Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I'm done, no more music< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 01 2005, 02:22

I know this may come as a shock to most of you and you may not like what I have to say.

I've decided to stop making music and to get on with my life. Lately I've been running into walls while trying to write and not having any inspiration come to me at all. It's been increasingly frusterating and keeps leaving me some nights with a sense of despair that I've lost something and it's like it's useless to go on anymore. It was maddening and frusterating and I've finally decided enough is enough.

But it's not only that. I'm starting to realise that there are more important things I should be worrying about...like life, and that I should start growing up and leave the basement and get out in the world.

I've decided to remove all my songs from my website as well. Seeing that it has been getting really hard to write anything, I've thought about my music in general and asked myself if I was even any good. I know some of you liked my tunes in the past, but lately I think I've been waning downhill. Losing my touch. And now I think I've finally hit the bottom. With this new realization I want to put behind me all the works I've done in the past. That was who I was and it clearly isn't me anymore so I'd like to put it behind me and I'd appreciate it if everyone else here that I know would do the same and not ask for my past songs anymore.

I posted a long paragraph on my website about my decision in more detail if any of you care to take a look.

http://www.geocities.com/shine64.rm/

I'm sorry if I've let some of you down, but I feel that I'm doing the right thing and taking the next big step in my life.

Thanks for listening.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 01 2005, 03:48

Your music makes the world seem better, and goodness knows we often need it to seem better than it is. This is a real loss to everyone who knows something of your music.

Does it have to be so final, and so total? Are you sure you don't just need a rest from it?

I play Tr3sLunas 2 all the time. It's a major source of pleasure and relaxation. Thank you for that. And thank you, too, for the steady stream of other pieces, including the last one ('newer' ) that you've posted in which I can't discern any decline at all - rather the opposite.

I don't know what else to say except good luck, Brandon.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 04:05

I've often heard it said that artists, sportspeople etc usually know when it's time to stop, and if you feel that way then that's it. It's no good forcing yourself to make music when you don't want to: if you do something for enjoyment then you need to stop when the enjoyment is gone. Perhaps one day you'll decide you might want to start again, perhaps not. The choice is yours. I wouldn't have gone so far as to totally remove all of the music from your website though. I know you are feeling frustrated with it at the moment but trying to erase it completely doesn't seem to me like the best idea. Again though, the choice is yours.

Good luck, and thanks for what you've given us.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 09:12

i sincerely hope today's date has something to do with this.

k
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 11:27

Can I steal all your past ideas for my own compositions? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: April 01 2005, 11:29

No.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 11:57

APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS APRIL FOOLS

and if not...then mate you're just a soft blind boy who lost his own self...poor u ;)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 12:13

That's what I call "the subtlety of an atom bomb". :D

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 12:21

Hmm, I was told that it's bad luck to fool people after noon on 1st April. Since it's after that time now where you are, I think I can safely believe you. As ktran and I were discussing you sound very sincere about it, though the files on the smc.sg7.org server are up

I can see how your recent engagement and other demands leave you very little time for composing, but I don't believe music is like a physical ability. You can't suddenly lose your ability to play or compose music. I don't see any reason abstaining from recording or even playing another note on your guitar. Unless you copied Hendrix and burnt it :) you still have your equipment forever more. I'm sure you'll keep it as a keen interest even if you wont pursue it as much as before

BTW: I still think the standard on 'Spiral Sky' is better than ever, and definately the best thing you've done
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 12:49

Quote (Jammer @ April 01 2005, 12:21)
Hmm, I was told that it's bad luck to fool people after noon on 1st April.

That's news to me, honestly. I definitely didn't take his post seriously, and when I think of the reply he gave me on the thread I opened just a couple of days ago, I start wondering why he would start questioning his own talent like that.

But if the matter is serious, I'm not quite sure whether I should say something or not. I'm nobody to judge someone's decisions on his own's life. Giving up completely on music is a considerable thing, and I don't think that's really possible. You'll never know if you'll get brand new inspiration tomorrow, and will reconsider your choice. What I can say is, I hope you took the right decision, and that it won't bring you any harm. I still thinking that getting rid of all your compositions is a quite dire thing. I hope you reconsider that soon.

Is this going too far?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 13:40

Brandon, I just read your message and all I can say is good luck in your future life. From your choise of words it shows you've given this well thought. I'm one of those people who really loves your music. You sure have a talent. So don't regret what you've made and shared with us. It may seem like a waste of time now, but we sure enjoyed it being waisted on us. Keep in touch.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 14:01

Brandon if this is not a joke...I sorta get it...felt so same many times...but...

well, your decission mate...

good luck in your life...and don't leave us here alone too long...

NAW THIS JUST MUST BE APRIL FOOLS' JOKE

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: April 01 2005, 20:24

Well, Booster and Ktran caught on quite well. April fool's, guys! :p

And actually I posted that message at 1:15 in the morning on April 1 so it wasn't in the afternoon (I have heard of the afternoon bad luck thing).

People can be gullible :). This was a good way to see who appreciated my stuff, though. Those people who don't usually speak up sometimes do in these situations lol.

Sorry to scare you all like that. I just couldn't resist. I haven't done anything like this for an April Fool in my life. And I didn't think many people would see it coming even if it was April 1. But there are keen eyes out there :).

And Sir M, you can do anything with my tunes that you want...I'd be interested to hear it...but don't claim ownership of them. :p

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 20:30

You certainly got me. Just don't expect sympathy from me when you do retire. ;)

Why is it that I wasn't thinking of April fools day at all?  :/

I'm expecting that long instrumental piece next week to make up for it.  :)

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
ktran
Unregistered

Posted: April 01 2005, 23:54

alright, that's it! we're boycotting your stuff!

seriously. at first I was convinced it was an April Fool's joke (hence my msg). and, well, considering we'd chatted about recording software last night... well... I thought it was unlikely.

but...

your writing is always so sincere, and the reasons you offered were quite plausible. so... I started doubting it. and, yes, I was ready to resign to the fact that you did in fact give up.

so, job well done, but DON'T EVER F-CKING SCARE US LIKE THAT AGAIN!!!

;)

khoa
oblique Offline

Posted: April 02 2005, 00:51

Couldn't miss us hey?

Good joke   :D

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Jameson Kimball Offline

Posted: April 02 2005, 01:37

HOLY S#!T!!!!!
You Freakin had me Scared/Sad/Happy....
Dont Ever Do THat AGAIN!!
Your MUsic is Great!!
I'm expecting that long instrumental piece next week to make up for it.

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/jamesonkimball
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 02 2005, 04:02

Having just planted an April fool post myself at the mvr forum (and a copy of it at oldfield.info HERE), I was well aware of the date when I read Brandon's post. But I thought - no, he wouldn't joke about this, would he?

But take care. That custard pie that suddenly hits you in the face one day, unawares; that bucket of water that falls on you as you walk into the room; that banana skin you slip on at that most inconvenient moment; that exploding cigar you receive in the post - when they happen, you will know they all come from me, Brandon Blume, spending the rest of my life plotting and planning my revenge.....

(... the sound of distant faint hysterical laughter ...)
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: April 02 2005, 04:30

Very good  ;)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: April 02 2005, 05:11

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ April 02 2005, 02:24)
Well, Booster and Ktran caught on quite well. April fool's, guys! :p

hell, this one was good, congrats Brandon;)

--------------
Profile PM 
30 replies since April 01 2005, 02:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net