[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations cover< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Priabonia Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 04 2013, 13:20

...well, just side four, now up at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIdMnGqY4Uo

To this day I am not quite sure why I did this, it started off with the end marimba section which I was thinking of using for a remix...I then started playing with the opening harp piece, which I got quite close to. I then thought, hey, how about the vibes...found a great vibe patch for my sampler...then I had no excuses not to fill in the middle bits. The bit I am most disappointed by was the "vibes reprise" (on the original the fast Roland "flute" sound bit) - I just couldn't get the guitar backing right here (all suggestions welcome).

When I have recovered I will start working on the remix (ambient? techno? Who knows? I will see where the music takes me)

N
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 04 2013, 23:09

Did you actually play any of this by hand? Or is it all just play-back from a notation software (sounds like it).

Ryan's score for "Incantations" is available at his website.
Profile PM WEB 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: July 05 2013, 03:29

..then you have cloth ears!

Youtube predictably has mangled the audio quality (I will put a better version on Soundcloud later) but the guitars and bass are real. If you can tell me where I can find software that would perform the Ode to Cynthia vocals I'll be first in the queue.

I didn't use Ryan's score, it was all my own "scoring".
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 08 2013, 00:19

I know, I suggested Ryan's score to help with the parts you had trouble figuring out/got wrong :p

You did well with the parts you did record, the bass sounded especially good. With music notation software like Sibelius it is easy to pass off computer-generated playing as the real thing, that's why I thought at least most of your version was playback.
Profile PM WEB 
Xavi Martinez Offline

Posted: July 08 2013, 09:45

Hey very nice cover, very well recorded !!! The vibes and marimba patches are more than convincing  !!

Who did the vocals ? Not having good female vocals is the only reason why I haven't started a full Amarok cover like I did with Crises or Platinum...

Again, very well done sir !!! not too many REALLY good covers I hear in youtube, yours is for sure one of the good ones !!
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: July 08 2013, 15:45

Gus: having an accurate score is only half (or less) the battle...the hard bit is getting the notes to sound right! It took me about 5 minutes (for example) to map out the basic vibes section, but several days to get the nuances of the sounds right.

On that point, I'd be amazed if Ryan's score really captured every note - for example, on Side Four, what does he do with the "counterpoint" vibes (OK, it's not really counterpoint, but you know what I mean)...also what does he do with the sporadic "ghost" notes which come in mid way through the "vibes reprise" section? If he's got all these then it might be worth £30 for interest.

Xavi: gracias por tus comentarios geniales! Yes, I was most pleased with the vibes and the marimba section. The vocals were done by a friend of mine who is a session singer. She's classically trained, so couldn't help the odd bit of vibrato, whereas Maddy Prior's original is quite raw.

On that note, marimba remix now up at:

https://soundcloud.com/priabonia/ode-to-cynthia-remix
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 09 2013, 03:07

Quote (Priabonia @ July 08 2013, 15:45)
1. On that point, I'd be amazed if Ryan's score really captured every note -
2. for example, on Side Four, what does he do with the "counterpoint" vibes (OK, it's not really counterpoint, but you know what I mean)...
3. also what does he do with the sporadic "ghost" notes which come in mid way through the "vibes reprise" section?

1. I would say he captured every note with 95% accuracy.

2. He wrote out both parts.

3. He wrote them in.
Profile PM WEB 
seventeen64 Offline

Posted: July 25 2013, 19:13

I really enjoyed the lead guitar after the vibes section... I like the way you haven't been afraid to use all the gain you can  :)

--------------
life is not one-dimensional
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: July 29 2013, 07:11

Thanks - not sure whether you mean the treble gain (to get close to Mike's sound I had to add monster amounts of treble before the amp, then a fair bit afterwards!;)...or maybe you meant the level of the guitar - to which my reply is, I am a guitarist, other instruments, what other instruments?!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
seventeen64 Offline

Posted: July 29 2013, 11:56

Aha yes the level - well played for sure!  :)

--------------
life is not one-dimensional
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 30 2013, 11:11

Quote (Priabonia @ July 29 2013, 11:11)
to get close to Mike's sound I had to add monster amounts of treble before the amp, then a fair bit afterwards!

Perhaps I can let you in on a few secrets there!

The main factor in getting that cutting, screaming kind of sound is the attack - get a good, sharp transient on the beginning of the note and you'll get something which comes across as brighter, because you're really bringing out the higher harmonics of the sound at that point (our brains make particular use of the beginning of a sound to work out what it is - a fact used in the design of the Roland D50, where they mated sampled attacks with synthesised waveforms for the sustain portion of the notes, the theory being that the sampled attack would help the sound be perceived as more realistic). You can make quite a huge difference in the whole character of sound you get out of a guitar by changing how you pick it, and it's all stuff which you'll struggle to achieve with EQ (because it's working in the frequency domain rather than the time domain...and I think it's always a super-useful thing to get your head around which of the two it is you're dealing with when you're approaching a problem, it can save no end of frustration).

If you're playing with your fingernails like Mike does, I'd suggest trying something like the classical guitar 'rest stroke', where you're bringing the picking finger across the string and bringing it to rest on the one below. I think it's important to make sure you're picking in a direction that's as parallel to the string as possible - that might sound really obvious, but I find it's worth really consciously thinking about these things and checking (just looking down and making sure really helps, but doing it in front of a mirror can sometimes reveal further things). Anything that's going to impede the string at that moment is going to soften off the sound - if you pick more with the pad of the finger than the fingernail, for example, you'll get more of a Mark Knopfler chunky kind of sound (though he'll sometimes pick with enough force that there's a bit of a slap off the frets, giving a different kind of brightness to the attack).

If you're using a pick, I'd suggest trying a pointy one rather than one with a rounded tip (I'm personally a fan of these, which give a nice amount of control over the sound), so you're again getting a nice precise unimpeded attack. I think again, it really needs to be brought down as parallel to the string as possible, though it's definitely worth experimenting with angles of attack, as you get get a nice jazzy plumminess, or indeed a bit of a metal-style chug on power chords, by holding it at a slight angle so the tip rubs across the string a bit more.

Mike using really light strings (sometimes as light as 8s) on a Gibson really would have contributed as well, that'll have helped him get that (often quite heavy) side to side vibrato going without needing a arthritis-inducing amount of effort! I'm sitting with a Fender-scale guitar strung with 12s as I write this, and it's certainly not for the faint hearted...I find it needs more downward pressure than an up and down type of vibrato (and also a bit of a squeeze to make sure that initial attack doesn't get softened). The other thing that's key is making sure that downward pressure is coming from the arm rather than the thumb - as soon as you start clinging onto the neck for dear life, any type of vibrato gets really difficult and is in danger of losing its fluidity.

It's worth trying all this on an unamplified guitar (either electric or acoustic, really) - if it doesn't sound like Mike before you plug it in, you'll really struggle to make it sound like him when it is.

Once you've done all that, it shouldn't actually need too much electronic shaping afterwards, though I'd tend to generally pull out some of the stuff around 300Hz and below, and would often have a high pass filter in there somewhere (depending on the exact register I'm playing in...but especially with higher parts, there's often a fair amount of low-end thuddiness that you can just chuck away), so the mix doesn't get too muddied up with all that stuff. Obviously if you're starting from scratch and just going for a hefty slice of raw cooking transistors like Mike often used to do, it'll need more work (like some taming of high-end fizz, and something to give it a bit of a ~1-2kHz peak), but an amp/amp simulator should take care of some of that (especially if you're working with a speaker or speaker simulator).

Well, anyway, just some things for you to have a go with there, and I hope it comes across as being some things you might enjoy experimenting with rather than that I think your cover (or playing) is bad! I enjoyed it, there's clearly a lot of work gone into that...must have been fun!
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2013, 12:33

Korgscrew - thanks for the tips, I was very much following if not the 80:20 rule at least the 90:10 rule, and as I'd left all the guitar parts till last I was not going to spend another month trying to get *exactly* the right tone. Luckily I do play with nails and relatively light strings (9 on the high E) so I guess by chance I started off more or less in the right place. I think I got close enough, OK it was never going to fool anyone into thinking it was Mike but equally I think it was "recognisable"

N

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 05 2013, 14:54

Quote (Priabonia @ Aug. 05 2013, 16:33)
I think I got close enough, OK it was never going to fool anyone into thinking it was Mike but equally I think it was "recognisable"

Yeah, it's cool! I think it's also nice to bring something of yourself to these things, to learn from listening to your favourite players then take it off in your own direction. I think when you can bring something of yourself into a cover version and make it work, that's when things become really interesting...I suppose, in a way, the same as how followers of the Arts and Crafts movement wanted their creations to bear traces of how they were made - in this case, the music bearing traces of the person who made it.

So yeah, fun stuff, it's also nice how the vocals at the end step out of Maddy Prior territory and take it somewhere slightly different without it being a shocking change.

Generally, don't mind me, I just have lots of stuff in my head that I've discovered and jump on any opportunity to let it out of there and share it :D
Profile PM 
12 replies since July 04 2013, 13:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net