Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ian Gillan on Earth Moving< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Altered State Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 14 2001, 15:02

Can anybody tell me, why Ian Gillan (singer of the Rock Band Deep Purple) is entered in the Earth Moving booklet.
I don´t hear his voice on any song of this album.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 14 2001, 18:06

I would imagine that, like with Fish, Ian Gillan would have been involved with something that never made it onto the album. I'll investigate though...
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2003, 06:48

i read somwhere that FISH was hired by Mike to sing HOLY but from some reasons he didn't do it.
Mike wanted IAN GILLIAN to sing SEE THE LIGHT...
sadly i do not remember the page that it was written...

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2003, 11:38

were there many songs left over from the Earth Moving sessions then?
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2003, 11:42

well.....nobody really knows.And nobody knows if FISH and IAN GILLIAN versions are really existing somewhere in virgin archives (Were they recorded?)....anyway the only well known outtakes are different versions - EARTH MOVING DISCO VERSION,HOLY HARD MIX and some others.all of them can simply be found in internet.

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Dormouse Offline

Posted: July 22 2007, 15:08

Quote (Altered State @ Jan. 14 2001, 15:02)
Can anybody tell me, why Ian Gillan (singer of the Rock Band Deep Purple) is entered in the Earth Moving booklet.
I don´t hear his voice on any song of this album.

It's been bugging me - who is it that sings the vocal on the "Club Version" of Earth Moving that appears on the Platinum Collection? No-one's mentioned it on here I don't think, and it's soooooooooooo much better than the awful bland original on the EM album.

Perhaps this is the guy from Deep Purple? It's a proper "power ballad" / 80s rock version, far far superior.

Any ideas?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 22 2007, 18:47

@ Dormouse: nope, that's not him. That's Max Bacon, who sang additional vocals on the album version. The Platinum Collection's Club Version is also known as Disco Mix, though obviously there's absolutely no disco in this. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: July 23 2007, 05:54

Barry Palmer introduced to Mike Oldfield his friend John Payne. John did vocals for "Magic Touch", but Mike decided not to use his version. The song producer was Geoffrey Downes, who suggested inviting Max Bacon for singing the song. Finally on the European edition of "Islands" you can hear Jim Price singing and on the American - Max Bacon.

Owing to Downes production of "Magic Touch" this track is sounding heavy and its vocals are very strong. This is also very typical feature of the songs, that he wrote with the super-group Asia.

Max Bacon was singer with the short-lived band GTR which also consisted of Steve Hackett (Marillion), Steve Howe (Yes) and Jonathan Mover (Marillion). Producer was Geoff Downes as well.

John Payne was a fundamental part in the history of the now abandoned line-up of Asia (along with Geoff Downes).

The Max Bacon version of Earth Moving is also featured on his CD `From The Banks Of The River Irwell´.

;)
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2010, 11:47

Ian Gillan wanted to do Master of Ceremonies but he was only going to say 'Sequencers. Sequencers. More sequencers. Oops, a violin on 'Hostage'. Yet another sequencers. More sequencers'. Finally Mike banned him and he finished up accompaning Aled Jones for some candies and paying them.

Those are very well documented and based arguments that explain why Gillan's head doesn't show up anymore in a Mike's single ever.

He came up being a bit flirty with Anita Hegerland which rather didn't help the situation.

Still Maggie Reilly has been kind enough to omit a couple of episodes that sure would have helped enhance the tension if told.

Guy's gained respect being back to good old Purple.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 07 2011, 20:38

Sb'dy ther post s'me stff on E'th M'vn,

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 24 2021, 04:37

Quote (Ugo @ July 22 2007, 18:47)
@ Dormouse: nope, that's not him. That's Max Bacon, who sang additional vocals on the album version. The Platinum Collection's Club Version is also known as Disco Mix, though obviously there's absolutely no disco in this. :D

The word "disco" was not very commonly used in 1989. "Dance" was what you called it then. :)

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: April 29 2021, 11:49

yes if it says disco it has to be studio 54-related, with glitter balls and a lot of stones zombies - americano
Profile PM 
11 replies since Jan. 14 2001, 15:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net