Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 29 2010, 08:41

This is another album that I'd love to see what Mike can do for the re-release...it's one of my favorite albums and a full pack for the deluxe edition would be fine to see!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 08:45

Quote (spark @ June 29 2010, 06:21)
Dazzler ,

Pipe Tune was a demo for Incantations .

You cant just put it into part 2 .

Its a b side and should just be an extra .

When it came out we all new somthing special was on its way and with the sound of the sequencers at the end of Pipe Tune , it was the start of things to come .

I only meant that some musical background themes
from Pipetune fit into the musical themes of Incantations Part 2.

I didn't mean to mix Pipetune into Incantations Part 2.

Fact is there are a lot of bonustracks of that era.

William Tell Ouverture and Vivaldi in C weren't used on the previous deluxe editions.
Pipetune is a must. Cuckoo Song is still there.

Wrekorder Wrondo was never released on CD
but could be included on Platinum as well I believe.

If Mike considers a remix ... the box should count 4 discs.
But maybe remixing the older work was only an option for the first three albums.
Maybe Incantations will only be a remastered and expanded edition.
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 08:55

I'm looking forward to this - the master has always suffered from a high pitched whine - which you kinda filter out after a while but you notice it right from the word go...

Its a record with huge dynamic range which should sound amazing remixed with todays software...

and lets not forget the album was supposedly conceived as a surround album tho it never got released or mastered as one so the obligatory 5.1 mix should be quite something.

quite how demo's or singles will be dealt with is anyones guess. Ideally it should be a standalone disc with Pipe Tune, Cuckoo Song, William Tell, Wrekorder Wrondo, Make Way & other Reflections music, Incantations Part 4 edit, Guilty etc
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 09:18

Quote (spark @ June 29 2010, 08:31)
Singles galore on QE2 which was patchy even with Phill Collins on drums

You spelled "especially" wrong there in that sentence.

:p

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 09:20

Quote (Cudsie @ June 29 2010, 08:55)
the master has always suffered from a high pitched whine - which you kinda filter out after a while but you notice it right from the word go...

I've never noticed it.  Are you sure that's not your tinnitus?   ;)

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 09:21

Ideally it should be a standalone disc with Pipe Tune, Cuckoo Song, William Tell, Wrekorder Wrondo, Make Way & other Reflections music, Incantations Part 4 edit, Guilty etc

The Path too - that's from the same era, or slightly earlier, right?

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 09:23

Jules ,

The Path was from the Crisis sessions . :zzz:
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 09:37

Nobody on here has mentioned the rare mix of Hiawatha that was on the earlier pressings ?
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 10:14

Quote (spark @ June 30 2010, 09:23)
Jules ,

The Path was from the Crisis sessions . :zzz:

Are you absolutely sure about that?  Because I heard it was a 1976 recording and came from the Reflection movie soundtrack.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 30 2010, 10:25

Quote (familyjules @ June 29 2010, 09:20)
the master has always suffered from a high pitched whine - which you kinda filter out after a while but you notice it right from the word go...

I've never noticed it.  Are you sure that's not your tinnitus?   ;)

Korgscrew started a thread about that a few years ago; the noise is there, in fact, though I only noticed it AFTER I read the comments.

I really do hope they get rid of that noise in the reissue; it would be unforgivable to let that pass unnoticed.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 10:43

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ June 30 2010, 10:25)
I really do hope they get rid of that noise in the reissue; it would be unforgivable to let that pass unnoticed.

TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE i couldn't agree moreEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 16:40

Quote (spark @ June 29 2010, 08:31)
Ghostmojo, Are you off your head or what! Mix Incantations down to 40 mins!! This is one of Mikes most experimentle peices. Very Phillip Glass influenced but magical in places and very diverse. Each side tells its own story which comes together on side 4. When this came out it was a true change of direction. We were used to one main side of Ideas which built up to a grand final"e at the end , with side 2 ( as Mike has said) a more looser feel for experiment with the main theme in mind. How the hell can you dismiss this huge peice of work, when he was just discovering himself and opening up to us. Platinum and Guilty were the disco versions of Incantations. If you watch The Essential Mike Oldfield video or laser disc you can see Mike talking about how he came to write some of the music of incantations. After Platinum i think it was all down hill. Singles galore on QE2 which was patchy even with Phill Collins on drums. And everyone on here rates Amorok as a great album? Sorry its a few tunes stuck together with his Wild guitar sound breaking in here and there (thats why Mike needs a producer to reign him in ) and the Maggie Thatcher at end was pure crap and dates the record badly. I think most people in the UK gave up on Mike after Guilty. Most of his records sales after that (except Crisis ) were from the rest of europe.

Hey Sparky I guess I must be mad yes indeedy!!! :D

A suggestion mon amigo - not an order - and not to the exclusion of the original remaining intact and in place as it should be...

I don't dismiss it - in fact I discuss it on one of the other I threads at length.

But I still maintain it would be an interesting thing to do - to reduce it to its essence :cool: to remove the unnecessary repetition and consolidate it to a form and level akin with its three illustrious forebears...

Oh and by the way I hate Guilty ... it was embarrassing crap

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: July 01 2010, 06:05

Yes I agree, Guilty wasnt to good .

A pure money making hit and Platinum wasnt great either , punkadidle was a long filler . :)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 01 2010, 07:23

i would like to see some release of this version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrdpwLSNLYU

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
spark Offline

Posted: July 02 2010, 06:05

Thats a nice little film.

Gonna listen to part 4 right now !!!!
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 02 2010, 10:02

Quote (spark @ July 02 2010, 06:05)
Thats a nice little film.

Gonna listen to part 4 right now !!!!

After you've done that, you can answer my question about The Path (see above).   :)

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 02 2010, 12:22

I have the Elements Box and that says The Path was produced in 1979 but then if it appeared in Reflections it must be earlier.It's certainly NOT from the Crisis sessions as Spark suggested.Funnily enough i first heard it as the B-side to the orginal Shine single.Odd choice for a peice at least 6 years old.Obviously couldn't come up with B-side as good as Legends! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 03 2010, 14:14

Quote (The Caveman @ July 02 2010, 12:22)
Funnily enough i first heard it as the B-side to the orginal Shine single.Odd choice for a peice at least 6 years old.Obviously couldn't come up with B-side as good as Legends! :laugh:

Let's face it, compared to Shine, The Path is a masterpiece.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: July 07 2010, 08:43

Jules ,

I was sure it was from then but you know Mikes B sides can get confusing , somtimes we must guess when he recorded things .

Sorry if its wrong , wasnt it on the 3" cd of the long version of Moonlight Shadow ?
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: July 07 2010, 09:04

The 3" CD of Moonlight Shadow also contained Rite Of Man,To France and Jungle Gardenia:

UK:   CDT 7          silver CD, black printing (Made in Austria on CD)
D:    880 985        silver CD, black printing
JAP:  32VD-1111

I have also heard of a double single that contained Shine, Pictures In The Dark, The Path and Legend made by an unknown english record company. Never saw this one.

And yes, The Path has been recorded in or before 1976 for exactly the same version was used for Reflection.

;)

Edited by manintherain on July 07 2010, 09:05
Profile PM 
87 replies since June 23 2009, 17:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net