Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: In the Pool< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Man In Rain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 04 2001, 04:09

If somebody who had never heard Mike's music asked me to recommend a track of about 3-4 minutes and I want the person to be an Oldfield fan, I would certainly say 'In the Pool'.

Maybe not the best but in my opinion it's the most characteristic short instrumental of him.

What do you think?

I have also read that In the Pool had some unreleased versions with lyrics, one with Barry Palmer, the other with Maggie Reilly. Does anybody know what the lyrics were?

Note: I posted this here because ITP was released on the B-side of To France, but it might be moved to Elements.
Profile PM 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2001, 11:32

cmon, what do you think about it? at least say 'good' or 'huh?'
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 11 2001, 20:24

It's a really catchy tune actually. when i first heard it, I was sure I'd heard it somewhere before - I don't know if I really had though, because I really don't know where it would have been that I'd heard it.

Anyway, yeah, a nice little instrumental. There's a sort of simple style to it...in a way it shares that with some of his more recent work, like the pieces on Guitars. Another nice simple one that I quite like is Waldberg (the peak).
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 11 2001, 11:15

Yeah, Man...

I listened to it for the first time a very short time ago... it´s nice!! so simple but catchy, nice and with a very much friendly mood... I like also Simon´s drums... simple but strong... and the sounds of the different guitars are cool...

I agree with you... my brothers don´t like specially that... but they´re crazy about 'In The Pool'!!!

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2002, 15:00

Are 'Afghan' and 'In The Pool' discards from 'Discovery'.

In that case, f**k off RB.

Delfín>>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
akane Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2002, 20:33

in the pool is one of my favorite tune
and, for ppl who don't know mike, this is a good tune to show, lot of ppl like it, this one is not so complex, and can be heard by anyone, without feeling lost

--------------
Blue Haired Akané
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 31 2002, 10:26

Afgahn is pretty good too - I think it was on the b-side to Tricks Of The Light.

I always felt that it was a bit soundtrack-sih... and there is a resemblance to Erin Shore (I know it from the Corrs first album, but I'm not sure if it's traditional or not). Of course, the Corrs weren't around until the early 1990s.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2002, 12:56

i just did that..told my friend to listen in the pool..didn't hate that..

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2002, 02:09

In The Pool is an amazing piece, so relaxing and mesmeric. The question it, why are none of these short instrumentals on the album? Pieces like Afghan, Song of the Boat Men, Silent Night, Legend, Jungle Gardenia and Waldberg (The Peak) are some of his greatest achievements, and they're just B-sides on singles. It's probably the record company's fault.   :(

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
YR-TGM
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 13 2003, 12:37

I heard that there was a version with lyrics of In The Pool, but it was never released.

Can these lyrics be found somewhere?

Thanks!
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2003, 23:29

Sorry, don't think that the lyrics have been leaked (I think it was Barry Palmer singing the vocal version, but Mike felt the vocals just didn't fit and kept it an instrumental).

Anyway, In The Pool is my favourite track from the Discovery sessions. I love the water sound, its very 'refreshing' :p  and the drums are satisfyingly thumping and the guitar playing is excellent. More than made up for the oddness of Bones!

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2003, 09:55

I love 'in the pool' too, it has a nice melody & is a good one to recommend, I know a few who are not Oldfield fans who like this tune though.
I have not heard anything about what the lyrics may have been. It would be interesting to know.

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2003, 14:02

Just lovely.I love it.
Simple and with charisma.
That´s In The Pool.

Just guessing:
maybe the song has some kinda of relation to Mike´s foundness for water(swimming)...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2003, 19:05

I love it, too. All its tunes are marvellous!

However, I feel the last minute is strange without tunes (only the arpeggio) - as if it was a demo version that wasn't finished. It might be because the vocals were removed from here, I don't know. Even so it's a masterpiece.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2005, 13:23

I love all of the songs with simple names! 'cuckoo song' 'portsmouth' 'pipe tune' all are great names for singles and I also love the music!  :D

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2007, 01:57

I've just heard "In the Pool" and OHMYGAWDILOVEIT!!! (Yes, I feel that three exclamation marks are entirely appropriate here)

!!!

Now, where do "Indian Lake" and "Jungle Gardenia" fit in? Were they from the same time period?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2007, 09:33

Quote (EeToN @ Oct. 30 2003, 19:05)
I love it, too. All its tunes are marvellous!

However, I feel the last minute is strange without tunes (only the arpeggio) - as if it was a demo version that wasn't finished. It might be because the vocals were removed from here, I don't know. Even so it's a masterpiece.

I love the last minute of this track. Simon Philips does those little fills on the drums that sound a bit like a musical in-joke, as if he was trying to make the engineer laugh or something. I agree that it sounds a bit like a demo version. I wonder what the lyrics were. Were they about being "in the pool"?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 20 2007, 12:45

its a great track indeed. It remains me of the pool's in Greece and Spain. Im often there in the holidays and this song fits very well!
Nice catchy spainish style...
This could be a very nice music video. Mike sitting by the pool playing his spanish guitar, the drummer in the background and some water effects in the video. :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2007, 02:55

Well, if nobody knows the lyrics, let's make up our own.

IN THE POOL

When it's time to surf the net
I don't login unless I'm wet

To pay a bill, I must be damp
So I don't gotta lick the stamp

can't get enough
(splishin' splashin' like a fool)
of this liquid stuff
(oooooo... I like livin' in the pool! )

breakfast, lunch, and dinner's made
as finger-foods so I can wade

I don't give a drip if I'm all wrinkly
I'm stayin' put to tinkle tinkly

can't get enough
(splishin' splashin' like a fool)
of this liquid stuff
(oooooo... I like livin' in the pool! )

you might think that I should beat
a soggy, slipping, soaked retreat
get back on land and my two feet
but don't bet on that happenin'
I've sprouted gills and a dorsal fin
Now wouldn'tya say that's sorta neat?

(*the sound of mermaids singing*) gurggle... gurggle...

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2007, 16:07

Quote (raven4x4x @ Sep. 07 2002, 02:09)
In The Pool is an amazing piece, so relaxing and mesmeric. The question it, why are none of these short instrumentals on the album? Pieces like Afghan, Song of the Boat Men, Silent Night, Legend, Jungle Gardenia and Waldberg (The Peak) are some of his greatest achievements, and they're just B-sides on singles. It's probably the record company's fault.   :(

Are there any official releases with these songs on them?
Profile PM 
33 replies since Mar. 04 2001, 04:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net