[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: International Bell Day at the O2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Silver Negus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 02 2009, 08:16

Quote (Inkanta @ June 01 2009, 18:46)
Sounds like it is going to be a riot and I wish I were able to go--mainly to see friends and meet more tubular.net folks. Oh well....hopefully Hergest Ridge later on in the summer will work!

Instead, I will make some tubular.net cookies for the occasion, but will be at the airport retrieving my daughter's friend. We'll play TB in the car--maybe top down if the weather cooperates. Local time on 6-6 we will be at drum/dance circle. I will chime the zils at 6PM locally. :)

Cheers,

M-C

Good for you girl!  Bet you keep all those cookies for yourself though.  My birthday's on the 23rd June can I have a big chocolate birthday cake... yum!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 02 2009, 17:33

I'm much more looking forward to the Hergest Ridge jubileum. Propably there will be some kind of international event involving model airplanes and irish wolfhounds.
And just imagine the Ommadawn jubileum when people will sit behind windows on a rainy day all over the world. Not to mention the international standing-on-beaches-with-the-wind-in-your-hair related events that follows with the Incantations jubilieum.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 02 2009, 17:57

Quote (Silver Negus @ June 02 2009, 08:16)
Good for you girl!  Bet you keep all those cookies for yourself though.  My birthday's on the 23rd June can I have a big chocolate birthday cake... yum!

Ooooh......could do a chocolate cake in the shape of a tubular bell! <-:

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 02 2009, 20:22

Quote (larstangmark @ June 02 2009, 17:33)
I'm much more looking forward to the Hergest Ridge jubileum. Propably there will be some kind of international event involving model airplanes and irish wolfhounds.
And just imagine the Ommadawn jubileum when people will sit behind windows on a rainy day all over the world. Not to mention the international standing-on-beaches-with-the-wind-in-your-hair related events that follows with the Incantations jubilieum.

Myself, I'm more interested on the playing-with-molten-metals of the Platinum reissue and the egg cracking of Heaven's Open. As for the shirtless "meditation" of Voyager, I'll pass.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: June 02 2009, 23:51

A hike on Hergest Ridge with paper airplanes would be kinda fun--and return to the Ridge on Horseback for Om. And dance there in the moonlight for Incantations (well, he once did say that a group of paganfolk helped him on the chant when he was stuck--and some of us pagan types LOVE to dance in the moonlight). Oh....I suppose we could go to the beach.....  maybe make tubular bell sandcastles while we're at it (one of the community folks had a great time with that--think I did more watching than helping <-:  ).  It was awesome!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 03 2009, 15:25

Quote (Inkanta @ June 02 2009, 18:57)
Quote (Silver Negus @ June 02 2009, 08:16)

Ooooh......could do a chocolate cake in the shape of a tubular bell! <-:

My birthday is next saturday and I'll ask mum to make a cake and then shape it like a Tubular Bell,ha ha  :laugh:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 03 2009, 16:23

Quote (Inkanta @ June 02 2009, 23:51)
A hike on Hergest Ridge with paper airplanes would be kinda fun--and return to the Ridge on Horseback for Om. And dance there in the moonlight for Incantations (well, he once did say that a group of paganfolk helped him on the chant when he was stuck--and some of us pagan types LOVE to dance in the moonlight). Oh....I suppose we could go to the beach.....  maybe make tubular bell sandcastles while we're at it (one of the community folks had a great time with that--think I did more watching than helping <-:  ).  It was awesome!

Now that's proper celebration!

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
BeeNBee Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 05:00

The Remastered edition has hit p2p networks for all of you wishing to prelisten before buying the original retail :)

P.S: Mike Oldfield's Single sound incredible!

--------------
" Michal Kochamy Cie! " - Katowice 1999
Profile PM 

Posted: June 05 2009, 13:28

International Bell Day on the news!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standar....icle.do

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 06 2009, 03:08

The event will feature the 29 piece Handbell Ringers of Great Britain ......

Low Key.. and uncool spring to mind..

:cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 

Posted: June 06 2009, 07:56

Thanks to Alex from oldfield.de,one pic of the International Bell Day in Sydney,Australia:

Edit - you can see here
http://p200server.us.es/mikeoldfield/fotos/7533.jpg

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 06 2009, 07:59

Seems you need to register Tati  :cool:
Profile PM 

Posted: June 06 2009, 09:30

Video from Sydney:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsEv0XVPU30

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Posted: June 06 2009, 13:00

International bell day, 6pm local time on the 6th day of the 6th month. And this is my 666th post. Ring those bells!  

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: June 06 2009, 13:04

Quote (Matt @ June 06 2009, 18:00)
International bell day, 6pm local time on the 6th day of the 6th month. And this is my 666th post. Ring those bells!  

:D  :D
Marvellous! Incidentally, how on earth did you manage to contrive that?! <Cues spooky 'Twilight Zone' music>  :p

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: June 06 2009, 13:28

Quote (Matt @ June 06 2009, 13:00)

if you planned that weeks in advance, that is kind of lame :)
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 06 2009, 17:44

I went. I was in London anyway, and I'm still annoyed at myself for missing out on the Edinburgh Castle show (in my defence I was 10 years old at the time and had never heard of Mike).

The event was okay but I'm glad I didn't come down from Scotland just for it. The British Music Experience as an exhibition was actually quite fun too.

The bell ringers played a vague arrangement of the opening of TB1, although their other material (which had been written for or at least adapted for the bells they were playing) were better. Funnily enough I think it's the first time I've heard the opening of TB1 actually played on a tubular bell.

Alex was good in an Orb way but it wasn't especially Oldfield-y and as far as I could tell he didn't use any MO material that wasn't already on the Orbular Bells remix of Sentinel.

I did hear that they had intended for Mike to appear in the form of a real-time video link up thing but they couldn't get the wifi happening (which is odd as O2 are a communications company). I did get some info about future releases though, which I've posted to the Amarok list but are probably off-topic for this thread. Suffice to say: good vibes from the guy from the record label. It seems he was a fan in the past and wants to be putting out the sort of extra material that he would have wanted.

I have some blurry photos on my phone which I may upload when I get back to my own computer, but there were people with proper cameras there so I'm hopeful that better photos may appear in due course.
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: June 06 2009, 18:17

geez don't tease people about upcomming releases and then say I have to sign up to a mailing list, which means I won't be able to read it, as you have already sent it.

Why not just abuse this thread and give us some info :)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 06 2009, 19:47

Two things above all, regarding new releases - the original mix of Hergest Ridge being released is a definite, and he'd like to do something special with the Exposed tour material (exactly what hasn't been worked out yet, but apparently every night was recorded, so...we'll talk about that one). There might be some extra material going up on the website too (Mike's apparently dug up an alternate version of Caveman), and of course they're going to delve a bit to get interesting things for the other CD releases (Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn should be in September, Incantations, Platinum and Exposed are scheduled for next year).

I thought it was a fun day, though I'd agree with Mat - it probably wasn't the kind of happening that would have been worth going too far out of your way for. The bellringers hadn't had very long to prepare their version of Tubular Bells, so I'd also agree that some of the other pieces were more successful. Some of the chimes had an amazing organ-like quality.
It was cool to talk with all the people who spotted the tubular.net badges Tim and I had on and came and said hello (and, in the case of Silver Negus, gave us creme eggs...brilliant! ).

We should have a few fun things coming up ourselves...keep watching!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 03:14

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 06 2009, 19:47)
Two things above all, regarding new releases - the original mix of Hergest Ridge being released is a definite, and he'd like to do something special with the Exposed tour material (exactly what hasn't been worked out yet, but apparently every night was recorded, so...we'll talk about that one). There might be some extra material going up on the website too (Mike's apparently dug up an alternate version of Caveman), and of course they're going to delve a bit to get interesting things for the other CD releases (Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn should be in September, Incantations, Platinum and Exposed are scheduled for next year).

I thought it was a fun day, though I'd agree with Mat - it probably wasn't the kind of happening that would have been worth going too far out of your way for. The bellringers hadn't had very long to prepare their version of Tubular Bells, so I'd also agree that some of the other pieces were more successful. Some of the chimes had an amazing organ-like quality.
It was cool to talk with all the people who spotted the tubular.net badges Tim and I had on and came and said hello (and, in the case of Silver Negus, gave us creme eggs...brilliant! ).

We should have a few fun things coming up ourselves...keep watching!

A very pleasantly surprisised that finally someone seems to be paying interesting in those records. I'm more than looking forward to this and I'm really looking forward to the day they re-issue the 80s albums. I bet there is extra material to throw for FMO and Discovery at least.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
104 replies since May 25 2009, 16:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net