Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I'm almost ashamed to say.....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 01:35

...that I haven't played this album for two years. If I fancy playing some of Mike's music, I will always opt for one of 10 albums these days. Unfortunately, this is not one of them.  :/

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 03:08

Don't be ashamed, Baggies - I don't think I've played it in above a year, either... :/

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 04:29

Nothing to be ashamed of really. Myself, I still listen to it quite a bit, but only to selected tracks, never to the whole album or even just one complete disc.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 07:48

It's very hard for me to listen to the Light album,and when I play Shade,it's only my favorite tracks.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 12:47

what?  This from the great fan of Nightshade, I am suitably appalled Tati.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 15:53

i play surfing as much as i can do. Also Tears from an angel, angelique, and First steps :)
Surfing is one of his greatest vocals i think. I just love it...

So i cant be ashamed  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 18:52

Quote (Tubularman @ Sep. 29 2007, 21:53)

Hehehehehehehe... "his" meant as Mike's? That's the Vocaloid software singing! Mike did almost no vocals at all! :D :laugh:. OK, he sang "Surfing, I'm surfing" in a very low voice, but IMHO that brief performance cannot be called "one of his greatest vocals"... :D
However, I agree about "Surfing" being a great song. :cool:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 19:33

For me, Light and Shade isn't a disappointment as some other recent albums from well-known artists have been.  Examples where I've felt very underwhelmed (sorry for going off-topic here):

Massive Attack - 100th Window
The Prodigy - Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned
Elton John - Peachtree Road

To draw a comparison, I think that The Millennium Bell is a lot more disappointing than Light and Shade.

Out of curiosity, I decided to list the tracks I like from Light and Shade:

Angelique
Blackbird
Our Father
Rocky
Sunset
Quicksilver
Resolution
Tears of an angel
Ringscape
Nightshade

That's five from each of the two discs.  But I usually listen to the whole album in sequence, only skipping the bonus tracks and Romance.

I don't compare Light and Shade to Amarok, for instance - it's totally different.  But while Amarok is great, I don't always have an hour to sit and listen to a track/album that requires my attention to fully enjoy.  Light and Shade is easier for me to listen to while I work, and I'm usually working, so it gets played more than Amarok. :)

Anyway, just saying I'm far from ashamed to play this album.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2007, 03:42

Quote (Baggiesfaninessex @ Sep. 29 2007, 01:35)
If I fancy playing some of Mike's music, I will always opt for one of 10 albums these days.

This is interesting. Makes me wonder, if I had to segregate my collection, which ten albums I would keep on hand as my current 'go-to' stash. Hmmm.... I suppose it might look something like this (and in no particular order):

01) Tr3s Lunas
02) Voyager
03) The Songs of Distant Earth
04) Light & Shade
05) Hergest Ridge
06) Tubular Bells 2003
07) Tubular Bells II
08) Ommadawn
09) Five Miles Out
10) Guitars

The usual 'this list is apt to change at any moment' disclaimer goes here.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 01 2007, 05:38

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 30 2007, 00:52)
Quote (Tubularman @ Sep. 29 2007, 21:53)

Hehehehehehehe... "his" meant as Mike's? That's the Vocaloid software singing! Mike did almost no vocals at all! :D :laugh:. OK, he sang "Surfing, I'm surfing" in a very low voice, but IMHO that brief performance cannot be called "one of his greatest vocals"... :D
However, I agree about "Surfing" being a great song. :cool:

i meant a song with lyrics, not mike singing.
but still a great song made by mike.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
9 replies since Sep. 29 2007, 01:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net