Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations CD vs LP< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Navaira Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 09 2005, 08:12

On the other hand, I originally had Incantations as an illegally downloaded mp3 containing the full original (with part 3 edited) CD version and so I couldn't skip bits I liked a bit less to listen to bits I loved. With the remastered CD I now own it's, of course, more handy... and when I'm really really happy and excited about something, I play the vinyl as a "reward" to myself.

But we've been here before :)

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 23:15

Quote (Sysiyo @ July 27 2005, 15:08)
On a related note, apparently up until the early 90's there was an EU legislation in effect according to which a music CD could include only a maximum of 60 minutes of material, hence the editing of the original CD issue (this probably also explains the very precise 60-min running time of Amarok).

This mortal coil's second album, released in the late 80's, is over 70 minutes long.
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2006, 08:45

Quote (Daftyboy @ Sep. 08 2005, 21:39)
I'm in the process of replacing all my vinyl copies with HDCD CD versions.

Heh

I'm doing just the opposite :)
I've recently bought the Great Four of the Eighties - QE2, 5 Miles 0ut, Crises, and Discovery... Still thinking about buying Tubular Bells, and possibly Ommadawn and Incantations.

amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
DCDayDreamer Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 20:48

Luckily, my recent purchase of Incantations as a second hand CD was the full version, however, I really do miss the sound of my old vinyl version. You've probably heard it all a thousand times before but the younger audience of Mike's music really have missed out on the 'true' sound of his early releases if they haven't had and listened to the original vinyl versions.

Does anyone remember the old C90 tapes of yesteryear?, I spent many an hour travelling to and fro on the UK Motorways listening to Mike's Incantations, simple, but nice times! :).

Nostalgia - you could say it's in my blood!. :p
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 20:57

Quote (DCDayDreamer @ Feb. 23 2006, 20:48)
Does anyone remember the old C90 tapes of yesteryear?, I spent many an hour travelling to and fro on the UK Motorways listening to Mike's Incantations, simple, but nice times! :).

Nostalgia - you could say it's in my blood!. :p

Most of my zillions of listenings to "Incantations" were done on a C90 tape.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
zepboy Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2006, 02:31

I think early European CD's were limited to 74 minutes.  US and later CD's squeezed on upto 80 minutes of music. I am always disappointed to find edited favourite albums - tracks left off or shortened - because the record company wanted a single CD for a reissue.  This was especially the case in the early days of CD, with the shorter running time.  Imagine chopping off 3 or 4 tracks off The White Album or The Wall.  It's the same mentality as using poor quality masters and shoddy repackaging.
Profile PM 
kaztor Offline

Posted: June 21 2006, 17:30

Quote (familyjules @ June 16 2005, 07:42)
Quote (amazarak @ June 16 2005, 07:36)
I've already bought the HDCD remastered edition (2000). So this is the trimmed one?

Nope, you got the full works there!

:)

Jules

Awesome!

I just got it today by mail (bought it online) and thought all cd versions were trimmed after hearing the rumours.
I love this cd so I'm very glad to read this!
Profile PM 
kaztor Offline

Posted: June 21 2006, 17:38

Quote (familyjules @ July 28 2005, 05:35)
[quote=Sysiyo,July 27 2005, 15:08]
Having said that all early CDs sounded like a piece of crap!

I wanna sacrifice some vital body parts to defend my conclusion that in some cases the original cd's were better than remasters.

Listen to the late 80's EMI version of Frank Zappa's Sheik Yerbouti and compare it to the Rykodisc piece of crap from 1995 and you know what I mean. Same goes for virtually all Floyd cd's and Jimi Hendrix's 'family' reissues as opposed to his early 90's USA-only Reprise remasters. The Reprise ones reinstated a warmth only heard on vinyl while his family tried to turn his back catalogue into Lenny Kravitz albums, going for that nice, charming, cold sound....
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: June 21 2006, 17:39

I've got the 1985 first time around version of Incantation's on a Dutch production CD and I must say I think it's the dog's knacker's, as clear as one could hope for it's the Bollock's.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 23 2006, 10:19

Quote (Sysiyo @ July 29 2005, 12:07)
I don't know what they were precisely, but David Eddings (yes, I know, lame) mentions in one of his books that he wanted the Belgariad to be a trilogy, but then the individual parts would have exceeded the page-limit, and it had to be published in five volumes instead.

I think this had more to do with Del Rey's (the publisher) policies, rather than any regulations!

The 5 books of the Belgariad are each 300 or so pages in length. Stephen King's "IT", from another paperback publisher, from around the same publishing time, was 1104 pages long: all in a single paperback.  Doing the math, Edding's publisher Del Rey could have easily fit all of "The Belgariad" into 3 books, each much shorter than "IT".  It looks like it was based on what the publisher wanted to do, rather than any law.

Nothing lame about David Eddings.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2007, 02:52

I still have the LP and Cassette versions of Incantations purchased in 1978/9.

I played the cassette to death because of its obvious mobility over the lpm, but I was never really impressed with the sound quality and always used my LP (and a pair of headphones) for those quality moments.

In the late 90s I bought the CD version to replace my completely worn tape. Even though the quality of the cd layer is very good, especially compared to tape I still found it to be brittle & harsh on my ears.

I still listen to my CD for those moments where I just want some good background music to listen to; but my 1979 lp version is still going strong and the quality is still on a mucher higher level than CD could ever hope to reach  - imho
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 06:55

For those of you interested in the CD specification side of things...

Again, my usual disclaimers, this is information gathered from various sources and due to the fact that I am human, it may be completely wrong. But anyway...

Apparently, when the CD was first being developed, it was more a question of "how much length shall we have?" as apposed to how much will the technology allow. The group designing the CD were Sony and Phillips, both major players at the time, and they went on to create The Red Book Standard which defines the CD and its TOC very accurately.

When sitting around the table it was originally suggested that the CD be 60 minutes long. Then, a Sony representative decided that the format should be able to cope with a full lengh version of Bach's 9th Symphony, played at realistic speeds. This was accepted and the initial standard was for 74 minutes.

Its interesting to note how many albums never quite reach that limit; Incantations being a case in point, i think it just about fits on an extended CD (80 minutes) with all 4 parts intact. The Red Book standard was deftly ignored and avoided by the first lobby of copy protection mechanisms (I refer you case in point to Tubular Bells 2003) and had previously been tampered with, whilst still within the bounds of the technology, to have dual format discs (where data is either the first or last track and the remaining tracks are normal CD audio)

That's as accurate as I can remember, so please don't quote me as being textbook unless you consider me a professor or something  :D .

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2008, 20:00

Quote (Daftyboy @ Sep. 08 2005, 15:39)
I'm in the process of replacing all my vinyl copies with HDCD CD versions.
What I'm finding great at the moment is being able to listen to the whole double album without having to move!
I'd always subconsciously split this album into 4 sides and tended to 'pick a side.'
Listening to the whole 72(ish) minutes in one go this morning was a whole new experience. Fantastic!
Adrian

I find this whole length of the music thing very interesting.  You have to wonder if composers, Mike included, wrote for the length of the LP side (hence all the 20 minute or so instrumentals).  Nowadays there is pressure to "fill the CD" no matter how good or bad the music.

I wonder if TB would be in 2 parts or one continuous whole if CDs were around back then, and what other compositions Mike might have written at the time if he had 80 continuous minutes to play with.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2008, 02:58

When I bought Incantations on CD around 1998, it was identical to the LP's in length and in every way. It was on a label I never heard of.....Caroline Blue Plate or something similar.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Dave in Ledbury Offline

Posted: April 23 2008, 18:48

I remember buying the original CD version and being gutted that they'd edited out the first part of side 3 - one of the most exhilarating and exciting parts.  I couldn't understand, if they'd had to edit it, why they didn't remove the Hiawatha section, the most boring bit of MO music ever......

--------------
"Dave, I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over...."
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 24 2008, 08:52

Quote (Dave in Ledbury @ April 23 2008, 18:48)
I remember buying the original CD version and being gutted that they'd edited out the first part of side 3 - one of the most exhilarating and exciting parts.  I couldn't understand, if they'd had to edit it, why they didn't remove the Hiawatha section, the most boring bit of MO music ever......

I love these - worst bit of MO ever things.

One of my favourite bits of Incantations that is  ;)
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 25 2008, 04:47

Quote (trcanberra @ April 24 2008, 08:52)
Quote (Dave in Ledbury @ April 23 2008, 18:48)

I love these - worst bit of MO ever things.

One of my favourite bits of Incantations that is  ;)

Yes it`s one of my favourite sections also.That long and multi layered build up to it never fails to get me all excited in anticipation of it.Although to Dave I have read a number of comments on this board of people saying they`re not too fond of it.(goes on too long etc) So I dare say you`re probably not alone there.

I`ve very recently just got around to finally buying a full length version of the cd having had to put up with the abridged version since the early 90`s.It`s an unbelievable feeling being able to hear that start of part three again after such a long time without it now.If Virgin had a problem with running times in the early days,then they should`ve made it a two disc set imo.Nothing short of a bloody rip-off in fact.

Is it just me though but I`ve long wondered that it feels like there`s a few bars missing from the end of side three?For some reason I always expect that whole riff section to go around one more time somehow.It`s so long since I`ve heard the vinyl version now it`s likely that I`m possibly just imagining this ?It`s moreover more likely in fact that I just don`t want that thing to end really.As I could quite easily listen to Mike riffing away at the end there all day long.  :cool:
Profile PM 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2008, 19:54

The remaster contains the full album, not the first gen. cd, There's only two versions made.

The remaster is the one to have!

The bit taken away is the first minutes on part three (one can hear the music edited and faded in), wich by the way is some of the best of his entire work.
Profile PM 
37 replies since June 15 2005, 15:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net