[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: International Bell Day at the O2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Silver Negus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 09 2009, 07:00

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 06 2009, 19:47)
Two things above all, regarding new releases - the original mix of Hergest Ridge being released is a definite, and he'd like to do something special with the Exposed tour material (exactly what hasn't been worked out yet, but apparently every night was recorded, so...we'll talk about that one). There might be some extra material going up on the website too (Mike's apparently dug up an alternate version of Caveman), and of course they're going to delve a bit to get interesting things for the other CD releases (Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn should be in September, Incantations, Platinum and Exposed are scheduled for next year).

I thought it was a fun day, though I'd agree with Mat - it probably wasn't the kind of happening that would have been worth going too far out of your way for. The bellringers hadn't had very long to prepare their version of Tubular Bells, so I'd also agree that some of the other pieces were more successful. Some of the chimes had an amazing organ-like quality.
It was cool to talk with all the people who spotted the tubular.net badges Tim and I had on and came and said hello (and, in the case of Silver Negus, gave us creme eggs...brilliant! ).

We should have a few fun things coming up ourselves...keep watching!

It was nice to see you guys.  Creme eggs are cool and most like chocolate!  Liked the bell ringing and the workshops and little Anna loved it and was absolutley hyper at times, bless her.  

Wasn't too sure of the ambience type music, and It didn't engage my interest for too long, although no doubt he deffinately has a talent in putting sounds together.

I know they had the projector screen with the logo of the bell and it seemed like they wanted the lighting dimmed to compliment this, but to me the place was too dark and the T-shirts worn by the bellringers needed to be a lighter colour not balck. I felt that the atmosphere was too dark, and it didn't highlight the 're-awakening re-releasing of Tubular Bells.'  But the bell ringers were fantastic.

I asked the bellringers if they had ever developed a problem with their wrists or elbows what with ringing the bells, and they said that a few members had encountered some problems like this in the past.

I have some photos and will send the pics of you and tim on the stage!
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 09 2009, 08:51

Gallery section updated...

http://www.tubularbells2009.com/gallery.php

:)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 09 2009, 08:53

As the Event was staged at a Pretty Good venue like the O2 Arena.. Id of Thought Universal would of been able to at least Hire a Few Session Guitarists to Perform the Piece Properly With A Decent Light Show..

Id of Travelled for that ..  But a Iffy Bell ringing Session. Not really..    :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 08:05

Official video for International Bell Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4uInxJsPsY

Gosh,they played a bell in Rio de Janeiro(at least it's in Brazil - where Universal hasn't released neither L+S and MOTS,let's see if they'll release TB),as well as other different cities too...

Had a laugh with this thing here,they should have made a footage of it(or a pic):
"Mike Oldfield was in great praise of the day, and rang his own bell from his boat, moored off America."

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 14 2009, 03:09

I don't think you can ever generate the kind of excitement with a re-release or compilation that you can with a new release, the anticipation just isn't there.

But...does that mean that launch events for re-releases aren't worth bothering with? I know that bell day hasn't quite hit the mark for a lot of people, but is it something that anyone here thinks there's any point in pursuing if, for example, we can take a bit more control over the content? I see potential in things like bell day to be celebrations of what I think a lot of people here would agree are great albums...just I don't think that potential was quite realised this time around.

I think the idea of using it as an opportunity for fans to meet is a very good one. When we first got wind of the possibility of Tubular Bells related events, the same thought went through our collective tubular mind, but we would have wanted to have done something which worked alongside or as part of what the record company was planning, rather than conflicting with it, and we just couldn't get the details until it was too late to do anything. Then of course once the plans had been made public, we got such bad vibes about the whole thing that we decided that it wasn't the right time to try planning anything. But...opening this out a bit more...bearing in mind that Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn are on their way, is a more fan orientated event attached to that something which anyone here would actually be interested in, or is the truth of the matter that if Mike isn't appearing, people aren't interested? What kinds of things might people want to see?
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 03:52

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 14 2009, 03:09)
is the truth of the matter that if Mike isn't appearing, people aren't interested?

I thought that interview in the thunder storm was a belter. Some kind of link or 'connection' with Mike is preferable - it  gave me a boost when I saw it.

Keep it light and natural. I could visualise the next interview being conducted at the side of his swimming pool:-

You get a shot of Mike diving in - then he swims to the side, removes his goggles and says a few words, someone passes him a cocktail, he takes a sip then carries on talking - probably to that same guy he was talking to before (I sensed he liked him). Then he grabs the guys hand at the end of the interview, pulls him in, we zoom into their laughing faces - perfect!

Something like that ...

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: June 14 2009, 04:56

Korgscrew,

In my humble opinion this kind of re-release is close to meaningless in my book.
I don´t know what the record company expected, but it seems to me that they planned to get their green stack of shit in the bank higher with little effort.
They don´t care about Oldfield or Madonna, or Paul McCartney or any else artists...their concern is money - and lots of it - and I have no problem with this, it´s a business they run, not a charity.
Maybe they have expected - and I´m just guessing here - that if max 5.000 die hard fans buy the release and 50-100-200? new fans are lured into the net and start buying, then they earn some money and keeping the artists happy - a happy artist leads to a higher stack of green in the future.
And I´m pretty sure that MO have worked his ass of with these new mixes....he properly have 40.000+ mixes and overdubs of TB already, but made the effort to make new mixes and thats fine - it is his "baby" after all, but he can´t be happy in  the way this has been out folded, money-wise that is.
And why make such re-release that have been done to death without some decent media coverage following along?
Here in snotty little Denmark there have been no word, NOT A SINGLE WORD about this release, they should at least had offered some green shit on a advert....but silence.
MO is also to "blame"....this re-release should have been announced shortly before/after A TOUR or a new album hit the streets..does he expect to get older, richer and fatter in the Bahamas without lifting a guitar and play for the mob? - ain´t gonna happen..

So to finish off my rant here...if they keep to almost only announce it to the common mob of die hard fans and MO doesn't get of his ass and appear in the real world - their stack of green shit wont get that high - so why bother?

Sorry to sound a cold hearted cynical here, but the risk is that the fans will start dropping out. - I haven´t bought this (in my opinion) silly re-re-re-re-new mix release, I haven´t even bothered to download a illegal copy from the net...I just shrug my shoulders and are beginning to think...why..........bother..
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 14 2009, 06:56

I accept that all these re-releases aren't everyone's cup of tea...a lot of them wouldn't exactly be number one at the top of my wish list of Mike Oldfield releases I'd like to see either (though there's potential for the future - I'd love to get the quad mix of Exposed in a digital surround format, for example, so things like that might be nearer the top).

But...that's not something we can do anything about. EMI have given Mike the rights and dumped all their existing stock, and he sold them to Mercury...and now they've paid for them, I imagine they're going to carry on with the re-releases whether we like it or not.

What we can do something about is the things which come on the side (and perhaps have an influence on the content of the releases, but that's one for another topic really)...if we want an excuse to have a big meet up, I'd suggest that the fact that the re-release of Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn is going to come fairly close to the forum's 10th anniversary is as good a reason as any (coupled with the fact that we might be able to coax a bit of support for it out of the record company), but it'll be a lot of work. It would be a lot easier not to do it. I think it would be sad though - after the big meet up in Bilbao last year, I think a lot of us came away thinking that getting together more often would be a nice thing and we've been bouncing that idea around ever since. Maybe the days of there being a fan community are already past, though...
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 08:37

Book up Kington Village Hall,or Pub, Hold a Buffet , Invite a Jock to play a Few Mo Records with some Video .. And A Walk over Hergest would be enough to Satisfy most Folks and of Course play the New Remixed Album in some form or other..  :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: June 14 2009, 09:34

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 14 2009, 12:56)
I accept that all these re-releases aren't everyone's cup of tea...a lot of them wouldn't exactly be number one at the top of my wish list of Mike Oldfield releases I'd like to see either (though there's potential for the future - I'd love to get the quad mix of Exposed in a digital surround format, for example, so things like that might be nearer the top).

But...that's not something we can do anything about. EMI have given Mike the rights and dumped all their existing stock, and he sold them to Mercury...and now they've paid for them, I imagine they're going to carry on with the re-releases whether we like it or not.

What we can do something about is the things which come on the side (and perhaps have an influence on the content of the releases, but that's one for another topic really)...if we want an excuse to have a big meet up, I'd suggest that the fact that the re-release of Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn is going to come fairly close to the forum's 10th anniversary is as good a reason as any (coupled with the fact that we might be able to coax a bit of support for it out of the record company), but it'll be a lot of work. It would be a lot easier not to do it. I think it would be sad though - after the big meet up in Bilbao last year, I think a lot of us came away thinking that getting together more often would be a nice thing and we've been bouncing that idea around ever since. Maybe the days of there being a fan community are already past, though...

No, I don´t believe that.
I think that the more "strange" the world is turning, the more are the reasons to come together / belong to a "group" or a "cause". And MO certainly have dome much quality music to keep a fanbase but new "members" is becoming more and more rare - especially with a mute artist.

Maybe I haven´t been able to explain myself good enough...it´s not re-releases as such I rant about, it´s the laziness from record companys and artists.
You Korgscrew and the rest of Tubular Net have done more than your share of keeping and evoking an interest in MO´s music...but it seems futile... there a saying...you can lead a horse to the water, but you can´t force it to drink...  - meaning with this...WHY don´t "they" use some of the advises thrown at them, but keep being arrogant and lazy ...YES LAZY?? ..if there should be any meaning of this releases they should promote it better and MO certainly should be a little more public. - If they want to catch new fans in the net, they have to make potential fans AWARE of the artist and this release - otherwise it is just a hurried-up pile of "things" to make the 5.000 die hard fans in a good mood. 5.000 won´t get you nowhere.

As said earlier....not a dollar, not a cent spent promoting this in my country....no bell ringing (if left alone - people would barely noticed and go on) and no advert to follow it up. And it sure would be nice if I could tell somebody-anybody, that MO would have a upcoming tour and maybe visit Copenhagen or Stockholm or whatever in Scandinavia...but noooooo "they" want us to buy their re-release without them being bothered.

TB is MO´s  most well-known record....with the upcoming re-releases HR/Ommadawn..... how the hell to tell the world that they should buy these albums and new mixes when it´s only the die hard fanbase who gets the information??..

MO GET OUT OF your hibernation, Mercury STOP YOUR laziness and START promoting, otherwise there is no reason to re-release new mixes and old albums just with new logos. - The fans aren't stupid.
bee Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 09:50

Quote (3Wheeler @ June 14 2009, 08:37)
Book up Kington Village Hall,or Pub, Hold a Buffet , Invite a Jock to play a Few Mo Records with some Video .. And A Walk over Hergest would be enough to Satisfy most Folks and of Course play the New Remixed Album in some form or other..  :cool:

Brilliant idea, keep it simple, and back to the roots type thing. The Kington locality would benefit from visitors, Hergest Ridge is just beautiful and not that difficult to get to if you are in the UK. People from overseas could find it Ok I am sure & see a really unspoilt area that us natives should be very proud of!!!

I think the chances of Mike performing are slim, really, he's happy where he is physically and mentally too I feel...I think he'll always be making music somehow though, but to be out on the road touring?...I just can't see it, he has a young family now that he adores...and is loving peace and tranquility...we should leave him be and be very grateful for what he has already given us.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 

Posted: June 14 2009, 09:53

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ June 14 2009, 05:56)
Here in snotty little Denmark there have been no word, NOT A SINGLE WORD about this release, they should at least had offered some green shit on a advert....but silence.

If you complain about the subject in Denmark,what about being a Mike Oldfield fan in Brazil,where nobody here knows who he is...and when somebody knows him,they say he's new age,which bothers me a lot.Tried for years to establish contact with other brazilian MO fans,but it didn't work it out well,since most of them are not like you here,they're not into MO like we here.I had to travel to Europe to see Mike live in 2006...

Ok,the official International Bell Day footage included Rio de Janeiro...I'm sure they've chosen it because it's such a beautiful place only,since Universal hasn't released any of MO's albums on the label(L+S and MOTS) here.That makes me laugh.

I was expecting something big for this International Bell Day,but there were a lot of mistakes -the wi-fi connection wasn't working at the O2 so they couldn't talk to Mike through a webcam!

How to promote Mike Oldfield nowadays with the re-release subject,what a complicated case really!

I do support a fan meeting,I've met a few MO fans when I was in Europe to see Mike @ NNOTP and all the meetings were a fantastic experience for me!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 13:30

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ June 14 2009, 14:34)
MO GET OUT OF your hibernation, Mercury STOP YOUR laziness and START promoting, otherwise there is no reason to re-release new mixes and old albums just with new logos. - The fans aren't stupid.

I don't really agree with that, to be honest. You can't blame Universal for wanting to rerelease MO's back catalogue now that they have the rights to it. And it would seem the ideal opportunity to do new mixes and/or add bonus material when they do so. You don't have to buy them - but some fans certainly will.

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ June 14 2009, 14:34)
TB is MO´s  most well-known record....with the upcoming re-releases HR/Ommadawn..... how the hell to tell the world that they should buy these albums and new mixes when it´s only the die hard fanbase who gets the information??..

But I think you do have a good point here.  I wonder how many people outside of the fanbase were aware of the 'International Bell Day' or even of the number of different versions of the TB re-releases? Not many I'd imagine.

Trying to reach the non-fan, mainstream public with less 'iconic' rereleases like HR, Ommadawn or indeed any of the others is not going to be easy if they can't even create a massive splash with something as recognizable as TB.
Low key marketing aimed strictly at the die-hards is pretty much all I'm expecting for any of the upcoming albums... :/

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 14:33

Profile PM 

Posted: June 14 2009, 14:46

Great pictures btw!

I wish I had the chance to play a real set of TBs one day.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 14:49

Tati heres hoping you will, I think you will if you persevere.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 14 2009, 17:08

Lovely set of piccies Silver! Thanks.

Looks like the people who did go along had a good time. And you got to play with bells :D

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 14 2009, 22:35

Wonderful pics, Silver Negus! Thanks for sharing!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 06:33

Great pictures Silver! Hope your wife and daughter had a great day! I see your wife with Richard (Korgscrew) on the first picture. :) Who's that on the right?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 10:54

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ June 15 2009, 06:33)
Great pictures Silver! Hope your wife and daughter had a great day! I see your wife with Richard (Korgscrew) on the first picture. :) Who's that on the right?

Bless your heart I'm a female and the one standing next to Korg. I haven't got round to having a wife yet ;-)  Glad you like the pics.  The person on the right is Tim, an administrator on tube.net.
Profile PM 
104 replies since May 25 2009, 16:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net