Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Interview in Guitarist Magazine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 23 2003, 15:05

There is a two page interview with Mike in the current issue of Guitarist magazine (November 2003, issue 242).

He talks about re-recording Tubular Bells, his reasons for not touring, and there is a small half-page feature on some of the guitars in Mike's collection.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 23 2003, 19:44

Okidoki,but where´s the interview on the site?
Not yet...so a transcription and maybe a scan of it would be great.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2003, 02:45

How did you get a copy of Nov 2003 Guitarist magazine Korgcrew?! The link has no mention of Mike online. :cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
geinoh
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 24 2003, 04:38

http://www.progressiveworld.net/mikeoldfield3.html

Reviewed by: Duncan N Glenday, September 2003

You are standing in line at the bookmaker’s office, hard-earned dollars clutched in your fist. It’s a two horse race and you’re sweating over the choice.
On the one hand we have a 19 year-old English prodigy. He creates a brilliant album in no time at all in 1973 using low cost, old fashioned techniques. He calls it Tubular Bells.
On the other hand we have an accomplished 50 year old musician living in the Spanish sunshine with a discography running into the dozens, and more platinum discs than he can count. He takes his time and creates a brilliant album in 2003, with the very best recording and mixing technologies. He calls it Tubular Bells 2003.
So – where does the smart money go?
Tubular Bells 2003 is not simply a remastered version of the original. It was re-recorded from scratch, so that Mike Oldfield could correct – in his own words – all the “…imperfections, notes out of tune, out of time, rushed playing, mistakes in performance, electronic noise etc…”. We understand that Oldfield’s contract with Virgin included a clause blocking the re-recording of Tubular Bells for 25 years after the original release. So now – 30 years after the original – he has finally managed to correct the earlier flaws.
All due credit to Mike for sticking to the script, as there is hardly any embellishment. It is almost note-perfect, and the two albums run within 20 seconds of each other. The new album is impeccably produced, and the playing – on every instrument – is nothing short of outstanding. Tubular Bells 2003 is sharper than the original, with each instrument sounding crisper and more vivid, with considerably more dynamics than the original.
And you know what? The 19 year old kid played with more heart, more raw emotion and anger and flair. Those imperfections Oldfield speaks of made it the album more human, and consequently more approachable. The new album just may be too perfect.
The real differences between the kid’s LP and the old man’s CD are in the mood and the overall ambience of the music. Technically, the albums are so similar that you really have to look at the details to find the variances:
The original album had Viv Stanshall doing the roll call of instruments. Sadly, Stanshall died in a house fire in March, 1995. On the 2003 album his place is taken by ex-Monty Python, actor, John Cleese. The first time I heard John Cleese’s distinctive voice on the album, I started smiling. It was a Pavlovian response – I was waiting for the punchline. Isn’t that what you always get when Cleese starts up? You half expect him to declare that the two slightly distorted guitars are “pining for the fjords”! There is no humor, of course, and frankly Cleese’s delivery is ridiculously overdone. He has a good voice and excellent diction, and Oldfield should have made him emulate Stanshall.
Remember the caveman bit on the second side of the LP? (Remember LPs?) That also gets a makeover, and the Piltdown Man now does a grunting duet with Piltdown Woman, played by the once golden voiced Sally Oldfield (Mike’s sister).
There’s another difference that may or may not be important, but I found it disappointing: The 19 year old had just 2 tracks on his album, named (very maturely) "Part I" and "Part II." The 50 year old gave each piece a name, and there are now 17 separate tracks with poorly chosen names, many of which have little bearing on their content.
Other more subtle differences: A more distinct bass guitar. A better “bagpipe guitar” sound. A softer feel to the whole of what used to be called "Part 2." Beautiful little touches added to many of the melodies, and subtle twists and variations in the instrumentation and the mix.
All in all, though, these differences are minor because the music is essentially the same, and still as compelling as ever. The distinctive voice Oldfield wrung out of his guitar (we understand the original was a Fender Telecaster) is still there. The catchy tunes, the Irish ditty now called a “Sailor’s Hornpipe”, the elegant mix of electric and acoustic guitars, and those Tubular bells ... all still there.
Tubular Bells 2003 is a must-buy for connoisseurs and ardent Oldfield fans. For the rest of us discerning listeners, you can’t go wrong with either album. But if you already own the original, you’d be hard-pressed to justify shelling out the full price for an album that you already own.
So who’d you pick? The 19 year old, or the 50 year old?
My money’s on the kid.
Rating: 4.5 / 5
Vinz Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2003, 06:31

Great review, but it's not the interview they're talking about !!
Nice try Geinoh :D

Sans rancune vieux :P

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Sep. 24 2003, 09:48

Quote (Guest @ Sep. 24 2003, 05:38)
On the other hand we have an accomplished 50 year old musician living in the Spanish sunshine with a discography running into the dozens, and more platinum discs than he can count. He takes his time and creates a brilliant album in 2003, with the very best recording and mixing technologies. He calls it Tubular Bells 2003.

Hum,LOL!
Spanish sunshine...ha ha ha! :laugh:  :laugh:
Boy,that´s very funny...he´s now living in England!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2003, 12:32

Very good review, cheers for transcribing it Geinoh. If only all the critics, especialy here in the UK, were that thoughtful and understanding towards the album.

As for the Guitars interview, I tried to look for the magazine today but it obviously hasn't reached north of the border yet (ie  Scotland). I'm sure some kind soul will transcribe it in due course.
Profile PM 
Melomaniac Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2003, 13:41

If you click on the Fender stratocaster button with the word "Mag" on it at the top of the Guitarist web, it takes you to three links, the one saying something like :What´s on the new issue? confirms there is an interview with Mike in the november issue, on sale on 23rd of September.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2003, 14:06

The Guitarist magazine is out,i read it yesterday,it's only 2 pages,so,i just stood in the shop and read it insteed of buying it,it wa interesting,nothing really new,as always!!!,but it was nice to see all of Mike's guitars,and hear him talk about each one.
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 24 2003, 23:27

Now we´ve got another interview,from Hi Fi Choice.
Wanna read as well as see it!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2003, 09:16

There lots of photos of Mike's guitars! It's a pity the photos are rather small - also, some guitars are missing! There's a photo of his Martin 12 string (I think), which isn't in the group of guitar photos - you can just about see it! It's in the one of Mike sitting in a chair, playing his red Strat! Also, his first PRS is missing - the one with the sweet switch, also his Manson and steel string Lowden and also his 2 other Les Paul Jnrs and his Knebworth guitar - although I'm not 100% sure which of these guitars he still owns.
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 25 2003, 12:26

Quote (David Mar @ Sep. 25 2003, 10:16)
There lots of photos of Mike's guitars! It's a pity the photos are rather small - also, some guitars are missing! There's a photo of his Martin 12 string (I think), which isn't in the group of guitar photos - you can just about see it! It's in the one of Mike sitting in a chair, playing his red Strat! Also, his first PRS is missing - the one with the sweet switch, also his Manson and steel string Lowden and also his 2 other Les Paul Jnrs and his Knebworth guitar - although I'm not 100% sure which of these guitars he still owns.

Seems very interesting to see and read what he told about them...as well as one info we all what to know...why he didn´t go on tour!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2003, 13:01

He basically says that TB was never meant to be performed live and so he doesn't feel the need to so now. The article is really very short, its a shame they didn't devote more space to him. There is a rather nice though dark photo of him in the studio, he doesn't look quite so old as he has done in recent pictures. He looks very much like an older version of the Discovery era Mike with his short hair.

Two observations I've made recently are 1) Its interesting that pretty much all the UK promotion for TB2003 seems to be happening now for the 5.1 release, do you think this was a deliberate strategy? And 2) Whilst its great that Mike is finaly getting this coverage, especialy towards MVR in that digital arts magazine, its a shame that he hasn't got a brilliant website to inspire all the potential new interest that he is going to get. MO.com needs an overhaul seriously badly, I wish he would hurry up and get it done before the Tube World comes out.
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2003, 06:05

I've just sent an e-mail to Ben Bartlett to ask if any guitars weren't included in the article because of lack of space!!
Profile PM 
hayman
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 30 2003, 17:15

like...i know this has nothing to do with any of the other posts...but um...i need to build a glorfindel box! therefore, all you oldfield hippie nerds must post everything you know on the little magical little box. please. :p
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2003, 18:07

There's only one 'hippie nerd' who knows whats in a Glorfindel box and his name is Mike......why don't you ask him?
Profile PM 
hayman
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 30 2003, 21:26

well...um...good mike's are hard to come by, well, at least the kind who can build glorfindels... :/
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2003, 06:04

Try finding the "stoned hippy" (that's his well known name) who build the glorfindel box and gave it to D. Bedford. ;)

(..if he's still alive that is)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 01 2003, 09:49

I'd think the only way of finding out what's inside it would be to actually get hold of the thing - certainly none of the people who owned or used it seem to really know what it was (Mike has always been very vague on the subject, David Bedford hasn't said much more and Tom Newman never said much more other than to give the impression that he didn't like the thing too much. Adding up what everyone has said, I reckon Mike used it as some kind of fuzz box, ending up in a really compressed signal, but whether that's all it did is anyone's guess (David Bedford's calling it the 'Glorfindel Sound Machine' might suggest that it did a little more than just that).

The best suggestion I could give, if you can't locate the original box, would be to contact someone like Pete Cornish or Roger Mayer (or if you're going the home-made approach, anyone who has enough time and knowledge to fiddle around modifying circuits to get the right sound), play them some recordings made with the glorfindel box and ask if they can build something which can recreate that sound, perhaps incorporating extra features which will increase the unit's usefulness to you.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 01 2003, 15:34

I think getting the Glorfindel box sound would be problematic - apparently it was basically some sort of compressor that didn't work more often than it did work (I read this in an interview somewhere - can't remember where). Mike switched over to the Roland GP-8 processor around the time of Amarok (although I think he also had a couple of EQ and compression channels from the original Manor desk as a signal processing unit) and this would be much easier to get hold of.

David Bedford is still alive, by the way, and (in 1998, the last time I heard about him) was chairman of the UK Performing Rights Society.
Profile PM 
47 replies since Sep. 23 2003, 15:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net