Mike. There's an interview with the Flaming Lips but thats it, maybe someone has got their wires crossed somewhere, either that or I'm blind.
Profile PM 
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 07 2003, 15:01

When you click on the link its merely a banner advert for the hi fi mag.Though Mike deserves to be in all Hi fi Mags at the present time with his Ommadawn 5.1 remix.

Posted: Oct. 07 2003, 18:09

Quote (TOBY @ Oct. 07 2003, 13:48)
Has anybody here in the UK actualy seen the interview in the Hi Fi Choice magazine? I finaly tracked down November's issue and there is, as far as I can see, no mention of Mike. There's an interview with the Flaming Lips but thats it, maybe someone has got their wires crossed somewhere, either that or I'm blind.

Toby:
It´s on the October issue of Hi Fi Choice...check the tubular.net front page...

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2005, 03:23

Quote (David Mar @ Sep. 25 2003, 09:16)
Also, his first PRS is missing - the one with the sweet switch

Did Mike Oldfield use thst guitar on "Tubular Bells 2003" or did he just use the semi acoustic PRS and the PRS with the MIDI Pickup?

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 15 2005, 07:49

Quote (Craig Evans @ Mar. 15 2005, 04:23)
Quote (David Mar @ Sep. 25 2003, 09:16)
Also, his first PRS is missing - the one with the sweet switch

Did Mike Oldfield use thst guitar on "Tubular Bells 2003" or did he just use the semi acoustic PRS and the PRS with the MIDI Pickup?

Both are used on TB 2003,and they are listed as PRS signature through that pickups from Roland.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Dec. 13 2009, 17:05

An interview with Mike from 2004 is featured on Guitarist presents 100 Guitar Heroes on sale here in England.

My fav quote is:

"It always confused me why I don't get looked on more as a guitar player."

Awesome to see Mike as a guitar hero \o/

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2009, 18:02

Since 2004 we have had....reissue of Tubular Bells 2009! Cant say its any different to 2003. Remixing it would not even require Mike to pick up his guitar! The process is done with computer software in a studio. It would be nice to hear new works rather than remixes that essentially are the same as the original, without promo bells and whistles! Deb
Profile PM 
47 replies since Sep. 23 2003, 15:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net