Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: International Bell Day at the O2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
3Wheeler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 07 2009, 05:22

Quote (larstangmark @ June 07 2009, 03:14)
I'm really looking forward to the day they re-issue the 80s albums. I bet there is extra material to throw for FMO and Discovery at least.

Now were Talking.. !!        Thats my Favourite Period.. Hopefully a few unreleased Vocal Songs will be uncovered..! :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 07 2009, 06:40

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 07 2009, 01:47)
releases (Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn should be in September

that would be perfect!  :cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tubular James Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 06:51

Hi
Does anybody know if there is going to be an ultimate edition released for each album, or if that was just for Tubular Bells, and if there was, would they be signed?
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 07 2009, 06:54

From what I understand the Ultimate Edition was just initially for Tubular Bells because it's the best-known and is likely to be the biggest seller, but if sales are amazingly great (and the signed Ultimate Editions did sell out very quickly which apparently surprised Mike) then who knows.
Profile PM 
Tubular James Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 07:06

Ah thanks for the info  :) Well here's hoping!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 07 2009, 10:51

Quote (Matt @ June 06 2009, 13:00)
International bell day, 6pm local time on the 6th day of the 6th month. And this is my 666th post. Ring those bells!

Wow--what a great opportunity for your 666th post! Well done! Would turn you Satanic for the occasion, but then as was discovered with the last guy made Satanic you'd not be able to post without various contortions (and coding). Oh well....there is always the future.... :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 16:10

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 07 2009, 00:47)
I thought it was a fun day, though I'd agree with Mat - it probably wasn't the kind of happening that would have been worth going too far out of your way for. The bellringers hadn't had very long to prepare their version of Tubular Bells, so I'd also agree that some of the other pieces were more successful. Some of the chimes had an amazing organ-like quality.

I should have been looking more carefully - I would have said hi if I'd spotted you Korgscrew.

The chimes made me wish that they'd carried on to the bit after the opening theme. And maybe the opening of side 2. I was mentally arranging that stuff in my head on the way home.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 16:59

I can't believe the event happened yesterday. For some reason, nothing tipped me off at all. And worse: TCM actually aired -- and I watched -- The Exorcist last night. I don't know if that was just a happy coincidence or not, but not even that reminded me of the Bell Day.

Great to discover, though, that I'm still head over heels in love with that film...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 17:09

There were a handful of people there - mainly familiies, it started around 3.45pm - so had to wait around a while - I didn't spot you either Korgscrew. The bellringers take on Tubular Bells was ok, they hadn't had a lot of practice you could tell. We walked into this room and stood facing them as they played, and then they played a couple more tunes from The Lion King - with more of a flourish. We were encouraged to have a go then, - with the small bells and the massive heavy ones - the bellringers were very friendly :)

Finished off with the lights turned low and purple, and The Orb man with his DJ set up, played some ambient very nice tunes around random bell sounds. People sat on the plastic floor for this with their families - around 30 or so people. Then everyone dispersed quite quickly - and that was it.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
zinc Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 17:44

Just saw the new ad on the break in sky news tonight for mike oldfield collection. Nice images and sound. Anyone else see it?
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 17:44

Well, I was in Brussels yesterday at the Atomium where there was supposed to be a bell ringing event too, and I did see.... nothing! :(

There was this big festival going on at the Atomium, so I was wondering how on earth they wanted to ring those bells with all that loud noise. At 6 pm I heard and saw nothing related to bells, so either I missed it or it didn't even happen. Maybe someone here did see something?

Fortunately, I didn't come all the way from Holland just for it. I was with my girlfriend and some friends and we did a day out in Brussels.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 18:25

:) And Brussels is not very far to Holland !

I couldn't be there in Paris for the event because of my work but a French fan has said to me by mail that there was also nothing in Paris , so i haven't lost anything ...
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 08 2009, 10:43

Hhhmmmm strange. It sounds like they were never there, or they are doing it indoors or something. Only London and Sydney have been covered so far.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Skeletor Offline

Posted: June 08 2009, 11:23

Photos from the London event are now on tubularbells2009.com.

Also, if anyone can think of anything to add to the Wikipedia page for Tubular Bells, please do. I've been trying to keep it up to date, but I may have missed somethings.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 08 2009, 17:35

The media wasn't that interested,I think the events worldwide were quite unsuccessful...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 09 2009, 02:00

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ June 07 2009, 17:44)
Well, I was in Brussels yesterday at the Atomium where there was supposed to be a bell ringing event too, and I did see.... nothing! :(

There was this big festival going on at the Atomium, so I was wondering how on earth they wanted to ring those bells with all that loud noise. At 6 pm I heard and saw nothing related to bells, so either I missed it or it didn't even happen. Maybe someone here did see something?

Fortunately, I didn't come all the way from Holland just for it. I was with my girlfriend and some friends and we did a day out in Brussels.

Reading this post and looking at the pictures at the tubularbells2009 website, the whole thing seems quite weird and random. People with huge bells plays music from the lion king? And the Orb were there...never mind that the bells these people play weren't tubular bells.
If they had downlplayed the whole "bell" angle they could propably had gathered hundreds of people on a proper Mike Oldfield fan convention instead, don't you think?

Edit: Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. I was meaning to quite Wiga's post.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 09 2009, 04:24

Quote (larstangmark @ June 09 2009, 02:00)
Reading this post and looking at the pictures at the tubularbells2009 website, the whole thing seems quite weird and random. People with huge bells plays music from the lion king? And the Orb were there...never mind that the bells these people play weren't tubular bells.
If they had downlplayed the whole "bell" angle they could propably had gathered hundreds of people on a proper Mike Oldfield fan convention instead, don't you think?

Edit: Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. I was meaning to quite Wiga's post.

Well the truth is, yes it was "weird and random," and a very small gathering with no promotional work going on of the new Tubular Bells releases - no posters, literature or CDs for sale.

It's kind of confirmed to me that gimmicky doesn't work. These people don't seem to get it and Mike included here, you can't fool people with some notion that your aim is to attract new fans - music lovers won't be patronised that way. The only way to attract large gatherings IMO is to release a new album like other well respected artists do. There are no short cuts - and compilations don't do it.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 09 2009, 04:35

Quote (wiga @ June 09 2009, 09:24)

The only way to attract large gatherings IMO is to release a new album like other well respected artists do. There are no short cuts - and compilations don't do it.

Completely agree.The only other option maybe is a tour I guess.But then to be perfectly honest a tour without an album of new music to go with it,still dissapoints me as well.Like it or not that`s my honest opinion.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: June 09 2009, 05:46

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ June 08 2009, 22:35)
The media wasn't that interested,I think the events worldwide were quite unsuccessful...

Yeah Tati, 'tis as I feared - a bit of a damp squib  :/

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: June 09 2009, 05:59

Quote (wiga @ June 09 2009, 09:24)
Quote (larstangmark @ June 09 2009, 02:00)

Well the truth is, yes it was "weird and random," and a very small gathering with no promotional work going on of the new Tubular Bells releases - no posters, literature or CDs for sale.

It's kind of confirmed to me that gimmicky doesn't work.

"Weird and random" indeed. Concentrating on the gimmicky image of 'the bells' - and then not even doing that correctly (hand bells aren't tubular bells are they?! ) - instead of the *music* and er, well, MO himself, wasn't particularly savvy of them. And more than that I just don't think it's worked.

One wonders what sort of silly gimmicks they're going to use to promote the other albums in MO's back catalogue?  :O

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
104 replies since May 25 2009, 16:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net