Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: In the Pool< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 24 2007, 15:11

For some reason "In The Pool" reminds me a little of Amarok. Perhaps it's the 'croaky' sound used in both pieces?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2007, 17:51

Quote (imhotep @ Nov. 22 2007, 05:07)
Are there any official releases with these songs on them?

Well, the Elements box set has a few rare tracks on it, but I'm sure it's pretty expensive and hard to find. Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to find them officially.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2008, 07:27

Hi.I know this goes back to november but Jungle Gardenia and Waldberg (the Peak) are both available on The Complete.Silent night was the B side of Tattoo (I love Mike's version of Silent Night so much that i did my own version a few months before the birth of my first daughter-nothing like as good as Mike's but fun).Song of The Boatmen was,i believe a bonus cd single and Afghan i'm not sure (other than Elements-buy,it's worth the money).Legends is snuck in after Evacuation on The Platinum Collection,although it isn't listed as officially there.
 Mike's singles are still available second hand and are cheap still,as lond as they're not one of the rare ones.Does anyone have a copy of the Mysthical Spanish Tune? ;)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2008, 20:04

So how is everyone listening to "In the Pool" - is there an enhanced Discovery CD with it on?  (I have the original bought back in the day).
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2008, 18:30

In the Pool was only on the To France 12'' and CD single. However, you can get it  here.  :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2008, 03:03

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 19 2008, 18:30)
In the Pool was only on the To France 12'' and CD single. However, you can get it  here.  :)

Thanks Ugo - just getting it now.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2008, 04:04

Listen also to Polka, on the back of Arrival single.
Waldberg Peak is on the back of Mistake single
Argiers is good - on back of william tell overture
Jungle Gardinia - on back of Crime of passion.
I cant remember what Afghan is on the back of.

Oh I have just realised i have two copies of  Mike Oldfield's Single (Theme from Tubular Bells) it is V101 (which I think is Virgin Records first single?) with froggy went a courting on the back - with a big picture of a huge frog!! Wow.

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2008, 04:09

Although what said frog is doing to the other frog has caused my children to comment "Daddy what are those frogs doing?"
Quick question about this single though.When was it recorded as,although the a-side is the bagpipe theme it sound like it was recorded nearer Hergest Ridge,sharing as it does an oboe and a more pastoral,accoustic feel than the original TB vesion.

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2008, 04:26

I bought "In the Pool" on an EP record in the 80's. It seemed like the sequel to "Jungle Gardenia" or the other way around.....but     MO sure had fun with Yamaha DX-7's in those days. The glassy sound sequenced all the way thru "Foreign Affair" and heard on 5 miles out LP and others eventually  became a preset called "Tubular" on DX-7's. Around 1990 I bought a Kawai synth that also had a patch named "Tubular". MO sure  made his mark with synth manufacturers.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2008, 08:40

@ Ray: Afghan was on the back of Tricks of the Light, 7'' and 12''. Arrian Rutter told me. :)

@ Caveman: As far as I know, Mike hadn't composed HR yet when he released MO's Single. But maybe he already had the orchestration in mind, who knows. :) However, after a little more than a minute of acoustic guitar and oboe, MO's Single goes right back to the massed guitars as heard on the album, so I guess it's not a matter of composition, but it's just a bit of an exercise in what they call "variations on a theme". ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2008, 08:53

Thanks for that Ugo.So would i be right in assuming it was a whole new recording as opposed to simply an extract as is often (mistakenly) reported?The tempo is different and it would be one hell of a remix job  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2008, 13:48

It's a new recording. As far as I remember, Mike recorded it because of an explicit request from Virgin/Branson, who wanted a single. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2008, 19:46

Oh, and back to the OP - I quite liked it, but not sure how much it would impress a non-afficonado  :cool:

I'm thinking maybe the title track of QE2 as a good intro for first-time listeners?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2008, 04:41

Cheers Ugo.I adore this peice and was really surprised when i heard it as i had read it was just a section of TB (I assumed the opening section cos of the Exorcist).Wonderfull and worth the cost of an ad in Mojo magazine to get it.

--------------
Profile PM 
33 replies since Mar. 04 2001, 04:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net