Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations live..., Was the whole thing played??< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
LivingForever Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 20 2003, 05:55

Hi all -

Just a quick question - we all know a lot of editing went into making the tracks on 'Exposed', putting them together from many concerts.

I was reading in a book about this tour this weekend, and it seemed to me from some of Mike's and journalists' comments, that the whole of Incantations might have been played.

So are there any 'unofficial' live recordings from these shows that reveal whether they really did play Incantations as it appears on 'Exposed', or if this is a result of studio editing?

Certainly, at the end of 'Parts 1&2', the Hiawatha part fades out, so there is something missing there...

James

--------------
http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk
Profile PM 
LivingForever Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2003, 08:26

Just to answer my own question, it seems from talking to somebody who has a copy of the Wembley Conference Centre show that Incantations and TB were both played exactly as they appear on Exposed.

I doubt that's 100% correct as they couldn't have faded themselves out at the end of Incantations 2, but until I manage to prize a copy out of him it's the best info I have!

Oh, and 'Guilty' was played twice, for some reason!

James

--------------
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2004, 06:10

I kind of wish it was played fully, at least Parts 3 and 4. I just got exposed, and they totally cut out two of my three favourite bits: the mega guitar solo after the fanfare on Part 3 and the rocky one that leads into Ode to Cynthia. Those would be great live! Why cut them out? I'm really annoyed at that.  ;)  Just joking, but there are a lot of other bits that he could have cut out.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2004, 14:12

I got Barcelona 79 and the one mentioned by LivingForever (can I ask if this nickname has something to do with Genesis? :) ). Acording with the tourography on this web those are one of the first and one of the last concerts of the tour, so we can also see some variations were made along the tour. Let me say that there's an official but very rare record with the Wembley Conference Centre concert which was broadcasted by the BBC. The record is one of the BBC transcriptions of their own programs. From this record have been made some bootleg copies on CD with names such as BBC Exposed or The Real Exposed. For further information visit Take 4 or/and Rainer Münz's discography.

Well, let's star the comparison. As you al know the last section on Incantations (part 1) is a (let's call it) reprise of the first section. This 'reprise' was also played at this 2 concerts of Barcelona and London but it doesn't appears at Exposed, so probably it was removed. At Barcelona's concert, the full Incantations (part 3) was played, but at the London's show the second section wasn't played, this section also doesn't appear at Exposed. About the second Guilty, this is not played at the Barcelona concert (or at least it is not included on the boot, but for me it seems this boot includes all the show) so probably was included later on the tour to satisfy the audience asking for more songs. This is not so strange in Mike's shows, in the 1980 tour he played Punkadiddle twice (may I recommend you that you get a copy of the 2nd one on the Preston 80 concert if you have the chance?) and at the Then & Now tour FATC was also played twice. Returning to Exposed, the second Guilty wasn't included.

As a curiosity, let me tell you that at the Barcelona and Paris boots (the second one only includes the second half of the show with TB and Guilty), the part of TB previous at The Sailor's Hornpipe (called Ambient Guitars in TB2003) was played as it is on the record but at the London concert a similar version as the one on Exposed was played.

IMHO Exposed was made mostly with recordings of the late tour and only the last section of Incantations (part 1) and the second version of Guilty were removed. The end section of Incantations (part 1) maybe was removed to help the track fit better in the first side of the vinyl record and Guilty not to be so repetitive.  :cool:
Profile PM 
LivingForever Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2005, 07:01

Thanks Spinne!

Only took me a year to read your reply!

I'm still curious though, as to why they faded out Incantations pt.2 on Exposed - surely this doesn't happen on your boot versions?

Looking forward to seeing whether the cut parts from the Wembley Show have been reinstated on the DVD!

James

--------------
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2005, 17:01

Quote (LivingForever @ Oct. 28 2005, 14:01)
I'm still curious though, as to why they faded out Incantations pt.2 on Exposed - surely this doesn't happen on your boot versions?

(As I might have mentioned elsewhere,) vinyl albums had lenght limitations due to technical issues. Theoretically one side of a 12" 33 rpm vinyl record could include 30 minutes of music, possibly even more. However, as you get closer to the center of the LP, the sound quality (and volume) starts to detoriate. In general 20 minutes was considered the maximum lenght for one side of a recording of rock music. Long-clocking sides of an LP such as on Exposed (Incantations 1 & 2 26.31 minutes and TB Part 1 a whopping 28.42 minutes!;) were quite unusual.

So in all propability the people who produced and mixed the album decided it would be better to fade out the end of Incantations part 2, rather than include it in poor sound quality.
Profile PM WEB 
Incantations2085 Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2008, 10:43

maybe some people that were there could tell us what was like...

--------------
Reaching through the dark, do you have to go??
Profile PM 
6 replies since Oct. 20 2003, 05:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net