Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (40) < ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations reissue available for pre-order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pat Gleeson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 11 2011, 05:55

Quote (captain cavern @ Oct. 11 2011, 02:38)
Take the original mix included on Boxed CD, you can hear the same click.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but the version of HR wasn't the original, but the 1976 remixed for quad version, since known as the 'Boxed' version. Mike then directed Virgin to use the stereo downmix of the Boxed version in all subsequent vinyl, tape and CD repressings and reissues.
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2011, 10:04

Right. (Sorry, it was a big mess in my mind...)

But, anyway, the click is on both versions, so the click was on the really first master.
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2011, 07:52

I agree. I can't hear anything on Wrekorder Wrondo that indicates this is from vinyl and Mike's counting in is not present on ANY vinyl version. Plenty of clicks appear on recordings here and there that have nothing to do with vinyl.
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2011, 12:49

Yes. Some other examples on MO masters :

Jungle Gardenia : click at 0:04.
Etude : scratch sound at 0:07.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2011, 17:18

@ captain cavern and all others who replied: thanks a lot for all of your notes and comments. This just goes to show how wrong I can be, and how little do I understand about vinyl clicks. :) I've never (and I underline never) perceived the noises at the start of WW as a count-in; they have always sounded like vinyl clicks to me. Also, I have always thought that there should be no audible clicks on master tapes - I thought that they were by-products of the transfer of master tapes to other media, e.g. vinyl. Again, this just goes to show how little I know about the whole matter.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2011, 20:06

spotted somekind ultra rare version from limited edition in ebay

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2011, 03:13

Nice. But as a fan, if i would have this ultra rarity in my hands, i would never sell this off...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2011, 08:02

@ equinoxe: maybe being a fan is not what's at stake here. Maybe the guy is a fan, but it may also be that he's in need of money...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2011, 06:10

4 months later, I have just received today my ultra rare signed cover, as the first one went missing in the post... not for sale!! Now waiting for the vinyl...

Profile PM 
Tubak Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2011, 07:35

I have a lithograph of "Incantations" un-numbered and signed by Mike Oldfield (It's like that you can see in Nacho's picture above).

I change it by the signed lithographs of Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn of the last year. I do this because I have also the numbered edition. Only change the lithographs, I have the CD's and the vinyls. Last year my autographs were "lost", I think is a good change, because change a lithograph of just 20 copies, with two lithographs with 250 copies each. If anyone is interested, send me an email.

To avoid misunderstandings, I DON'T SELL, I ONLY CHANGE.
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2011, 19:31

Does anyone else have the unnumbered edition as shown in Nacho's picture? I thought me & my sister had the only 4 (3 now one was sold on ebay), but it appears at least 2 more are in circulation. It would be good to get an exact number of how many there are. I emailed Universal but had no reply

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2011, 13:21

I've finally carefully listened to this 2011 Remaster, and here's my biggest disappointments :

The 2011 "remaster". Incantations has always sounded bright and clear on its previous incarnations - perhaps a little too bright on some systems. No danger of that on this release though. There is definitely a dampening filter put across the recording. It tones down the brightness of the sound - cymbals and glockenspiels are more muted and there is sense of a blanket being placed over the speakers. Some people may well prefer this. I do not.

Absolutely right. Big Shame. :/

The little wobble in the beginning bit of Part 2 has finally gone however horror of horrors it has been replaced by the most unforgivable of sins - a glitch jump in Part 4 around 12:37 just at the start of the wonderful marimba section.

Right. Big shame. They fixed it, but it's still not ok. :(

And there's a new wobble on the new mix Diana at 0'16 ! :laugh:

The (obvious) irregular changes in pitch in the short version of Guilty (I'm not talking about the slower speed but about the pitch changes WITHIN the track itself) seem to me typical of an old reel tape which is in bad shape and has not been restored. It would have even been better to transfer from vinyl in this case, because frankly the transfer is atrocious.

Absolutely right ! Mega shame, and totally unprofessional. :(
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2011, 03:50

Quote (Tubak @ Nov. 01 2011, 07:35)
I have a lithograph of "Incantations" un-numbered and signed by Mike Oldfield (It's like that you can see in Nacho's picture above).

I change it by the signed lithographs of Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn of the last year. I do this because I have also the numbered edition. Only change the lithographs, I have the CD's and the vinyls. Last year my autographs were "lost", I think is a good change, because change a lithograph of just 20 copies, with two lithographs with 250 copies each. If anyone is interested, send me an email.

imo you asking too much because those hr & ommadawn basically become worthless if not having those framed signed pictures anymore with them.

if someone has received only those unnumbered incantations inserts and have extra copy available but also wants one numbered too, we may discuss about my extra copy of numbered one in exchange to unnumbered.

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
Tubak Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2011, 08:39

Quote (Hifiguru @ Nov. 04 2011, 03:50)
Quote (Tubak @ Nov. 01 2011, 07:35)

imo you asking too much because those hr & ommadawn basically become worthless if not having those framed signed pictures anymore with them.

if someone has received only those unnumbered incantations inserts and have extra copy available but also wants one numbered too, we may discuss about my extra copy of numbered one in exchange to unnumbered.

I do not think so, because people received more than one copy, and people who demanded their money and then they got the signatures, meaning that they came "free".

My case is different, because I NEVER claimed the money, Universal, without asking permission or saying anything, gave me back the money without giving me the opportunity to get those issues.[B][U]
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2011, 16:44

Tonight both versions I have of "The cuckoo song" played back to back.  The one off "The complete" is bright and breezy and in the key of A.  The one off this edition sounds  like it is being dragged through a hedge and is a semitone lower because it is slower and wobbly.  Awful.  I've deleted this new one off my overall playlist.  So much for progress.  I don't get it.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2011, 13:22

I'm happy you tubular kiddos are still having fun with Incantations. The mix was very dry to me when I bought it in 1978 even though back then I didn't know how FX devices worked or what wet/dry meant. 1981, I met a guy who had a recording studio and he ran the album thru fx(reverb and eq) for me to cassette, I was happy. Since, I always thought my Caroline CD was the best version....pristine. My interest in collecting vinyl on ebay and elsewhere has come to an end as I replaced so many lost albums and procured so many others I never had. My music interests are pretty narrow, not what you would call eclectic. 1965 to the recent past, rock or prog or fusion, and only recently releases from guys so old(Gilmour, Hackett,Gabriel) that most would have agreed their retirement is overdue(Moody blues?). I started playing a game on facebook called Vinyl City, a game not played by many anymore, but fun. I'm at level 10 out of 14 so far. No Mike Oldfield yet in this collection game. I'd make Incantations that one hard-to-get ultra rare album needed to finish the set. Anyway, I was thinking my Incantations double  LP should be digitalized. I'm gonna go do that and let you know how it turned out. Good night toobs. BTW, whatever happened to Silver Negus? Never see her post anymore. Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2011, 13:52

Gosh, golly, gee whiz.....my journey is already blessed. I found the album toot sweet, the poster I trashed in the '80s. I had it pinned to a wall for years then trashed it when I moved, used up and wrinkled/soiled presumably. A red vinyl 7 inch(can you toobs convert cm to inches? I can. 2.54cm=1 inch) "promo" disc came rolling out of the cover. Julie Covington "Only Women Bleed". I did kind of remember that being in the package as a promo dealy/thingy. Cool. Red vinyl and dated 1977(Virgin records). This is fun already......

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2011, 06:14

Just ordered a pink vinyl copy of Some Girls by the Rolling Stones from Universal.
Got a message saying , sorry to tell you but  your copy has been pressed on PURPLE vinyl and not pink , if you would like to send back your RARE purple colour vinyl we will send you a new one from the next pressing . There was only 500 being pressed so thats another Universal balls up !
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2011, 14:49

Quote (captainjjb @ Nov. 14 2011, 16:44)
Tonight both versions I have of "The cuckoo song" played back to back.  The one off "The complete" is bright and breezy and in the key of A.  The one off this edition sounds  like it is being dragged through a hedge and is a semitone lower because it is slower and wobbly.  Awful.  I've deleted this new one off my overall playlist.  So much for progress.  I don't get it.

Absolutely.  :/  Another shame on this 2011 remaster.

But, if you compare Cuckoo Song on The Complete, then on The Platinum Collection, then on this 2011 remaster, the more brighter version is this last 2011 version.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2020, 12:38

Quote (TOBY @ July 25 2011, 16:47)
Quote (Thomas Höög @ July 25 2011, 15:00)
The album is not available in Sweden according to Spotify :(

Its at the artist and record label's discretion how quickly a new album appears on Spotify. Some record labels allow new albums on quickly but most let a few months to lapse before putting anything on.

Almost ten years now, and it's still not on spotify!

I just realized that I haven't heard all the bonus tracks.
The diana-remixes are nice, but they didn't need the 2011 overdubs (the drum tracks and the speech synthesis is obviously added for this remix).

I don't even want to hear Hiawatha with auto-tune. WHO in the their right mind thinks a vocal track like that needs auto-tuning?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
781 replies since June 01 2011, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (40) < ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net