Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I'm really feeling Incantations these days< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
shenry Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 15 2021, 07:32

Music, real music, not all these... things labelled as such, is a code. Great musicians like Mike "speak" the language of music. Lovers of music like us (hopefully) get some messages in such works of music.

Interesting. I think music that touches us deeply is (a lot of the time) beyond words. So yes, I agree that it is its own language.

It's fascinating to me that the vast majority of music criticism (writing about music) never really manages to EXPLAIN music. It usually restricts itself to discussing the social/historical background, analysing lyrics, or (in classical criticism mainly) analysing form and structure. It's rare that someone is able to put into words what certain pieces of music mean to me.

You can see that directly with Oldfield himself. He is as inarticulate with language as he is articulate in his playing - he genuinely can't explain in words what his music "means" and it's painful to watch him try when anyone asks him about this.
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2021, 09:39

It's fascinating to me that the vast majority of music criticism (writing about music) never really manages to EXPLAIN music. It usually restricts itself to discussing the social/historical background, analysing lyrics, or (in classical criticism mainly) analysing form and structure. It's rare that someone is able to put into words what certain pieces of music mean to me.

There's that famous quote:

“Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.” – Frank Zappa

which seems to sum things up nicely :)
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2021, 17:21

A neuroscientist could possibly go somewhat deeper into this subject. He could explain why certain pieces of music make us feel what we feel. Well, not totally...
Profile PM 
22 replies since Aug. 31 2021, 12:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net