Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: International Bell Day at the O2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Big BellEnd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 26 2009, 17:52

Probably because he had nothing to do with Thriller apart from providing the Vocal.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: May 26 2009, 23:45

:p pardon the pun, but it does ring a bell on the 6th june between 2 to 6, get down there and have some fun! deb
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: May 27 2009, 06:36

I wonder whether this event is in addition to having "bells rung at famous landmarks" in London? Or have Universal now ditched this idea?

Don't suppose you have any updates for us Korgscrew?

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
gths Offline

Posted: May 27 2009, 09:03

Quote (TOBY @ May 26 2009, 08:31)
[quote=Sir Mustapha,May 26 2009, 07:12]
Its a shame they did such a half arsed effort remixing TB2 in 1992 but I guess they decided to try and do something less than predictable with it. It'll be cool to see what Alex Patterson does for this TB day in June, hopefully something interesting. This bell ringing workshop sounds more than just faintly surreal to be honest. Could they not have come up with something slightly more profound? Just as Mike's career is more than just about Tubular Bells so Tubular Bells is more than just about that instrument.

It's all marketing, innit?

Anyway, I actually tracked down a copy of Oldfield vs The Orb a while back. I was actually after FFWD - the thing the Orb did with Robert Fripp in '94 which has been deleted since forever - but the seller also had a copy of that in excellent edition so I figured I'd get that as well.

I'll agree that the mixes don't seem to do much but I actually quite like it. I remember an interview they did in Q shortly after and they said they used bits from all over the album (it was supposedly a remix of Sentinel) and threw in whatever. Anyway they hit #1 with UFOrb around the time TBII came out so there was probably some synergy there.

But yeah, Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld is definitely worth getting, (well, OK, if you like things like dub and such) as is UFOrb, they were both reissued as Deluxe Versions not too long ago and they're probably worth picking up.

After that it sort of became Alex Paterson's show with other people dropping in and out. Orbus Terrarum is... interesting. I really like it as there's a lot going on, perhaps too much because the mix gets distinctly squishy at times, it's one of those albums that gets divided opinions.

Orblivion is not bad too, "S.A.L.T." scares the stuffing out of me (though that's probably the long sample from "Naked" doing that). After that they seemed to get a bit samey.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 27 2009, 13:18

I'd actually really like someone like Alex Patterson or DJ Shadow (who has clearly listened to and been influenced by TB) to come along and do an interesting remix of TB but not use that famous opening piano riff which has been done to death. There's a lot of other really interesting parts in TB a talented DJ could sample, loop, add to and generally muck about with to do something thats both musically interesting yet not necessarily at all musically obvious. I'd love to hear what Alex Patterson comes up with for this TB event, hopefully someone can record it some way. Maybe it could even be recorded and released on itunes?

ps Out of the latter day Orb stuff Toxygene is probably my fav track. Check it out on Spotify or itunes. Very very bouncy with a good bell sound too funnily enough.
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: May 28 2009, 10:00

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 25 2009, 16:49)
To celebrate the re-release of Tubular Bells, Mercury Records is holding a special event on June 6th at the British Music Experience at the O2 in London.

The event will feature the 29 piece Handbell Ringers of Great Britain and an Orbular Bells DJ set by The Orb.

There will also be bell ringing workshops, competitions and more!

The event will be from 2 until 6pm and admission is the standard British Music Experience entry price (£15 for adults, £12 concessions, £40 for a family ticket).

Bell ringing workshops! Ha Ha!  I can imagine my 5 year old daughter railroading everyone to get a go first.  Do we have to book tickets in advance?   I have to say the prices still seem a little steep, especially for those who are on Income Support and Jobseekers and DLA etc
But I suppose there's plenty of reasons why the prices have to be so high.  

However, I got a ticket for the Brit Awards cheaper than these prices.

Is it okay to be a bit late for admission? London traffic is a nightmare!
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: May 28 2009, 10:39

Quote (Silver Negus @ May 28 2009, 10:00)
Quote (Korgscrew @ May 25 2009, 16:49)
To celebrate the re-release of Tubular Bells, Mercury Records is holding a special event on June 6th at the British Music Experience at the O2 in London.

The event will feature the 29 piece Handbell Ringers of Great Britain and an Orbular Bells DJ set by The Orb.

There will also be bell ringing workshops, competitions and more!

The event will be from 2 until 6pm and admission is the standard British Music Experience entry price (£15 for adults, £12 concessions, £40 for a family ticket).

Bell ringing workshops! Ha Ha!  I can imagine my 5 year old daughter railroading everyone to get a go first.  Do we have to book tickets in advance?   I have to say the prices still seem a little steep, especially for those who are on Income Support and Jobseekers and DLA etc
But I suppose there's plenty of reasons why the prices have to be so high.  

However, I got a ticket for the Brit Awards cheaper than these prices.

Is it okay to be a bit late for admission? London traffic is a nightmare!

Sorry to complain here but i've just bought tickets and Im not entitled to concessions for being on income support and my freind's not entitled to concession for his family getting Disability Living Allwance.  Sorry but that's not fair.
Profile PM 
guimabvue Offline

Posted: May 28 2009, 12:45

Well.. yesterday, i've gone to the George Pompidou Center to know if they've scheduled an event for the international bell day on june 6th (what writen on tubularbells2009.com).
Apparently, nobody have never told them about this happening... Does Mercury Music say phony news??! ..or may be that will freely happen outside the wall.?
please, if you know some more information, i would be really interested! :D

I'm afraid the "international" bell day it will only be the "londonian" bell day.. :/
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: May 28 2009, 13:09

If anyone needs to book tickets for the British Music Experience  (including 'bell ringing event' )at the 'O2 London' and would rather telephone to book you need to phone-

08705344444 instead as the event is not specified within the options on the telephone number that was given on the website.  

There is extra charge on each ticket.  So instead of £15 per ticket it is actually £16.75 per ticket.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: May 28 2009, 13:23

If anyone hears anything about the availabilty of a recording of the Orbular Bells set please let me know. I'd love to hear what the Proffessor does but I don't think I'll be going. I should think those Orb dudes would probably record it, let's see what happens.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: May 28 2009, 15:20

Is this some kind of joke? If the man him self can,t be bothered ,then i can,t raise any interest either :/
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 28 2009, 15:32

I know what you mean Hergest Fridge (great name btw). I need to go into London that weekend, so I will go take a look on Satuday 6th between 2-6pm.

I'll report back here.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 29 2009, 03:04

Quote (hairy old hippy @ May 28 2009, 18:23)
If anyone hears anything about the availabilty of a recording of the Orbular Bells set please let me know. I'd love to hear what the Proffessor does but I don't think I'll be going. I should think those Orb dudes would probably record it, let's see what happens.

Massive Attack did a similar kind of show last summer,where they did a live re-mix of Vangelis`s Blade Runner score with a 45 piece orchestra.The show was a big critical success from what I`ve read,and I know Massive Attack recorded both audio & video of the event.Unfortunatly they`ve yet to announce any plans of releasing it at any time,and I`ll be buggered if I can find a bootleg of it anywhere.I`m kinda` hoping The Orb/Mr Patterson will be a bit more forthcoming,or indeed quicker off the mark at any rate.
Profile PM 
Tim Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 29 2009, 05:26

We've just got the official press release for the event - it's been added to the first post in this thread.

--------------
tim@tubular.net
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: May 29 2009, 07:55

"The Hand-Bell Ringers of Great Britain Vs The Orb"

Lol! This sounds ridiculous quite frankly  :laugh:

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 29 2009, 11:26

Yeah - very ridiculous!  

That's why I'm going  :laugh:

It'll be like home from home...

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: May 29 2009, 18:03

I am so disappointed.

I probably got the wrong end of the stick ( wouldn't be the first time!! ) but I thought it was going to be a bit more about Tubular Bells... I was thinking of bells ringing throughout Europe...St Pauls Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, Notre dame, Milan, Barcelona, Cologne, you know, important, significant places ...not handbell ringers at the o2. I am sure it will be a wonderful event, and good luck to all concerned, but I don't think it appeals ( no pun intended ) to me  :)

:/

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: May 30 2009, 08:26

If Korgscrew or someone would confirm Mike will NOT make an appearance at the O2 I'd be happy ...so I won't need to worry I'm missing out on something essential !  :(  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Tim Offline

Posted: June 01 2009, 09:20

Quote (HuanCry @ May 30 2009, 13:26)
If Korgscrew or someone would confirm Mike will NOT make an appearance at the O2 I'd be happy ...

We're certainly not expecting him... whether he'll make a surprise appearance remains to be seen. It seems highly doubtful!

--------------
tim@tubular.net
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: June 01 2009, 18:46

Sounds like it is going to be a riot and I wish I were able to go--mainly to see friends and meet more tubular.net folks. Oh well....hopefully Hergest Ridge later on in the summer will work!

Instead, I will make some tubular.net cookies for the occasion, but will be at the airport retrieving my daughter's friend. We'll play TB in the car--maybe top down if the weather cooperates. Local time on 6-6 we will be at drum/dance circle. I will chime the zils at 6PM locally. :)

Cheers,

M-C

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
104 replies since May 25 2009, 16:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net