Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations Part IV introduction< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
pauken Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 18 2022, 11:29

Your excerpts sound almost exactly like the original recordings ...By casually listening without being told it wasnt a remake, I wouldnt personally automatically know the difference.  Are you SURE it is a remake?

Certain yes! It turns out that if you play the same notes and rhythms on the same sorts of instruments at the same tempos and record it properly, then it does come out sounding very similar :)

There are other parts I'm working on that have come out more different as I've changed some of the instrumentation and made tweaks. Experiments that may stick or may not in the end.

It started off as a lockdown experiment and now it's become a bit more serious. I'm in not attempting to better the original (not sure that can be done) but trying to give an alternative interpretation of it in my own way and with the help of others. Much like there are multiple interpretations (hundreds in some cases) of the western classical repertoire. That's how I'm thinking about it anyway :)
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 18 2022, 18:12

Quote (pauken @ June 18 2022, 11:29)
Your excerpts sound almost exactly like the original recordings ...By casually listening without being told it wasnt a remake, I wouldnt personally automatically know the difference.  Are you SURE it is a remake?

Certain yes! It turns out that if you play the same notes and rhythms on the same sorts of instruments at the same tempos and record it properly, then it does come out sounding very similar :)

There are other parts I'm working on that have come out more different as I've changed some of the instrumentation and made tweaks. Experiments that may stick or may not in the end.

It started off as a lockdown experiment and now it's become a bit more serious. I'm in not attempting to better the original (not sure that can be done) but trying to give an alternative interpretation of it in my own way and with the help of others. Much like there are multiple interpretations (hundreds in some cases) of the western classical repertoire. That's how I'm thinking about it anyway :)

Have you ever heard of the band Sky (John Williams, Herbie Flowers, etc)?  Anyone who admires Oldfield will appreciate them. They are for me after Oldfield probably the greatest instrumental/progressive composers of all time, possibly even shading Jean-Michel Jarre.  I would be thrilled if someone covered their works!  For example, check out Son of Hotta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys9ajWh8ha8

The Great Balloon Race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTOW_JfIBpA

Telex from Peru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Y5knThyQQ

Carillion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXs-hmzRuU

And many others.  The albums Cadmium and The Great Balloon Race contain their most brilliant music but all their albums and singles are absolutely essential.  It's a shame that so many people have covered Mike Oldfield over and over and over, and Jarre and Vangelis, but I dont know one of single person who has covered Sky.
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: June 18 2022, 18:43

Have you ever heard of the band Sky (John Williams, Herbie Flowers, etc)?

I do know Sky! I know all of their albums very well, you've got very similar favourites to me. Love Great Balloon Race and Telex from Peru, great! I've met Tristan Fry a few times, he's still playing in various amateur and professional orchestras in London and I've ended up playing percussion with him once or twice :)

It's a shame that so many people have covered Mike Oldfield over and over and over, and Jarre and Vangelis, but I dont know one of single person who has covered Sky.

Well it's not a bad idea. But they don't make it easy, some of it's pretty devilishly difficult to play, John Williams is like THE best classical guitarist of the 20th century and he's on nearly all of it...
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 18 2022, 19:17

Quote (pauken @ June 18 2022, 18:43)
Have you ever heard of the band Sky (John Williams, Herbie Flowers, etc)?

I do know Sky! I know all of their albums very well, you've got very similar favourites to me. Love Great Balloon Race and Telex from Peru, great! I've met Tristan Fry a few times, he's still playing in various amateur and professional orchestras in London and I've ended up playing percussion with him once or twice :)

It's a shame that so many people have covered Mike Oldfield over and over and over, and Jarre and Vangelis, but I dont know one of single person who has covered Sky.

Well it's not a bad idea. But they don't make it easy, some of it's pretty devilishly difficult to play, John Williams is like THE best classical guitarist of the 20th century and he's on nearly all of it...

Wow, you know Tristan Fry and have played alongside him!  That's brilliant - well done!  I have heard that he is still playing to this day, and Herbie Flowers at least until very recently was doing a monthly gig on a Sunday afternoon I believe it was in Brighton.  Although he is over 80 years old now and probably just about ready to retire.

I agree much of their music is exceedingly complicated but then, so is Mike Oldfield's.  I don't play any instruments myself (I am a vocalist) but if I had a million dollars I would buy an orchestra or band and pay them to learn the Sky albums and tour them around the world.  In fact, I would have them learn the best of Sky, Oldfield, Jarre and Vangelis and present this music all together into a magnificent show.  

Alas, I don't have the means!  :(
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: June 19 2022, 19:30

Quote (pauken @ June 18 2022, 11:29)

Glad to see that you're continuing on this amazing journey! All of your interpretations are different from the original. Some changes are obvious whereas others are very subtle and can probably be best appreciated by Incantations aficionados--i.e. weirdos like me who know all four movements by heart and can hum them back at the drop of a hat!  :p
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: June 19 2022, 21:25

Quote (pauken @ June 18 2022, 18:43)
I've met Tristan Fry a few times, he's still playing in various amateur and professional orchestras in London and I've ended up playing percussion with him once or twice :)

Gulp! Colour me even more impressed. :)

I'm a big fan of Meheco myself, I think he played the start of it on the vibraphone with a violin bow when I saw them in 1987.
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: June 20 2022, 06:38

Quote (qcfoetus @ June 20 2022, 00:30)
i.e. weirdos like me who know all four movements by heart and can hum them back at the drop of a hat!

You're not a true Incantations aficionado until you can hum all four movements backwards and at double speed...

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
26 replies since June 10 2021, 08:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net